colors

  • Janet
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 10, 2001
      I've misplaced my notes and need to know the colors and notes of the
      scale associated with the planets. I'm hoping someone on this list will
      have that information.

      Thanks,
      Janet
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 10, 2001
        In a message dated 11/10/2001 9:41:54 AM, crcjct@... writes:

        << I've misplaced my notes and need to know the colors and notes of the
        scale associated with the planets. I'm hoping someone on this list will
        have that information.

        Thanks,
        Janet >>

        i know the colors----
        Saturn Saturday blue-black
        Sun Sunday white
        Moon Monday violet
        Mars Tuesday red
        Mercury Wednesday yellow
        Jupiter Thursday orange
        Venus Friday green

        But I've seen more than one association of astrology and the notes of the
        scale. One I know that's supposed to be from out of anthroposophy has the 5
        half-tones (the black keys on the piano) as Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer and
        Leo, while C thru B then become Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius,
        Capricorn, Aquarius and Pisces. Another system (perhaps the one you're
        looking for) has:
        Saturn Sun Moon Mars Mercury Jupiter Venus
        G A B C D E

        The Sun's note is A above middle 'C', 440 cycles per second, which is the
        tone given off by a honeybee's wings. Bees are creatures of the Sun and show
        this by vibrating their wings 440 times a second, so that inside a beehive
        the note A is constantly sounding.

        Dr. Starman
      • Janet
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 11, 2001
          Dr. Starman...

          Perfect!!! This is exactly what I needed and had a feeling you'd know
          :)

          Thank you so much.!

          Janet

        • kaalsasa@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 6, 2002
            Could someone tell me about colors?  My son has loved dark green for
            a long time.  He is 8.  Karen Jo
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 6, 2002
              In a message dated 11/6/2002 1:16:57 PM Eastern Standard Time, kaalsasa@... writes:

              Could someone tell me about colors?  My son has loved dark green for
              a long time.  He is 8.  Karen Jo

              *******Here is the opinion of an anthroposophical art therapist friend of mine:

              Green is the color of incarnation. We stand in the middle of the heavens and the earth, connecting the cosmos to the earth. So we come from God, through the sun, and come here on earth through the Son, and through the "viridian green". We connect into the earth in all greens. So when you say that he loves the dark green,  it could mean that he is deeply incarnated into the earth already.  This sounds like a healthy indication for him..My question would be, is it a nice clean green?  A healthy looking green?  Look at the colors of nature, they're all different shades of green. And the greens of nature connect us to the earth. So congratulations on a good job! It sounds like he is on the earth standing on his own two feet.

            • kaalsasa@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 6, 2002
                Thanks.  That's great to hear.  *K*
              • golden3000997@cs.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 7, 2002
                  Hello!

                  I read Dr. Starman's answer and it is a very good one. However, there are
                  many things to consider when interpreting color effects. You said "for a long
                  time" and your son is only 8. If he showed a preference at a very young age,
                  he might have been responding to the "after image" rather than the color
                  itself. Take a white sheet of paper and place or draw a small shape of dark
                  green on it. Look at it for about 1 minute, then shift your gaze to the white
                  part of the paper. What color do you see? That's the after image and all
                  colors do the same thing. There was an artist in the 60's who painted the
                  American Flag in green and orange for the same reason. Young children are
                  most strongly affected by the after image, and this can be used to good
                  effect by parents if they are aware of it. Rudolf Steiner went into great
                  depth about the Four Temperaments in the education of children from 7 to 14
                  and there is a lot of material about color influences. In children younger
                  than 7, the temperaments are not necessarily used as an educational tool, but
                  you can certainly see the tendencies in the individual. Many anthropop
                  parents dress their little cholerics in red!!! If you don't see why, let me
                  know how familiar you are with the 4 temperaments in child development and if
                  you need more info. And for the color - do the after image test.

                  Of course, every child is a very complex riddle and there are hundreds of
                  factors to consider when trying to understand one individual - temperament,
                  astrology, heredity, genetics, early experiences, past life experiences,
                  cultural influences, family influences and sometimes just the "....what
                  the???...." factor!!!

                  Green is lovely, so is red, yellow, blue, orange, purple, pink, white, black,
                  brown, aqua, ad infinitum! What are your preferences? What colors predominate
                  in your home? Your clothes? Have you ever taken a Steiner oriented watercolor
                  painting class? Has your son? Is he in a Waldorf School? If so, perhaps you
                  would like to discuss this orientation with his teacher.

                  I am curious, though - it must be a very stong influence in his life and in
                  your family for it to be important enough for you to seek answers about.
                  Would you like to say anything more about its significance for you?

                  Let me know if you need reading material references. Please try the little
                  "experiment" yourself. And best wishes!

                  Christine
                • Lutz Baar
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 7, 2002
                    Hi Christine!

                    Thanks for your report on colors! A wounderful contribution to this
                    list - the kind one (hopes) to find when reading an anthroposophical
                    list.

                    Since you care about colors - have you visited my page with colored
                    planetary seals?

                    http://www.antropos.org/siegel.htm

                    Regards, Lutz

                    PS. Ever thought of moving to Sweden?

                    --- In steiner@y..., golden3000997@c... wrote:
                    > Hello!
                    >
                    > I read Dr. Starman's answer and it is a very good one. However,
                    there are
                    > many things to consider when interpreting color effects. ... ...
                  • LilOleMiss
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 7, 2002
                      Lutz, thank you for sharing this - it is incredibly beautiful!!!!!!!!
                      Sheila
                      Lutz wrote:
                      Since you care about colors - have you visited my page with colored
                      planetary seals?

                      http://www.antropos.org/siegel.htm

                    • Pacbay
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 7, 2002
                        Can we get an English translation of the copy of this site???

                        jeff
                        Lutz wrote:
                        Since you care about colors - have you visited my page with colored
                        planetary seals?

                        http://www.antropos.org/siegel.htm

                        Post to steiner@egroups.com

                        Search the archives of the group at:

                        Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 7, 2002

                          *******I didn't mention the complimentary color because that is only true up to the change of teeth, about age 6, and the child is 8. But thanks for bringing it up.
                          -starman

                          http://www.DrStarman.net
                        • golden3000997@cs.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 7, 2002
                            Hello Lutz,
                            Thank you for your "thumbs up". I did see the seals and I downloaded your
                            wonderful animation. I would love to have the single shots, too if possible.
                            We drew the seals freehand during my Foundation Year in Spring Valley. That
                            was 1976-77 and it was called "Threefold Center for Adult Education" then. My
                            primary teacher, who we followed out to Fair Oaks, was Rene Querido. We drew
                            the seals underthe tutelage of a wonderful British veteran Waldorf teacher, a
                            Mr. Mann. We weren't allowed to trace or use any device except a pie wedge
                            cardboard template since dividing a circle into equal 7th's is a bit tricky.
                            I finished all of the seals except Venus. It is something that I either need
                            to do before I die, or I think I'll be condemned to come back as a Waldorf
                            teacher again ! ; )

                            Seeing the seals transmute is a powerful experience. I suppose in an age of
                            more fully developed clairvoyance, or just ordinary imagination, one could
                            conjure the metamorphosis in one's own mind (probably the whole point) but
                            being a "bear of very little brain" I hadn't yet gotten it!

                            Blessings,
                            Christine
                          • eurythmy
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 8, 2002
                              Dear Christine,
                              I think I met him many times as my neighbour and in anthroposophical meetings. He was called for eons Moocky Mann and did design a bit of Michael Hal school buildings etc. in Sussex. He thought he was responsible of his forms in front of the spiritual world and was extremely committed. His house was full of furniture's and adornment, lamp shades etc he did himself.
                              at the end of his life with his wife Liselotte man he translated the Calendar of the Soul.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 8, 2002
                                I was very fortunate that I found Rudolf Steiner at Threefold Farm at the age of 16 (1972) and there were many wonderful people there through the time I lived in Spring Valley who were in their 60s, 70s, and even 80s and 90s! I was a rebellious and troubled teen, but my soul knew absolutely that everything they had to share was precious. I took every word to heart. And one of the most important aspects of my relationship with them all, including Alan Howard, Charlotte Parker, Irene Ellis and many whose names I forgot, but whose faces and spirits still shine brightly within me, was their absolutely non-judgemental approach to this wild child. They were absolute in their knowledge of how such and such should be done - what in our liberal age would be considered "dogmatic" - but in their personal approach, they were very accepting. If I had ever felt criticized or condemned for my lifestyle, I may have turned away, but my older guardian angels were always interested in the light they seemed to see within me and not much concerned with the darkness. I can't even express how much this has meant to me through the years.

                                When I paint with my children in Kindergarten, every paint jar and water jar is sparkling clean, the mood is hushed and I hand out each brush one by one and don't let go of it until the child (or adult) says "Thank you". I remember how surprised some of the other trainees were when Irene Ellis did this with us, but I loved it and knew that it was the true way. Within the true form, there is absolute freedom. And I have the most amazing and glorious watercolor paintings from my children to prove it.

                                Our present time has everything so confused. We are not supposed to say "You must do it this way." Yet we continually criticize and condemn the results. For example, in my office I sit right next to a single mom with a 5 year old boy (named Angel). She and I talk about children and education, but I try to be gentle in my Waldorf approach. She recently went to a parent-teacher conference and was told that Angel didn't draw very well!!!! Oh boy!! I looked at one of his drawings and there were three classic pre-change of teeth ladder forms! His drawings were energetic and positive and totally on target. To judge whether or not a five year old can draw "well" is totally absurd. Yet parents used to have a little trouble from time to time in the fact that I only gave the children in my Kindergarten four colors of block crayons (in separate baskets and cleaned regularly). I would have to sit with the parents and let them play with the crayons themselves to see how beautifully all of the other colors revealed themselves. I included "gold" or a yellow-orange because light yellow is hard to create a form with. The children, of course, never seemed to have any difficulties with it. During all of my years of teaching Kindergarten, we went every day from Story time to Crayon Drawing (except on Friday, which was a little upside down because of Watercolor Painting). I did not make the children tell me about their drawing, although I listened happily if they offered to. I put their name and date in the corner and at Christmas and at the end of the year, I bound them into a book which the child gave to his or her parents as a gift. Later, I had the parents bring in the book and I went through it with them, explaining changes in the child's development that one can see so clearly through the months.

                                I may have digressed a bit, but your phrase that Mr. Mann felt "responsible for his forms in front of the spiritual world" almost has me crying. If only more people could feel that way about their work and have something so precious within their souls, what a world it would be.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 8, 2002
                                  In a message dated 11/8/2002 12:43:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, golden3000997@... writes:

                                  I was very fortunate that I found Rudolf Steiner at Threefold Farm at the age of 16 (1972) and there were many wonderful people there through the time I lived in Spring Valley who were in their 60s, 70s, and even 80s and 90s! I was a rebellious and troubled teen, but my soul knew absolutely that everything they had to share was precious. I took every word to heart. And one of the most important aspects of my relationship with them all, including Alan Howard, Charlotte Parker, Irene Ellis and many whose names I forgot....

                                  ******Charlotte Parker was as close to an angel as I've ever met. She would be horrified at hearing such flattery, of course. ;->

                                • Julie Heynssens
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 8, 2002
                                    I'd like to introduce myself (sorry if this gets long,
                                    there is a bit of self-discovery in this process)�

                                    My name is Julie. I have been interested in Waldorf
                                    Education for about 6 months. I was looking for ways
                                    to help my two mildly learning disabled and talented
                                    children. At the time, I was working with both of
                                    them on rhythmic memory, spelling, and math drills.
                                    These drills seemed to awaken a part of their brain
                                    that had been dulled by too much information and not
                                    enough time to discover what it all means.

                                    About that time I found a mention of Waldorf Education
                                    on a website, and I started to investigate on my own.
                                    I found a lot of wonderful articles about how Waldorf
                                    Education guides children by letting them develop
                                    their potential. They use knitting, baking,
                                    woodcarving, and many other hands-on skills to develop
                                    perseverance and a sense of accomplishment in young
                                    children. I felt very peaceful and less rushed when I
                                    was studying the Waldorf curriculum. I began to
                                    wonder if this approach to education would be the best
                                    for my artistically gifted, melancholic,
                                    compassionate, but mathematically and spelling
                                    challenged daughter.

                                    Next, I discovered Dan Dugan and PLANS. At first, I
                                    was put off by some of his criticisms, but slowly
                                    began to realize the shallowness of his arguments. He
                                    was upset by any mention of God in any school. There
                                    were others that were upset by any mention of the
                                    "wrong" God in any school. They used obscure passages
                                    that were written by Steiner to "prove" that Waldorf
                                    Schools were racist or that they only taught medieval
                                    knowledge. I was persuaded to investigate Waldorf
                                    further when a read a speech give by Eugene Schwartz
                                    at Sunbridge College that addressed many of the
                                    criticisms of Dugan.

                                    Since that time, I have read a couple of books. The
                                    first was a collection of essays called "Waldorf
                                    Schools, Upper Grades and High School". I am normally
                                    a fast reader, but it took me several months to read
                                    this book. I would read an essay (or half and essay)
                                    and would have to stop to think about what I had just
                                    read, to absorb its meaning. Sometimes it took days
                                    for the full meaning to sink in before I was ready for
                                    more.

                                    Now I am reading a book on the Temperaments that I
                                    picked up at the local Anthroposophical bookstore. I
                                    was extremely impatient with this book at first. I
                                    knew what I wanted to know from this book, but I just
                                    couldn't skim it and find what I was looking for. So
                                    I actually sat down and read it. Then I got to a
                                    passage about a painting of Christ that had Matthew,
                                    Mark, Luke, and John surrounding him and how the four
                                    temperaments was reflected in these four Apostles. I
                                    was completely amazed. I would never have been able
                                    to comprehend all the subtleties of meaning in that
                                    passage unless I had spent the time to actually read
                                    the book. So much that of the information that we are
                                    expected to ingest for life in this modern world is
                                    "junk food" for the brain that deserves to be skimmed.
                                    The Anthroposophical works that I have come across
                                    deserve to be read.

                                    I am also reading a book by Georg Unger on
                                    "Forming Concepts in Physics". That book I haven't
                                    been able to pick up for a month because I am still
                                    wrestling with the philosophical implications of
                                    Quantum Mechanics. I should be able to get back to
                                    that one soon.

                                    I've been hanging out around Highland Hall and the
                                    local bookstore for a few months now and have been
                                    enjoying the conversation immensely. We are planning
                                    on enrolling Gwen in the 9th grade at Highland Hall
                                    next fall and I am rounding up the resources and time
                                    that I need to start their teacher training in
                                    January.

                                    Have Fun,

                                    Julie

                                    http://launch.yahoo.com/u2