Calendar of the Soul, Week 27

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2001
      For those new to the 'Calendar': the cycle of the year can be a meditation
      in itself, through which you can sense the Beings that are behind the
      changing seasons, and Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' to
      do this. It's made up of 52 meditative mantras enabling one to consciously
      experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you as well as in
      external Nature in the course of the year.

      The 52 mantras are well known to many anthroposophists, but the original
      Calendar published in 1912 ALSO contained 12 images of the zodiac (to be
      meditated on to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the
      day) and the Moon's position in the constellations was listed for each night
      (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), as well as a list of saints and other
      spiritual figures to meditate on connected with specific days of the week,
      because the entrances and exits of human spirits are also connected with the
      cosmos and Time. We're presenting all that here each week---this has not been
      done since 1912, and is available nowhere else.

      First, this week's meditative mantra in the original German and in

      * M A N T R A # 2 7 *

      In meines Wesens Tiefen dringen:
      Erregt ein ahnungsvolles Sehnen,
      Dass ich mich selbstbetrachtend finde,
      Als Sommersonnengabe, die als Keim
      In Herbstesstimmung wärmend lebt
      Als meiner Seele Kräftetriebe.

      In my essence's deeps is a force:
      It excites a premonition-filled yearning
      That I in my self-contemplation find
      As Summer-Sun's gift, which as a seed
      In Autumn's approach warming lives
      As my Soul's Power-Drive.

      This week's mantram:
      The season of Autumn is the Michaelmas time, in which we are meant to
      develop Self (inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature
      (outer)-consciousness we have in Summer. Two weeks ago this developing
      self-consciousness placed us in a state of being completely alone; last week
      this developing ego-consciousness, the gift of the soul's experience in
      Summer, we carried into our own Wills & this gave backbone to the drives of
      our human spirits so that they had a stamp of Self-feeling; this is the solar
      essence we carry within us into the 'night-time' of the year. This week's
      verse describes a feeling of simply finding a driving force present in our
      soul depths as a result of this; when I look within, I find a strong yearning
      for what I sense must now begin to happen in the future; a powerful force
      lives in the soul's drives which we must sense as a seed of future
      development as we press on into the Autumn.

      some of the spiritual figures connected with the days. Attached to this post
      is the symbolic image of the constellation of the Scales---the Doctor said
      the Sun is under its influence from Oct. 13th on in our era.

      Sunday October 14th. Moon Virgo. Callistus.
      Monday October 15th. Moon Virgo. 1844 Friedrich Nietzche born.
      Tuesday October 16th. Moon Libra. New Moon. Gallus (the appointer of the
      cloisters of St. Gallen).
      Wednesday October 17th. Moon Libra. Hilarius.
      Thursday October 18th. Moon Skorpius. Luke (the Evangelist).
      Friday October 19th. Moon Skorpius. Ptolemäus.
      Saturday October 20th. Moon Sagittarius. Arthur.