Calendar of the Soul, Week 23

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2001
      For those new to the 'Calendar': the cycle of the year can be a meditation
      in itself, through which you can sense the Beings that are behind the
      changing seasons, and Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' to
      do this. It's made up of 52 meditative mantras enabling one to consciously
      experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you as well as in
      external Nature in the course of the year.

      The 52 mantras are well known to many anthroposophists, but the original
      Calendar published in 1912 ALSO contained 12 images of the zodiac (to be
      meditated on to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the
      day) and the Moon's position in the constellations was listed for each night
      (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), as well as a list of saints and other
      spiritual figures to meditate on connected with specific days of the week,
      because the entrances and exits of human spirits are also connected with the
      cosmos and Time. We're presenting all that here each week---this has not been
      done since 1912, and is available nowhere else.

      First, this week's meditative mantra in the original German and in
      translation:

      * M A N T R A # 2 3 *
      Es dämpfet herbstlich sich
      Der Sinne Reizesstreben;
      In Lichtesoffenbarung mischen
      Der Nebel dumpfe Schleier sich.
      Ich selber schau in Raumesweiten
      Des Herbstes Winterschlaf.
      Der Sommer hat an mich
      Sich selber hingegeben.

      There is muffled Autumnally
      The Senses' streaming Charms;
      In Light-Revealings is mingled
      The Fog's musty Veil.
      I myself see in Space-Widenesses
      The Autumn's Winter-Sleep.
      The Summer has to me
      Its own self given over.

      This week's mantram:
      Last week, that which was received spiritually from the Summer Light and
      Warmth was felt as an ongoing power within releasing the fruit of its
      working, to evolve a Self out of the World-Self. This is because, at the time
      of change from Summer to Winter, we cease to be conscious of the external
      world and instead become conscious again of ourselves, as if awakening from a
      summer dream-state. Our Nature-Consciousness strives to become inner Self
      Consciousness, but at first we may feel FEAR, due to no longer being able to
      lean on outer things for consciousness--- which is why the symbol of the
      warrior Archangel is placed before us at Michaelmas, summoning us to have
      courage, for we are not going to die as our summer nature-consciousness
      wanes, but rather awaken. This week's verse is the first appearance of Autumn
      dulling the senses' summer brilliance; but that which has been gained from
      the summer-experience now becomes our inner self-experience.

      some of the spiritual figures connected with the days. Attached to this post
      is the symbolic image of the constellation of the VIRGIN---the Doctor said
      the Sun is under its influence from Sept. 8th to Oct. 12th in our era.

      Sunday September 16th. Moon Leo. 1736 The Natural Scientist Farenheit died.
      Monday September 17th. Moon Virgin. New Moon. Justinus.
      Tuesday September 18th. Moon Virgin. Titus (School of Paul).
      Wednesday September 19th. Moon Virgin. Eustachius.
      Thursday September 20th. Moon Libra. Castor.
      Friday September 21st. Moon Libra. Matthew (the Evangelist).
      Saturday September 22nd. Moon Skorpius. 1452 Savanarola born.