Die Philosophy der Freiheit Pt. 2

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 2001
      Continued from Part One.

      In the second half of the book, he goes on to consider what influences our
      actions. He distinguishes between the motive (something temporary, chosen for
      a particular action), and the "driving force" of a person (the permanent
      drives in us, which results in our character), that inclines us to prefer one
      motive or another. He once again speaks of the 4 Levels as 4 types of driving
      forces that may make us act:

      Ideas & Concepts gained by pure thinking (intuition)
      Percepts gained by the senses.
      Mental pictures gained by combining ideas & percepts
      Feeling- sensations of pleasure/pain accompanying percepts.

      A preponderance of one or the other in a person makes one type of
      "characterological disposition" or temperament. (Yes, that's the 4
      temperaments: Fire, Earth, Air, Water.)

      Moral knowledge he describes as being gained in a similar way as other
      knowledge: observation shows us a percept (a situation); we draw by Moral
      Intuition the Idea of what is right and match it to the situation, creating a
      Moral Imagination as we do so---just as combining the concept & percept makes
      a mental picture. Then, our feelings experience all this on a personal level:
      in moral knowing, this leads us to Moral Technique, or how to make the Good a
      reality in our individual circumstances. Bernard Lievegood, who has worked
      extensively with the Philosophy of Spiritual Activity, pictured his
      understanding of Steiner's moral cognition in his "Forming Curative
      Communities" in this way:

      Concept or Idea--- Intuition Moral
      Intuition

      Mental picture--concept related to Moral Imagination-
      various percepts A picture of this related
      to the
      perceived
      individual situation

      Feeling ---how concepts gain concrete life Moral Technique -How
      to make
      that image a reality
      SITUATIONS PERCEPTS

      When the percept passes directly into being the driving force of an
      action, that's instinct; or, feeling may be made the driving force; or,
      mental pictures of deeds done by self or by others seen before. In all these
      cases, the subjective disposition affects the choice of a motive for one's
      action. But when pure Ideas are made the driving force, the acting is out of
      the universal, NOT the personal. The highest driving force thus is "...an
      action determined purely and simply by by its own ideal content. Such an
      action presupposes the capacity for moral intuitions (Ch. 9)."

      In short, just as Steiner strove to demonstrate that we are not limited
      in our thinking but are able to know Truth (because when we experience pure
      Ideas through Intuition we are having spiritual experience not limited by the
      body or senses), so he leads the reader to know that reaching up to this
      level in spirit also enables one to know the Good and to make this pure
      intuition the source of acting, in which case one truly acts freely, out of
      the highest in oneself, not influenced by the body or subjective drives.

      Steiner said that the proper English title for his book would be The
      Philosophy of Spiritual Activity, because only action from this source is
      free.