Re: [steiner] Re: The Path of Knowledge

  • jarvi
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2000
      Thanks to you both for a very interesting discussion! I would like to add my two
      cents worth to it, if I may.

      It has seemed to me that the first step toward a greater objectivity is to
      realize that your past, family, and culture have created you (at least the part
      of you with which you consciously identify). There is no such thing as
      discarding this wholesale, but what you can do is practice "will reversal". This
      means that you habitually deny yourself the automatic response to any situation,
      knowing that this is invariably the one programmed into you. The use of politics
      to illustrate this effort toward objectivity, as Dr. Starman pointed out, is a
      very unfortunate one, because politics always arises from unconscious group
      karma. The "leader" is "chosen" who most perfectly embodies the strengths,
      weaknesses, and needs of a particular cultural and time. By definition, there
      can be absolutely nothing conscious about it. The "leader" is no more free to
      be objective about his choice of actions or opinions than he is free to lift off
      the ground and fly. To be a leader is truly to be a servant (however much one's
      ego wants it to be otherwise.)

      Sympathies and antipathies are equally tricky. It is not possible, nor
      advisable, to attempt to do away with them. Just as Lucifer and Ahriman are
      vital aspects of earthly experience and have many gifts to offer us as
      individuals and as communities as long as the Christ stands in the middle, so
      sympathies and antipathies (the experience of Lucifer and Ahriman) have much to
      offer us as long as we cultivate the heart knowledge which keeps us human in the
      midst of it all. The point is not to deny ourselves these experiences, the point
      is to know where they come from - to discriminate the SOURCE, and consecrate the
      experience for "thy will, not mine", thereby purifying and spiritualizing it so
      that it can serve progressive spiritual beings and purposes. At our best, we
      mediate between heaven and earth.

      Easy to say and hard to do!

    • starmann77@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2000
        <<Easy to say and hard to do!>>

        Everything on the spiritual path is, at first...
        Thanks for your contributions.