THE SOUL'S CALENDAR, 21ST WEEK

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2001
      For those new to the 'Calendar': the cycle of the year can be a meditation
      in itself, through which you can sense the Beings that are behind the
      changing seasons, and Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' to
      do this. It's made up of 52 meditative mantras enabling one to consciously
      experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you as well as in
      external Nature in the course of the year.

      The 52 mantras are well known to many anthroposophists, but the original
      Calendar published in 1912 ALSO contained 12 images of the zodiac (to be
      meditated on to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the
      day) and the Moon's position in the constellations was listed for each night
      (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), as well as a list of saints and other
      spiritual figures to meditate on connected with specific days of the week,
      because the entrances and exits of human spirits are also connected with the
      cosmos and Time. We're presenting all that here each week---this has not been
      done since 1912, and is available nowhere else.

      First, this week's meditative mantra in the original German and in
      translation:

      * M A N T R A # 2 1 *
      Ich fühle fruchtend fremde Macht
      Sich stärkend mir mich selbst verleihn,
      Den Keim empfind ich reifend
      Und Ahnung lichtvoll weben
      Im Innern an der Selbstheit Macht.

      I feel bearing fruit a foreign Power
      Which strengthens me, my self to bestow,
      I sense the Seed ripening
      And a premonition of light-filled weaving together
      Of my Innermost with the Selfhood's Might.

      This week's mantram:
      In the Summer we take the Divine into us while drinking in the treasures
      of the senses, but in a sort of waking-dream state, so that the cosmos will
      itself 'awaken' in us later. Two weeks ago, as this process progressed, we
      felt a need to strive to place this Divine 'seed' of what we have absorbed
      this summer into our MEMORY, to be the basis for a new feeling of Self.Last
      week we felt the Self for the first time since 'losing' it in the Summer
      light & warmth, felt it as something separating from that world we are part
      of in the waking-dream state of Summer; but along with this was an acute
      sense that we would perish along with all our creations if built from that
      Self ALONE, if we build in the future ONLY from that narrow selfhood. This
      week, the spiritual 'seed' that was planted in the summer 'waking
      dream-state' reaches a stage of ripening where it may begin to 'lend' to us a
      'spiritual Self' instead; and we have a strong fore-sensing that THIS 'Self'
      will be able to join with the deepest inner forces which the ordinary self
      would not be able to tap into.

      some of the spiritual figures connected with the days. Attached to this post
      is the symbolic image of the constellation LEO---the Doctor said the Sun is
      under its influence from August 4th to Sept. 7th in our era.

      Sunday September 2nd. Moon Aquarius. Full Moon. Absalom.
      Monday September 3rd. Moon Aquarius. Eusebius.
      Tuesday September 4th. Moon Pisces. Marcellus, School of Peter. Moses.
      Wednesday September 5th. Moon Pisces. Nathaniel (he who in John's
      Gospel was named a 'true Israelite').
      Thursday September 6th. Moon Pisces. Zacharias the Prophet. 1729 Moses
      Mendelssohn born. 1809 the Biblical critic Bruno
      Bauer born.
      Friday September 7th. Moon Aries. Regina.
      Saturday September 8th. Moon Aries. Birth of Mary. Corbinianus, spreader of
      Christianity in France & Germany in the 8th
      century.