Re: [steiner] Nutrition

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2001
      >>>I am aware tha Steiner gave the advice that people should eat different
      grains on different days. Could anyone tell me what should be eaten on
      which days and why? Also can anyone recommend a book by Steiner (or related
      person) on nutrition.
      Studying "Knowledge of Higher Worlds" still sounds good to me.
      Thanks,
      Sarah

      *******Well, in the absence of any other suggestions so far, yours is what we'll take up for the Holy Nights. Perhaps between now and then people might be interested in some things posted here on the meditation and spiritual development in general?

      As for the grains, they are:
      Saturn (Saturn Day) -Corn
      Sun (Sun Day) -Wheat
      Moon (Moonday) -Rice
      Mars (Tyr's or Tuesday) -Oats
      Mercury (Wotan's or Wednesday)-Millet
      Jupiter (Thor's Day) -Rye
      Venus (Frey's Day) -Barley

      These are often used in the Waldorf kindergartens for snacks made from the 'grain of the day'. But as far as I've seen, the approach to nutrition in anthroposophy is more a matter of the temperament, whether one is Fiery (choleric), Airy (sanguine), Watery (phlegmatic)or Earthy (melancholic). It's a bit similar to the old Ayur-Vedic vision of foods having Rajasic, Tamasic and Saatvic qualities and therefore stimulating one part or another of man's being. The choleric is already fiery, and so has an affinity with fruits and sugar, but he should have the opposite (root vegetables, for instance) to balance out his already-fiery self; while the root-like melancholic craves fruit sugar & sweets (his opposite), etc. See Maria Geuter's "Herbs in Nutrition", and Steiner's brief lecture "Problems of Nutrition". There's lots more material in the Waldorf movement.

      Starman
    • George Thomas
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 13, 2001
        In regard to a book for study, I believe I would have
        a hard time as a regular study group participant
        delving into the depths of a hearty discussion of
        Steiner's works, the understanding of which, to me,
        relies upon a warm, personal connection with the
        subject matter, without the living breath of direct
        "face-to-face" interaction. However, I do enjoy
        reading the e-mails as they come in and especially
        appreciate Dr. Starman's commitment, which appears to
        keep this group running, to responding to our
        questions and comments with regularity.

        -George

        or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 13, 2001

          *******Why, thanks, George. Of course you're right that study here can't compete with or replace meeting together each night with people over the 12 Nights--- but that is hard to arrange with peoples' schedules, unless people are really committed to it, even if you're in an anthroposophic community. Here, the disadvantage of it not being very human at least has an offsetting advantage that the 'community' is worldwide--- anyone in the world interested in participating... so that it's a great substitute for those not in any anthroposophic community, which is most of us.