Public posting and copying to other lists

  • jeff auen
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 23, 2001
      The following is in response to cross posting ( taking posts from a public site e.g.. Anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com) to a critics list devoted to attacking Anthroposophy, Waldorf and Rudolf Steiner.

      To Gary,
      And that does not mean posts on that list (AP@yahoogroups.com) can be copied and placed elsewhere without a writer's permission. If I wanted something posted on WC, I would do it but I don't. If someone wants to join an AP oriented list and participate, that's fine but to copy posts and place them outside a particular list is not okay. This is common respect and I don't want it done with my posts.

      And this brings up a very vital issue for all list members. People should realize that everything one says on the net is open for public viewing. One can request not to have posts taken elsewhere or copied to other lists but it is done and there is virtually nothing to be done about it. All one can do is to appeal to personal ethics and if necessary to ostracize and boot people off a list for violations. So, intimate or personal posts should be sent privately to individuals if one wants privacy.

      What do people feel about this issue?? Should each list have this policy?? The Ark already has and if people want to read the policy it can be sent by the moderator.

      jeff auen
      -----

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 23, 2001
        In a message dated 11/23/01 10:47:21 PM, pacbay@... writes:

[...]

        *******My feeling as moderator here is that everything posted to a public
        mailing list is public. If you don't want it publicized, don't write it. If
        you do, expect it to be quoted.