Calendar of the Soul, Week 32

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2001
      The "Calendar of the Soul"

      The cycle of the year can be a meditation in itself, through which you can
      sense the Beings that are behind the changing seasons, and Rudolf Steiner
      gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' to do this. It's 52 meditative mantras
      enabling one to consciously experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring
      within you as well as in external Nature in the course of the year. These are
      well known to many anthroposophists; but the first Calendar published in 1912
      ALSO contained 12 images of the zodiac (to be meditated on to sense the
      working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day), the Moon's position
      in the constellations was listed for each night (for sensing the 'lunar'
      forces), and there was a list of saints and other spiritual figures to
      meditate on connected with specific days of the week. We're presenting all
      that here each week---this has not been done since 1912, as far as we know.

      First, this week's meditative mantra in the original German and in
      translation:

      * M A N T R A # 3 2 *

      Ich fühle fruchtend eigne Kraft
      Sich stärkend mich der Welt verleihn;
      Mein Eigenwesen fühl ich kraftend
      Zur Klarheit sich zu wenden
      Im Lebensschicksalsweben.

      I feel my Power bearing fruit
      Strengthening me, the World to lend;
      My Ego-Essence I feel forcefully
      Wending its way to Clarity
      In Life-Destiny-Weaving.

      The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images ("Imaginations") to awaken
      spiritual sight and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual hearing. The
      meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather
      reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience.
      original; I’ve kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from
      English to German.

      This week's mantram:
      The season of Autumn is the Michaelmas time, in which we are meant to
      develop Self (inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature
      (outer)-consciousness we had all Summer. Last week, we felt how the spiritual
      light of thinking sought to turn to the outer world, turning into will-forces
      for living and illuminating sense-existence, and thus started to turn the
      blind urges of the soul into creatively-shaping forces. This week's verse
      describes how these will-forces are now strong enough for the outer world to
      connect with us (it is 'lent' to us), so that we gain clear insight into the
      Destiny (karma) events in our lives.

      * T H E W E E K S P I R I T U A L L Y *

      The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Scorpio from
      Nov. 10th to 30th in our era. The symbolic image of Scorpio done from
      Steiner's sketches & indications accompanies this post as an attachment.
      The Moon positions and phases for the week are listed below along with some
      of the spiritual figures connected with the days.

      Sunday November 18th. Moon Sagittarius. 1789 Daguerre, the inventor of
      photography, born.
      Monday November 19th. Moon Sagittarius. Pontianus.
      Tuesday November 20th. Moon Capricornus. Amos (the Prophet). 1497 Vasco de
      Gama circumnavigated the Cape of Good Hope. 1910 Tolstoy died.
      Wednesday November 21st. Moon Capricornus. Festival of the Offering of Mary.
      Thursday November 22nd. Moon Aquarius. 1694 Voltaire born.
      Friday November 23rd. Moon Aquarius. Clemens (the companion of Paul).
      Saturday November 24th. Moon Pisces. 1632 Spinoza born.

      Also, Tuesday and Wednesday nights the Moon will pass quite close to Mars
      in the Southern sky.