flag waving and I

  • eurythmy
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 20, 2001
      Retune the religious rhetoric of EVIL

      A lot of traditional USA and western religious values are used for rallying people. The notion of evil is famously in the Lords prayer. Tune this into your own individual values: i.e. what is the daily bread meaning in my physical needs, what is the doing of others in my relationships, what is temptation in my feelings, what is evil with my individual destiny? If you are part of a group faith be it officially Christian or not, how can you artistically translate this prayer into your usual words? Please share your experience.

      Franky

    • nicholas dee
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 23, 2001
        Dear Friends,
        Here is an article written by the President of the
        Anthroposophical Group in the Philippines pertinent to
        the latest events unfolding in our world today:

        Incarnating Evil in the World
        By Nicanor Perlas

        Without warning, terrorists struck at the symbols of
        US economic and political power: the World Trade
        Center and Pentagon. US authorities estimate around
        5000 dead. Together with the world, we mourn the waste
        of human lives and condemn the acts of terrorism.
        As we mourn, we are also concerned. The US is
        mobilizing for the �first war in the 21st century�
        (Bush). And most heads of states are supportive. Yes,
        justice must be pursued and terrorists held
        accountable. But does this mean engulfing the world in
        war and making it hostage to a vicious cycle of
        escalating violence?
        History has an answer. Violence begets violence and a
        greater capacity for more violence. For example, a
        �star wars� defense system will be useless against
        biological warfare weapons created through genetic
        engineering. Terrorist bombings incarnate evil in the
        world. A scorched-earth policy will only hasten the
        incarnation of greater evil in the world. And so will
        inaccurate reporting.
        One-sided reporting glorifies half-truths, thereby
        encouraging action on the basis of illusion. The US
        wants to lead the global war against terrorism. But is
        it morally qualified? US policies have created
        terrorist groups and have resulted in de facto
        terrorism against hundreds of thousands of innocent
        lives. The CIA trained Osama Bin Laden and other
        terrorists groups to serve its interests in Afghan war
        versus the USSR. In the process, the CIA resurrected
        jihad or �holy war�, a concept that was last used in
        the 10th century. To hurt Bin Laden, the US military
        bombed a �chemical weapons factory� in Sudan,
        destroying half of the country�s pharmaceutical
        industry. Tens of thousands of Sudan�s poor died for
        lack of medicines. Yet the US blocked a UN
        investigation of their terrorism against the Sudanese.

        Half-truths also whip up emotions. Imbalanced
        reporting is fueling division and hatred against
        innocent Muslims and those that look �Arabic�. In the
        US, Pakistani taxi drivers are being stabbed. Deli
        owners of Middle East origin are being forced to close
        shop. Mosques are being shot at and defiled with
        blood. This last is ironic given that the CIA often
        used mosques as fronts for their recruitment of Muslim
        fighters during their clandestine war with the
        Russians in Afghanistan.
        Superficial media reporting is also encouraging a
        narrow, materialistic response to the tragedy. Trauma,
        especially a national one, requires sensitive
        handling. There has to be an in-depth, sober,
        objective process of taking stock of the root causes
        of global terrorism and developing an appropriate
        response to it. Is the US reaping the terrorist
        policies it has sowed? Why the intense hatred for the
        US? Will the ordinary US citizen awaken to the global
        impacts that US government policies are having? Are US
        economic policies that one-sidedly glorify competition
        and profit over equitable human development, resulting
        in massive poverty, de facto terrorist policies?
        From Rudolf Steiner we know Ahriman prepares his
        �incarnation� by, among others, fostering illusion,
        division, half-truths, and materialism in society. If
        the present hysteria for bloody revenge continues and
        the media continues to fan the flames of hatred, then
        we can only expect more evil, violence and devastation
        to be sown in the world.
        On the individual level, humanity has been forced to
        cross a threshold. The sense of security is gone. US
        friends write. They no longer feel secure. They now
        join others, all over, who know that physical safety
        is an illusion in today�s world. All of humanity now
        has to learn �to live out of pure trust, without any
        security in existence, trust in the ever present help
        of the spiritual world� (Steiner). They have to turn
        to the resources of the Spirit to make the best of the
        present tragedy.
        Fortunately global civil society organizations,
        including those in the US, are starting to give a
        different, more-balanced picture. As the independent
        cultural force in their societies, they are starting
        to counter one-sided political and economic reporting
        and are providing alternative analysis and action on
        the US tragedy. They are also bringing into
        discussion the quality of soul needed to confront the
        global trauma.
        The terrorist attack in the US is tragic. But an
        irrational pursuit of war, including the attendant
        intrusion to privacy and the possible rebirth of the
        totalitarian state, will be even more tragic. It will
        drag humanity into the abyss.

        Nicanor Perlas is also the author of the recently
        launched book entitled, "Shaping Globalization". You
        may see his group's website at www.cadi.ph

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 24, 2001
          >>>....US policies have created
          terrorist groups and have resulted in de facto
          terrorism against hundreds of thousands of innocent
          lives. The CIA trained Osama Bin Laden and other
          terrorists groups to serve its interests in Afghan war
          versus the USSR. In the process, the CIA resurrected
          jihad or “holy war”, a concept that was last used in
          the 10th century... <<

          *******The writer is in a world of fantasy. First, name one terrorist group the US has created, please. This can be done only by Orwellian distortion of the meaning of the word 'terrorist' to apply to soldiers fighting a war against other uniformed soldiers, it seems to me. Second, the 'jihad' or Holy War was invoked against Israel and its Western supporters in the 1967 and 1973, by Iran against the US in the 1970s and by Iraq against the West in the 1990s. 'Not used since the tenth century', indeed.

          And for the last time, Osama bin Laden was a wealthy Saudi converted to fundamentalist Islam who went ON HIS OWN to Afghanistan to join a Holy War of Islam against 'godless communism'. As a multimillionaire, he needed and received no 'financing' from us. He was never controlled or even associated with the CIA, by his own words. He and the US BOTH financed the freedom fighters in Afghanistan---we so they could be free, he and his buddies to turn Afghanistan into the Dark Ages, and his side took over after defeating the Soviets by killing the opposition leaders of the other mujahedeen who were not backward like the Taliban, whom EVEN THE IRANIAN MUSLIM LEADERS look down on as 'medieval'.

          Feminists have complained for years about the lawyer's strategy of 'blaming the victims'. I for one would like to hear them and everyone else respond to this disgusting strategy being used by anti-freedom ideologists to denigrate the memory of the innocents killed by fanatics.

          Start justifying murder and terrorism, and you have left all 'spiritual' thought behind, whether you call yourself an 'anthroposophist' or whatever.

          This was a crime, and the perpetrators will be hunted down and prevented from ever doing it or anything like it again.

          And as for this:
          >>>...Ahriman prepares his “incarnation” by, among others, fostering illusion, division, half-truths, and materialism in society...<<<

          *******That is sure true--- but the writer is saying that we in the free world are the ones creating illusions and half-truths. From my perspective, it seems to me the most dangerous falsehoods were given out by the Ahrimanic Lenin and his ilk... and the materialistic distortion of the spirit called present-day 'fundamentalist Islam' (where 'heaven' has 72 prostitute women waiting for brave warriors, and all the other literally-interpreted symbolic scripture) is just a continuation of the same, a corrupt half-truth being used for the same purposes by the same type of hate-filled souls who want to squelch all freedom.

          Starman
        • nicholas dee
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 4, 2001
            What's Going On?
            By Michael Albert

            The U.S. response to September 11 seeks to benefit
            elites in the U.S., and, to a lesser degree, around
            the world. There are various goals.

            --> Destroy the bin Laden network
            --> Topple the Taliban
            --> Build a coalition fighting selected terrorists
            internationally in exchange for trade and foreign aid
            benefits and the right of coalition partners to pursue
            their own dissidents locally
            --> Channel fear and anger to cut education, social
            services, health care, and other socially desirable
            expenditures
            --> Expand military spending
            --> Enlarge police and surveillance budgets
            --> Curb civil rights
            --> Deny and even aggravate just grievances around the
            world when doing so serves corporate interests even if
            it also fuels the despair that breeds terrorism
            --> Ignore international legality to curb notions that
            the U.S. ought to obey international law
            --> Avoid defining terrorism as any attack on
            civilians for political ends, to avoid indicting the
            U.S. and its allies.

            But if you are Bush, how do you juggle so many goals
            simultaneously?
            How do you neutralize bin Laden, topple the Taliban,
            and strengthen regimes supportive of U.S. interests,
            yet avoid destabilizing others we want to maintain?
            How do you create a domestic dynamic that expands
            police and military powers and that redistributes
            wealth upward by gutting social programs and enhancing
            regressive taxes, yet retain popular support? And
            what about dissent...how does that impact your
            choices?

            The good news is that I don't think it can all be
            done, supposing dissidents react with sufficient vigor
            and clarity. The campaign to elaborate an
            anti-terrorism war into national policy is
            ill-conceived.
            That last little proviso -- that they must avoid
            clearly defining terrorism -- is the Achilles heal of
            the entire undertaking. With sufficient resistance,
            the campaign will succumb to its own obvious
            hypocrisy. U.S. policy makers are terrorists too.
            There are numerous indicators that activists will have
            the room to mount the needed resistance and help
            communicate the towering hypocrisy. In the past
            thirty years I have rarely addressed an audience too
            big to fit in a large auditorium - but in the last two
            days I was on a national radio call-in with two
            million listeners for two hours, and I was on NPR,
            again nationally, for an hour. Demonstrations and
            gatherings are occurring locally all over the country,
            with education and solidarity resulting. Many feel
            this is the worst of times for leftists. But while
            it is certainly a time of great grief and fear, and a
            time of immense danger, and while it is certainly a
            time of widespread confusion and nationalism,
            nonetheless, regarding communicating with previously
            apolitical people, there are many more openings than
            closings of opportunity occurring, both on the local
            and on the national scale.

            So, again, if you were Bush, what would be your
            preferred agenda, if you could have your way? Here is
            my best guess...at the moment, with admittedly little
            information available.

            First, you would elicit fear and nationalism. Second,
            you would convince populaces worldwide that there is a
            long-term war we must fight (the same war that was at
            the core of Reagan's foreign policy twenty years ago),
            which requires a massive allotment of resources and
            energy, plus lock-step patriotism. Third, after
            saber-rattling sufficiently to arouse fear and
            passion, you would ratchet down the rhetoric in accord
            with the
            necessity to avoid actual military losses or risking
            destabilizing friendly regimes, and to avoid appearing
            to want to punish civilians. Fourth, to have a good
            shot at getting rid of the Taliban, you would close
            the borders of Afghanistan, starve the country, and
            hope that Taliban members start to defect and that the
            country rises up in anguish and despair. Fifth, to
            fill the ensuing power vacuum, you would support
            Afghanistan's Northern alliance. Most important,
            sixth, to diminish the groundswell of anti-war
            opposition to your combating terror with even
            greater terror, you would send food to Afghanistan's
            borders, and perhaps even drop food from planes
            inland. But, if you could have your way, not too much
            food, of course. Indeed, if you remained free to do
            so, you would provide only a pittance compared to the
            need generated by closing the borders in the first
            place and by removing larger sources of aid. Your goal
            would be to induce starvation sufficient to topple the
            Taliban. It would not deter you that such behavior is
            precisely the definition of terrorism -- attacking
            civilians for political aims - because seventh, you
            would blame the ensuing starvation, caused by your
            closing the borders, on the Taliban itself. Finally,
            you would claim, eighth, that we are humanely seeking
            to avoid innocent suffering, even as the starved
            bodies pile up.

            Assuming Bush and his advisors can overcome some
            internal opposition from their right and reign in the
            momentum to shoot someone that all the troop and
            missile movements have unleashed, I think they will
            pursue more or less the above agenda. This is not the
            worst set of policies the U.S. government could adopt
            -- that would be nukes and the like -- but it would be
            horrendous in its cynical exploitation of pain and
            suffering, and in its expansion of each, and it must
            therefore be opposed with as much energy as people of
            good will can muster. If we do our job well enough and
            fast enough here in the U.S., and if others throughout
            the world do so too, then the pressure on Bush may be
            great enough that the borders will reopen, the food
            shipments will become more than opportunistic and
            marginal, and massive new tragedy will be largely
            averted. If we are slower, more people will suffer.
            The same holds for the more long-term aims of
            revamping laws, budgets, and alliances on behalf of
            militarism, profit-seeking, and right-wing repression.
            The degree these are limited or reversed will reflect
            the extent of our organizing and opposition.

            On September 11, I wrote:

            "In coming weeks we may suffer a kind of celebration
            in America, a celebration of security and of power, a
            celebration of surreptitious information retrieval, a
            celebration of arms growth, and perhaps of
            assassination, all described as virtuous goals rather
            than uncivil abominations, all touted as if the terror
            victims will be honored rather than defiled by our
            preparing to entomb still more innocent people
            around the world. Normal good-hearted Americans will
            weep for the suffering that today's events exacted and
            hope to create a world in which such hate and
            callousness disappears. But I fear that America's
            leaders will cynically bulk up their ammo belts while
            seeking to make ubiquitous their listening
            devices-trying to relegate public freedoms to an
            incinerator. In this environment, people of good will
            must explain
            as often as necessary that terrorism is horrific and
            insane, but so to is capitalist business as usual. And
            we must not step back from dissent, but must instead
            work harder to oppose all kinds of injustice with
            massive public demonstrations and civil disobedience."

            Events are unfolding as indicated, and my view is
            essentially unchanged.

            For the government, the answer to terrorism shouldn't
            be reciprocal terrorism - whether by bombing or by
            starving civilians. The answer to fundamentalism
            shouldn't be to mount a military crusade abroad and to
            curb civil liberties at home. The answer to
            hypocritical inhumanity shouldn't be to
            opportunistically exploit fear. The government should
            not use the excuse of a battered economy to enrich the
            rich and empower the powerful while gutting social
            programs to hurt the poor and weak.

            And for the left, the answer to entreaties that we
            should forgo dissent shouldn't be passive obedience,
            but, active disobedience. We should mount our peace
            movement against the terror war, organize our
            humanitarian opposition to starvation tactics, renew
            our resistance to the embargo of Iraq, intensify our
            rejection of Israeli and U.S. rejectionism regarding
            Palestinian rights, and finally enlarge our
            anti-globalization movement to not only demand just
            and equitable institutional successors to the IMF,
            World Bank and WTO, but also improved adherence to
            international law and binding General Assembly
            adjudication of disputes among nations.

            Some will call us un-American. Some will call us
            callous. Some will cry treason. Some will threaten us.
            So?

            At the same time as many opponents of change are very
            angry and vocal, millions upon millions of far less
            noisy Americans are trying to understand recent events
            and the broader context in which they have occurred
            and are approaching the matter with considerable
            openness.

            This is not a time to hunker down in subdued silence.
            It is a time to go out and organize. To talk, talk,
            and talk.to demonstrate, to activate, to use the
            knowledge and access that we have.

            Forget about hating Bush and Powell and the rest. Yes,
            these people give the orders. They hand out the bombs.
            They withhold the food. But institutions create the
            pressures that mold them. Those institutions and
            associated policies must be our focus.

            But what to do?

            Handing out leaflets, arguing against war with a
            co-worker, urging a relative to think twice about our
            own role in international terrorism, going to a
            demonstration, sitting in, doing civil disobedience,
            or even building movements to do all these things
            collectively, may all seem momentarily insignificant
            in light of the calamity that could befall
            Afghanistan and the world in coming weeks. But the
            fact is, these are the acts that can accumulate into a
            firestorm of informed protest that curtails Afghani
            starvation, that derails the war on terrorism, and
            that even raises the cost of profiteering so high that
            the institutions breeding such behavior start to
            buckle.

            War, whether it is waged with kamikaze planes, fleets
            of missiles and bombers, or starvation food policies,
            is a horrendous crime against humanity. It invariably
            rends apart life and justice and civility. It benefits
            no one other than the Masters of War. War in all its
            forms is an orchestrated atrocity that mandates our
            militant, unswerving opposition. But we should also
            remember that even after we curb Bush's rush to
            violence and forestall his starvation scenarios, the
            on-going day-to day grievances and injustices of our
            world will still need attention. Ultimately, our
            opposition must transcend current events.

            Alienation, poverty, disease, starvation, death
            squads, and terror-these and other atrocities stem
            from basic institutions. The institutions must become
            our lasting target.

            http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 5, 2001
              More from the "Blame America First" school of organized whining.

              nicholasd9@... writes:
              >>>The U.S. response to September 11 seeks to benefit elites in the U.S.,
              and, to a lesser degree, around the world. There are various goals... (To)
              Channel fear and anger to cut education, social services, health care, and
              other socially desirable
              expenditures....

              *******Um... first off, this has NOTHING whatever to do with anthroposophy;
              and second, an elementary look at spiritual science would reveal that one of
              its pillars is that the governement ahd NO PLACE "funding" and controlling
              education. So this poster clearly knows nothing of Steiner, and is just using
              the list for this venomous bile.

              --> Deny and even aggravate just grievances around the
              world when doing so serves corporate interests even if
              it also fuels the despair that breeds terrorism....

              *******So in other words if you keep these people from killing all Jews, you
              deserve to have innocent people bombed. I see.

              >>> Avoid defining terrorism as any attack on
              civilians for political ends, to avoid indicting the
              U.S. and its allies.

              *******Like to tell us what civilians the big bad ol' US has been attacking
              lately?

              >>>That last little proviso -- that they must avoid
              clearly defining terrorism -- is the Achilles heal of
              the entire undertaking...U.S. policy makers are terrorists too.

              *******You don't know how to spell the word "heel"---perhaps the words
              "hyperbole" and "demagoguery" are unknown to you as well. So our elected
              officials are "terrorists", hmm? Are all cops "pigs" too? All soldiers
              "baby-killers"?

              *********You seem to still manage to spew your poisionous gibberish fine.

              long-term war we must fight (the same war that was at the core of Reagan's
              foreign policy twenty years ago), which requires a massive allotment of
              resources and energy, plus lock-step patriotism....

              *******So it's all a right-wing conspiracy, eh. Would you care to explain why
              Tony Blair is leading it then?
              There IS a long-term war, between the forces of freedom and progress and
              those of backwardness. Since you're on the side of the latter (Marxism),
              you'll never see it.

              >>>On September 11, I wrote:
              "In coming weeks we may suffer a kind of celebration
              in America, a celebration of security and of power, a
              celebration of surreptitious information retrieval, a
              celebration of arms growth, and perhaps of
              assassination, all described as virtuous goals rather
              than uncivil abominations, all touted as if the terror
              victims will be honored rather than defiled by our
              preparing to entomb still more innocent people
              around the world....

              *******'Innocent' people like Arab Muslim extremists that assassinate all
              Jews and Americans on orders from Bin Laden, incinerate office workers, etc.?

              This gets my vote as the sickest post by a hate-filled leftist I've seen
              in the past month. I hope this guy crawls back under whatever rock he crawled
              out from under.

              >>>Alienation, poverty, disease, starvation, death
              squads, and terror-these and other atrocities stem
              from basic institutions. The institutions must become
              our lasting target. >>

              *******So all our institutions are evil and therefore those folks deserve
              what they got? I vote we deport this guy to Afghanistan.

              Starman
            • nicholas dee
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 8, 2001
                Our Father, hallowed be Thy name, Thy Kingdom come,
                Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us
                this day our daily bread and forgive us our
                transgressions as You forgive those who are
                transgressing against us. And lead us not into
                temptation but deliver us from evil, for Thine is the
                Kingdom and the Power and the Glory, forever.

                Absolute Infinite Beingness, God. Everlasting Life,
                Love and Mercy. Manifesting Yourself in Yourself as
                the Total Wisdom and Almightiness, enlighten our minds
                to understand that You are the Truth, clean our hearts
                to reflect Your Love towards You and towards all other
                human beings. Amen.

                http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info1