Calendar of the Soul, Week 26 MICHAELMAS

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2001
      For those new to the 'Calendar': the cycle of the year can be a meditation
      in itself, through which you can sense the Beings that are behind the
      changing seasons, and Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' to
      do this. It's made up of 52 meditative mantras enabling one to consciously
      experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you as well as in
      external Nature in the course of the year.

      The 52 mantras are well known to many anthroposophists, but the original
      Calendar published in 1912 ALSO contained 12 images of the zodiac (to be
      meditated on to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the
      day) and the Moon's position in the constellations was listed for each night
      (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), as well as a list of saints and other
      spiritual figures to meditate on connected with specific days of the week,
      because the entrances and exits of human spirits are also connected with the
      cosmos and Time. We're presenting all that here each week---this has not been
      done since 1912, and is available nowhere else.

      First, this week's meditative mantra in the original German and in
      translation:

      * M A N T R A # 2 6 * (Michaelmas)

      Natur, deine mütterliches Sein,
      Ich trage es in meinem Willenswesen;
      Und meines Willens Feuermacht,
      Sie stählet meines Geistes Triebe,
      Dass sie gebären Selbstgefühl,
      Zu tragen mich in mir.

      Nature, your mother-like Being,
      I carry you in my Will-Essence;
      And my Will's Fiery Might,
      It steels my Spirit-Drive,
      That this bears Self-Feeling,
      To carry myself in me.

      This week's mantra:
      The season of Autumn is the Michaelmas time, in which we are meant to
      develop Self (inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature
      (outer)-consciousness we have in summer. Last week this developing
      self-consciousness placed us in a state of being completely alone, so that
      the Light which within could be shed on the otherwise dark outer world. This
      week is the mood of Michaelmas verse itself---the developing
      ego-consciousness we have at this season we can feel is the Being of Nature
      itself, and we carry this into our own Wills; then, the will can give 'steel'
      or backbone to the drives of our conscious human spirits, so that they have a
      stamp of Self-feeling; and if we flow with this, then, we have the experience
      of a second Self we carry within our ordinary selves.

      some of the spiritual figures connected with the days. Attached to this post
      is the symbolic image of the constellation of the Virgin---the Doctor said
      the Sun is under its influence from Sept. 8th to Oct. 12th in our era. We
      will send the JPEG of Libra next week. However, the lists increasingly seem
      to be not allowing JPEGs through either as attachments or even embedded in
      the e-mails themselves. Any advice?

      Sunday October 7th. Moon Taurus. Serapius.
      Monday October 8th. Moon Taurus. Ephraim (Joseph's Son). 1502 Founding of
      the University of Wittenberg.
      Tuesday October 9th. Moon Gemini. Last Quarter. Dionysius (he who conducted
      the counting of the years since the Birth of Christ and decided the the
      method for fixing the celebration of the Easter festival).
      Wednesday October 10th. Moon Gemini. Gideon.
      Thursday October 11th. Moon Cancer. 1531 Zwingli died.
      Friday October 12th. Moon Cancer. Wilfred (acted for the spreading of
      Christianity in Sweden in the 11th century).
      Saturday October 13th. Moon Leo. Angelus.