Calendar of the Soul, Week 24

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 2001
      For those new to the 'Calendar': the cycle of the year can be a meditation
      in itself, through which you can sense the Beings that are behind the
      changing seasons, and Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' to
      do this. It's made up of 52 meditative mantras enabling one to consciously
      experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you as well as in
      external Nature in the course of the year.

      The 52 mantras are well known to many anthroposophists, but the original
      Calendar published in 1912 ALSO contained 12 images of the zodiac (to be
      meditated on to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the
      day) and the Moon's position in the constellations was listed for each night
      (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), as well as a list of saints and other
      spiritual figures to meditate on connected with specific days of the week,
      because the entrances and exits of human spirits are also connected with the
      cosmos and Time. We're presenting all that here each week---this has not been
      done since 1912, and is available nowhere else.

      First, this week's meditative mantra in the original German and in
      translation:

      * M A N T R A # 2 4 *

      Sich selbst erschaffend stets,
      Wird Seelensein sich selbst gewahr;
      Der Weltengeist, er strebet fort
      In Selbsterkenntnis neu belebt
      Und schafft aus Seelenfinsternis
      Des selbstsinns Willensfrücht .

      One's Self continually shaping,
      Becomes Soul's Being of itself aware;
      The World-Spirit, it strives forward
      In Self-Knowledge newly living
      And shapes out of Soul-Darkness
      The Self-sense's Will-Fruit.

      This week's mantram:
      The season of Autumn is the Michaelmas time: in the Summer 'waking
      dream-state' , while our consciousness was turned outwards to Nature, a
      spiritual 'seed' was planted, and it now ripens into a Self-consciousness
      instead of Nature-consciousness. This week, the Soul becomes aware of itself
      through this constant creating of that Self; this Self is the World-Spirit
      itself in us, the universe aware of itself through us. This now reaches into
      the dark soul-contents; and through this sensing of Self, the Will, its
      fruit, is unleashed.
      About Michaelmas:
      At the time of change from Summer to Winter, we cease to be conscious of
      the external world and instead become conscious again of ourselves, as if
      awakening from a summer dream-state. Our Nature-Consciousness strives to
      become inner Self Consciousness. But at first we may feel FEAR due to no
      longer being able to lean on outer things for consciousness, which is why the
      symbol of the warrior Archangel is placed before us at Michaelmas, summoning
      us to have courage---for we are not going to die as our summer
      nature-consciousness wanes, but rather AWAKEN.
      'Und so langt du nicht hast dies, 'Stirb und Werde!'
      Du ist nur ein trüber Gast en der dunkeln Erde.'
      (Quoted from Goethe by memory, apologies for errors.)
      And so long as you do not have this, "Die and Become!"
      You are but a troubled guest on a darkened Earth.
      May this Michaelmas find us all with the strength needed to face the
      Dragon.

      some of the spiritual figures connected with the days. Attached to this post
      is the symbolic image of the constellation of the Virgin---the Doctor said
      the Sun is under its influence from Sept. 8th to Oct. 12th in our era.

      Sunday September 23rd. Moon Scorpius. 63 B.C. Augustus born.
      Monday September 24th. Moon Sagittarius. First Quarter. 1750 the Natural
      Scientist G.
      Werner born.
      Tuesday September 25th. Moon Sagittarius. Cleophas (he who was a leader in
      the
      Gospels).
      Wednesday September 26th. Moon Capricornus. Justina, who converted the
      Cyprian
      Magicians. Justinianus I, the founder of numerous
      Churches.
      Thursday September 27th. Moon Capricornus. Cosmas u. Damian, famous medical
      benefactor of the 3rd Century. 1825 Opening of the first railway.
      Friday September 28th. Moon Aquarius. 1895 the Natural Scientist Pasteur
      died.
      Saturday September 29th. Moon Aquarius. Michael (the Archangel).

      Dr. Starman

      P.S. The Moon will pass close by the planet Mars in the Southern sky Monday
      night.