    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 23, 2001
      The "Calendar of the Soul"

      The cycle of the year can be a meditation in itself, through which you can
      sense the Beings that are behind the changing seasons, and Rudolf Steiner
      gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' to do this. It's 52 meditative mantras
      enabling you to consciously experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring
      within you as well as in outer Nature in the course of the year. These are
      well known to many anthroposophists; but the original Calendar published in
      1912 ALSO contained 12 Images of the Zodiac (to be meditated on to sense the
      working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day), a listing of the
      Moon's phase and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the
      'lunar' forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected
      with specific days of the week. We're presenting all that here---this hasn't
      been done since 1912, as far as we know.

      First, this week's meditative mantra in the original German and in
      translation:

      * M A N T R A # 3 7 (WINTER) *
      Zu tragen Geisteslicht in Weltenwinternacht
      Erstrebet selig meines Herzens Trieb
      Dass leuchtend Seelenkeime
      In Weltengrunden wurzeln
      Und Gotteswort im Sinnesdunkel
      Verklarend alles Sein durchtont.

      "To carry Spirit-Light in World-Winter-Night,
      Strives joyfully my Heart's Drive
      That light-filled Soul-Seeds
      In World-Ground take root
      And God's Word in Senses' Darkness
      Makes clear all Being it resounds through."

      This week's mantram:
      Throughout the Fall our Self-Consciousness of the World grows. Last week
      the divine world spoke in the soul's depths in a way we could sense, saying
      that if our deeds will be filled with its Light, we can be its channels to
      others, offering ourselves through it. This week it plants luminous seeds in
      the soul for future work, and we should feel ourselves striving to carry
      these into the world, as light-beings carrying the Spirit into the darknesss
      of matter, so that the divine working through us enlightens it.

      The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Sagittarius
      from Dec. 1st to Jan. 4th in our era. The symbolic image of the Archer done
      from Steiner's sketches & indications is attached to this post.

      Sunday December 23rd. Moon Pisces. Dagobert.
      Monday December 24th. Moon Pisces. Adam and Eve. 1st of 13 days of
      Christmas.
      Tuesday December 25th. Moon Aries. Birth of Jesus. Newton born 1642.
      Charlemagne crowned King in Rome 799.
      Wednesday December 26th. Moon Aries. St. Stephen, the first Martyr.
      Thursday December 27th. Moon Taurus. Day of John, author of the Gospel.
      Kepler born 1571.
      Friday December 28th. Moon Taurus. Day of Remembrance of the Innocent
      Children murdered by Herod.
      Saturday December 29th. Moon Gemini. The Prophet Nathan. Malthus the
      national economist died 1834.