Incarnating Evil in the World

  • nicholas dee
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 23, 2001
      Dear Friends,
      Here is an article written by the President of the
      Anthroposophical Group in the Philippines pertinent to
      the latest events unfolding in our world today:

      Incarnating Evil in the World
      By Nicanor Perlas

      Without warning, terrorists struck at the symbols of
      US economic and political power: the World Trade
      Center and Pentagon. US authorities estimate around
      5000 dead. Together with the world, we mourn the waste
      of human lives and condemn the acts of terrorism.
      As we mourn, we are also concerned. The US is
      mobilizing for the �first war in the 21st century�
      (Bush). And most heads of states are supportive. Yes,
      justice must be pursued and terrorists held
      accountable. But does this mean engulfing the world in
      war and making it hostage to a vicious cycle of
      escalating violence?
      History has an answer. Violence begets violence and a
      greater capacity for more violence. For example, a
      �star wars� defense system will be useless against
      biological warfare weapons created through genetic
      engineering. Terrorist bombings incarnate evil in the
      world. A scorched-earth policy will only hasten the
      incarnation of greater evil in the world. And so will
      inaccurate reporting.
      One-sided reporting glorifies half-truths, thereby
      encouraging action on the basis of illusion. The US
      wants to lead the global war against terrorism. But is
      it morally qualified? US policies have created
      terrorist groups and have resulted in de facto
      terrorism against hundreds of thousands of innocent
      lives. The CIA trained Osama Bin Laden and other
      terrorists groups to serve its interests in Afghan war
      versus the USSR. In the process, the CIA resurrected
      jihad or �holy war�, a concept that was last used in
      the 10th century. To hurt Bin Laden, the US military
      bombed a �chemical weapons factory� in Sudan,
      destroying half of the country�s pharmaceutical
      industry. Tens of thousands of Sudan�s poor died for
      lack of medicines. Yet the US blocked a UN
      investigation of their terrorism against the Sudanese.

      Half-truths also whip up emotions. Imbalanced
      reporting is fueling division and hatred against
      innocent Muslims and those that look �Arabic�. In the
      US, Pakistani taxi drivers are being stabbed. Deli
      owners of Middle East origin are being forced to close
      shop. Mosques are being shot at and defiled with
      blood. This last is ironic given that the CIA often
      used mosques as fronts for their recruitment of Muslim
      fighters during their clandestine war with the
      Russians in Afghanistan.
      Superficial media reporting is also encouraging a
      narrow, materialistic response to the tragedy. Trauma,
      especially a national one, requires sensitive
      handling. There has to be an in-depth, sober,
      objective process of taking stock of the root causes
      of global terrorism and developing an appropriate
      response to it. Is the US reaping the terrorist
      policies it has sowed? Why the intense hatred for the
      US? Will the ordinary US citizen awaken to the global
      impacts that US government policies are having? Are US
      economic policies that one-sidedly glorify competition
      and profit over equitable human development, resulting
      in massive poverty, de facto terrorist policies?
      From Rudolf Steiner we know Ahriman prepares his
      �incarnation� by, among others, fostering illusion,
      division, half-truths, and materialism in society. If
      the present hysteria for bloody revenge continues and
      the media continues to fan the flames of hatred, then
      we can only expect more evil, violence and devastation
      to be sown in the world.
      On the individual level, humanity has been forced to
      cross a threshold. The sense of security is gone. US
      friends write. They no longer feel secure. They now
      join others, all over, who know that physical safety
      is an illusion in today�s world. All of humanity now
      has to learn �to live out of pure trust, without any
      security in existence, trust in the ever present help
      of the spiritual world� (Steiner). They have to turn
      to the resources of the Spirit to make the best of the
      present tragedy.
      Fortunately global civil society organizations,
      including those in the US, are starting to give a
      different, more-balanced picture. As the independent
      cultural force in their societies, they are starting
      to counter one-sided political and economic reporting
      and are providing alternative analysis and action on
      the US tragedy. They are also bringing into
      discussion the quality of soul needed to confront the
      global trauma.
      The terrorist attack in the US is tragic. But an
      irrational pursuit of war, including the attendant
      intrusion to privacy and the possible rebirth of the
      totalitarian state, will be even more tragic. It will
      drag humanity into the abyss.

      Nicanor Perlas is also the author of the recently
      launched book entitled, "Shaping Globalization". You
      may see his group's website at www.cadi.ph

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 24, 2001
        >>>....US policies have created
        terrorist groups and have resulted in de facto
        terrorism against hundreds of thousands of innocent
        lives. The CIA trained Osama Bin Laden and other
        terrorists groups to serve its interests in Afghan war
        versus the USSR. In the process, the CIA resurrected
        jihad or “holy war”, a concept that was last used in
        the 10th century... <<

        *******The writer is in a world of fantasy. First, name one terrorist group the US has created, please. This can be done only by Orwellian distortion of the meaning of the word 'terrorist' to apply to soldiers fighting a war against other uniformed soldiers, it seems to me. Second, the 'jihad' or Holy War was invoked against Israel and its Western supporters in the 1967 and 1973, by Iran against the US in the 1970s and by Iraq against the West in the 1990s. 'Not used since the tenth century', indeed.

        And for the last time, Osama bin Laden was a wealthy Saudi converted to fundamentalist Islam who went ON HIS OWN to Afghanistan to join a Holy War of Islam against 'godless communism'. As a multimillionaire, he needed and received no 'financing' from us. He was never controlled or even associated with the CIA, by his own words. He and the US BOTH financed the freedom fighters in Afghanistan---we so they could be free, he and his buddies to turn Afghanistan into the Dark Ages, and his side took over after defeating the Soviets by killing the opposition leaders of the other mujahedeen who were not backward like the Taliban, whom EVEN THE IRANIAN MUSLIM LEADERS look down on as 'medieval'.

        Feminists have complained for years about the lawyer's strategy of 'blaming the victims'. I for one would like to hear them and everyone else respond to this disgusting strategy being used by anti-freedom ideologists to denigrate the memory of the innocents killed by fanatics.

        Start justifying murder and terrorism, and you have left all 'spiritual' thought behind, whether you call yourself an 'anthroposophist' or whatever.

        This was a crime, and the perpetrators will be hunted down and prevented from ever doing it or anything like it again.

        And as for this:
        >>>...Ahriman prepares his “incarnation” by, among others, fostering illusion, division, half-truths, and materialism in society...<<<

        *******That is sure true--- but the writer is saying that we in the free world are the ones creating illusions and half-truths. From my perspective, it seems to me the most dangerous falsehoods were given out by the Ahrimanic Lenin and his ilk... and the materialistic distortion of the spirit called present-day 'fundamentalist Islam' (where 'heaven' has 72 prostitute women waiting for brave warriors, and all the other literally-interpreted symbolic scripture) is just a continuation of the same, a corrupt half-truth being used for the same purposes by the same type of hate-filled souls who want to squelch all freedom.

        Starman
      • nicholas dee
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2001
          What's Going On?
          By Michael Albert

          The U.S. response to September 11 seeks to benefit
          elites in the U.S., and, to a lesser degree, around
          the world. There are various goals.

          --> Destroy the bin Laden network
          --> Topple the Taliban
          --> Build a coalition fighting selected terrorists
          internationally in exchange for trade and foreign aid
          benefits and the right of coalition partners to pursue
          their own dissidents locally
          --> Channel fear and anger to cut education, social
          services, health care, and other socially desirable
          expenditures
          --> Expand military spending
          --> Enlarge police and surveillance budgets
          --> Curb civil rights
          --> Deny and even aggravate just grievances around the
          world when doing so serves corporate interests even if
          it also fuels the despair that breeds terrorism
          --> Ignore international legality to curb notions that
          the U.S. ought to obey international law
          --> Avoid defining terrorism as any attack on
          civilians for political ends, to avoid indicting the
          U.S. and its allies.

          But if you are Bush, how do you juggle so many goals
          simultaneously?
          How do you neutralize bin Laden, topple the Taliban,
          and strengthen regimes supportive of U.S. interests,
          yet avoid destabilizing others we want to maintain?
          How do you create a domestic dynamic that expands
          police and military powers and that redistributes
          wealth upward by gutting social programs and enhancing
          regressive taxes, yet retain popular support? And
          what about dissent...how does that impact your
          choices?

          The good news is that I don't think it can all be
          done, supposing dissidents react with sufficient vigor
          and clarity. The campaign to elaborate an
          anti-terrorism war into national policy is
          ill-conceived.
          That last little proviso -- that they must avoid
          clearly defining terrorism -- is the Achilles heal of
          the entire undertaking. With sufficient resistance,
          the campaign will succumb to its own obvious
          hypocrisy. U.S. policy makers are terrorists too.
          There are numerous indicators that activists will have
          the room to mount the needed resistance and help
          communicate the towering hypocrisy. In the past
          thirty years I have rarely addressed an audience too
          big to fit in a large auditorium - but in the last two
          days I was on a national radio call-in with two
          million listeners for two hours, and I was on NPR,
          again nationally, for an hour. Demonstrations and
          gatherings are occurring locally all over the country,
          with education and solidarity resulting. Many feel
          this is the worst of times for leftists. But while
          it is certainly a time of great grief and fear, and a
          time of immense danger, and while it is certainly a
          time of widespread confusion and nationalism,
          nonetheless, regarding communicating with previously
          apolitical people, there are many more openings than
          closings of opportunity occurring, both on the local
          and on the national scale.

          So, again, if you were Bush, what would be your
          preferred agenda, if you could have your way? Here is
          my best guess...at the moment, with admittedly little
          information available.

          First, you would elicit fear and nationalism. Second,
          you would convince populaces worldwide that there is a
          long-term war we must fight (the same war that was at
          the core of Reagan's foreign policy twenty years ago),
          which requires a massive allotment of resources and
          energy, plus lock-step patriotism. Third, after
          saber-rattling sufficiently to arouse fear and
          passion, you would ratchet down the rhetoric in accord
          with the
          necessity to avoid actual military losses or risking
          destabilizing friendly regimes, and to avoid appearing
          to want to punish civilians. Fourth, to have a good
          shot at getting rid of the Taliban, you would close
          the borders of Afghanistan, starve the country, and
          hope that Taliban members start to defect and that the
          country rises up in anguish and despair. Fifth, to
          fill the ensuing power vacuum, you would support
          Afghanistan's Northern alliance. Most important,
          sixth, to diminish the groundswell of anti-war
          opposition to your combating terror with even
          greater terror, you would send food to Afghanistan's
          borders, and perhaps even drop food from planes
          inland. But, if you could have your way, not too much
          food, of course. Indeed, if you remained free to do
          so, you would provide only a pittance compared to the
          need generated by closing the borders in the first
          place and by removing larger sources of aid. Your goal
          would be to induce starvation sufficient to topple the
          Taliban. It would not deter you that such behavior is
          precisely the definition of terrorism -- attacking
          civilians for political aims - because seventh, you
          would blame the ensuing starvation, caused by your
          closing the borders, on the Taliban itself. Finally,
          you would claim, eighth, that we are humanely seeking
          to avoid innocent suffering, even as the starved
          bodies pile up.

          Assuming Bush and his advisors can overcome some
          internal opposition from their right and reign in the
          momentum to shoot someone that all the troop and
          missile movements have unleashed, I think they will
          pursue more or less the above agenda. This is not the
          worst set of policies the U.S. government could adopt
          -- that would be nukes and the like -- but it would be
          horrendous in its cynical exploitation of pain and
          suffering, and in its expansion of each, and it must
          therefore be opposed with as much energy as people of
          good will can muster. If we do our job well enough and
          fast enough here in the U.S., and if others throughout
          the world do so too, then the pressure on Bush may be
          great enough that the borders will reopen, the food
          shipments will become more than opportunistic and
          marginal, and massive new tragedy will be largely
          averted. If we are slower, more people will suffer.
          The same holds for the more long-term aims of
          revamping laws, budgets, and alliances on behalf of
          militarism, profit-seeking, and right-wing repression.
          The degree these are limited or reversed will reflect
          the extent of our organizing and opposition.

          On September 11, I wrote:

          "In coming weeks we may suffer a kind of celebration
          in America, a celebration of security and of power, a
          celebration of surreptitious information retrieval, a
          celebration of arms growth, and perhaps of
          assassination, all described as virtuous goals rather
          than uncivil abominations, all touted as if the terror
          victims will be honored rather than defiled by our
          preparing to entomb still more innocent people
          around the world. Normal good-hearted Americans will
          weep for the suffering that today's events exacted and
          hope to create a world in which such hate and
          callousness disappears. But I fear that America's
          leaders will cynically bulk up their ammo belts while
          seeking to make ubiquitous their listening
          devices-trying to relegate public freedoms to an
          incinerator. In this environment, people of good will
          must explain
          as often as necessary that terrorism is horrific and
          insane, but so to is capitalist business as usual. And
          we must not step back from dissent, but must instead
          work harder to oppose all kinds of injustice with
          massive public demonstrations and civil disobedience."

          Events are unfolding as indicated, and my view is
          essentially unchanged.

          For the government, the answer to terrorism shouldn't
          be reciprocal terrorism - whether by bombing or by
          starving civilians. The answer to fundamentalism
          shouldn't be to mount a military crusade abroad and to
          curb civil liberties at home. The answer to
          hypocritical inhumanity shouldn't be to
          opportunistically exploit fear. The government should
          not use the excuse of a battered economy to enrich the
          rich and empower the powerful while gutting social
          programs to hurt the poor and weak.

          And for the left, the answer to entreaties that we
          should forgo dissent shouldn't be passive obedience,
          but, active disobedience. We should mount our peace
          movement against the terror war, organize our
          humanitarian opposition to starvation tactics, renew
          our resistance to the embargo of Iraq, intensify our
          rejection of Israeli and U.S. rejectionism regarding
          Palestinian rights, and finally enlarge our
          anti-globalization movement to not only demand just
          and equitable institutional successors to the IMF,
          World Bank and WTO, but also improved adherence to
          international law and binding General Assembly
          adjudication of disputes among nations.

          Some will call us un-American. Some will call us
          callous. Some will cry treason. Some will threaten us.
          So?

          At the same time as many opponents of change are very
          angry and vocal, millions upon millions of far less
          noisy Americans are trying to understand recent events
          and the broader context in which they have occurred
          and are approaching the matter with considerable
          openness.

          This is not a time to hunker down in subdued silence.
          It is a time to go out and organize. To talk, talk,
          and talk.to demonstrate, to activate, to use the
          knowledge and access that we have.

          Forget about hating Bush and Powell and the rest. Yes,
          these people give the orders. They hand out the bombs.
          They withhold the food. But institutions create the
          pressures that mold them. Those institutions and
          associated policies must be our focus.

          But what to do?

          Handing out leaflets, arguing against war with a
          co-worker, urging a relative to think twice about our
          own role in international terrorism, going to a
          demonstration, sitting in, doing civil disobedience,
          or even building movements to do all these things
          collectively, may all seem momentarily insignificant
          in light of the calamity that could befall
          Afghanistan and the world in coming weeks. But the
          fact is, these are the acts that can accumulate into a
          firestorm of informed protest that curtails Afghani
          starvation, that derails the war on terrorism, and
          that even raises the cost of profiteering so high that
          the institutions breeding such behavior start to
          buckle.

          War, whether it is waged with kamikaze planes, fleets
          of missiles and bombers, or starvation food policies,
          is a horrendous crime against humanity. It invariably
          rends apart life and justice and civility. It benefits
          no one other than the Masters of War. War in all its
          forms is an orchestrated atrocity that mandates our
          militant, unswerving opposition. But we should also
          remember that even after we curb Bush's rush to
          violence and forestall his starvation scenarios, the
          on-going day-to day grievances and injustices of our
          world will still need attention. Ultimately, our
          opposition must transcend current events.

          Alienation, poverty, disease, starvation, death
          squads, and terror-these and other atrocities stem
          from basic institutions. The institutions must become
          our lasting target.

          http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 5, 2001
            More from the "Blame America First" school of organized whining.

            nicholasd9@... writes:
            >>>The U.S. response to September 11 seeks to benefit elites in the U.S.,
            and, to a lesser degree, around the world. There are various goals... (To)
            Channel fear and anger to cut education, social services, health care, and
            other socially desirable
            expenditures....

            *******Um... first off, this has NOTHING whatever to do with anthroposophy;
            and second, an elementary look at spiritual science would reveal that one of
            its pillars is that the governement ahd NO PLACE "funding" and controlling
            education. So this poster clearly knows nothing of Steiner, and is just using
            the list for this venomous bile.

            --> Deny and even aggravate just grievances around the
            world when doing so serves corporate interests even if
            it also fuels the despair that breeds terrorism....

            *******So in other words if you keep these people from killing all Jews, you
            deserve to have innocent people bombed. I see.

            >>> Avoid defining terrorism as any attack on
            civilians for political ends, to avoid indicting the
            U.S. and its allies.

            *******Like to tell us what civilians the big bad ol' US has been attacking
            lately?

            >>>That last little proviso -- that they must avoid
            clearly defining terrorism -- is the Achilles heal of
            the entire undertaking...U.S. policy makers are terrorists too.

            *******You don't know how to spell the word "heel"---perhaps the words
            "hyperbole" and "demagoguery" are unknown to you as well. So our elected
            officials are "terrorists", hmm? Are all cops "pigs" too? All soldiers
            "baby-killers"?

            *********You seem to still manage to spew your poisionous gibberish fine.

            long-term war we must fight (the same war that was at the core of Reagan's
            foreign policy twenty years ago), which requires a massive allotment of
            resources and energy, plus lock-step patriotism....

            *******So it's all a right-wing conspiracy, eh. Would you care to explain why
            Tony Blair is leading it then?
            There IS a long-term war, between the forces of freedom and progress and
            those of backwardness. Since you're on the side of the latter (Marxism),
            you'll never see it.

            >>>On September 11, I wrote:
            "In coming weeks we may suffer a kind of celebration
            in America, a celebration of security and of power, a
            celebration of surreptitious information retrieval, a
            celebration of arms growth, and perhaps of
            assassination, all described as virtuous goals rather
            than uncivil abominations, all touted as if the terror
            victims will be honored rather than defiled by our
            preparing to entomb still more innocent people
            around the world....

            *******'Innocent' people like Arab Muslim extremists that assassinate all
            Jews and Americans on orders from Bin Laden, incinerate office workers, etc.?

            This gets my vote as the sickest post by a hate-filled leftist I've seen
            in the past month. I hope this guy crawls back under whatever rock he crawled
            out from under.

            >>>Alienation, poverty, disease, starvation, death
            squads, and terror-these and other atrocities stem
            from basic institutions. The institutions must become
            our lasting target. >>

            *******So all our institutions are evil and therefore those folks deserve
            what they got? I vote we deport this guy to Afghanistan.

            Starman
          • nicholas dee
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 8, 2001
              Our Father, hallowed be Thy name, Thy Kingdom come,
              Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us
              this day our daily bread and forgive us our
              transgressions as You forgive those who are
              transgressing against us. And lead us not into
              temptation but deliver us from evil, for Thine is the
              Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.

              Absolute Infinite Beingness, God. Everlasting Life,
              Love and Mercy. Manifesting Yourself in Yourself as
              the Total Wisdom and Almightiness, enlighten our minds
              to understand that You are the Truth, clean our hearts
              to reflect Your Love towards You and towards all other
              human beings. Amen.

              http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1