Soul-Calendar, Week 29 After Easter

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2001
      The cycle of the year can be a meditation in itself, through which you can
      sense the Beings that are behind the changing seasons, and Steiner gave out
      the 'Calendar of the Soul' to do this. It's 52 meditative mantras enabling
      one to consciously experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you
      as well as in external Nature in the course of the year. These are well known
      to many anthroposophists; but the ORIGINAL Calendar published in 1912 ALSO
      contained 12 images of the zodiac (to be meditated on to sense the working of
      the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day), and the Moon's position in the
      constellations was listed for each night, for sensing the 'lunar' forces).
      There was also a list of saints and other spiritual figures to meditate on
      connected with specific days of the week, because the entrances and exits of
      human spirits are also connected with the cosmos and Time. We're presenting
      all that here each week---this has not been done since 1912, as far as we
      know, and is available nowhere else, not even at the Goetheanum.

      First, this week's meditative mantra in the original German and in
      translation:

      * M A N T R A # 2 9 *

      Sich selbst des Denkens leuchten
      Im Innern kraftvoll zu entfachen,
      Erlebtes sinnvoll deutend
      Aus Weltengeistes Kräftequell,
      Ist mir nun Sommererbe
      Ist Herbstesruhe und auch Winterhoffnung.

      The Glowing Light of Thinking
      Within oneself powerfully to enkindle,
      Life's meaningfulness interpreting
      Out of the World-Spirit's Power-Source,
      Is to me Summer's inheritance,
      Is Fall's Rest and also Winter's Hope.

      This week's mantram:
      The season of Autumn is the Michaelmas time, in which we are meant to
      develop Self (inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature
      (outer)-consciousness we had all Summer. Last week, we felt this growing
      self-consciousness cause our being to widen: thinking found itself able to
      solve seemingly-insoluable mysteries of life, and in our feelings, many
      wishes we had given up on now we see it possible to realize. This week, we
      should feel this growing power of Thinking as the gift of our Summer
      experience, making sense out of all that seemed senseless in life; giving us
      a feeling of a restful pause and an expectation of good in the coming Winter.

      some of the spiritual figures connected with the days. Attached to this post
      is the symbolic image of the constellation of the Scales---the Doctor said
      the Sun is under its influence from Oct. 13th to Nov. 9th in our era.

      Sunday October 28th. Moon Pisces. Simeon and Judas (relatives of Jesus).
      1704 John Locke died. 1466 Erasmus of Rotterdam born.
      Monday October 29th. Moon Pisces. Narcissus.
      Tuesday October 30th. Moon Aries. Claudius.
      Wednesday October 31st. Moon Aries. Full Moon. Wolfgang.
      Thursday November 1st. Moon Taurus. Catholic Festival of All Hallows
      (became since the seventh century celebrated, as an imitation of the worship
      that was used in the Pantheon in Rome for all the heathen Gods. The Pantheon
      was given to Pope Boniface IV by Caesar Photius and consecrated to all the
      Holies.)
      Friday November 2nd. Moon Taurus. Festival of All Souls (since 1020 as a
      Catholic Festival established).
      Saturday November 3rd. Moon Gemini. Malachi (the Prophet).