Calendar of the Soul, Week 20

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 26, 2001
      For those new to the 'Calendar': the cycle of the year can be a meditation
      in itself, through which you can sense the Beings that are behind the
      changing seasons, and Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' to do this.
      It's made up of 52 meditative mantras enabling one to consciously experience
      the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you as well as in external Nature
      in the course of the year.

      The 52 mantras are well known to many anthroposophists, but the original
      Calendar in 1912 ALSO contained 12 images of the zodiac (to be meditated on
      to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day) and the
      Moon's position in the constellations was listed for each night (for sensing
      the 'lunar' forces), as well as a list of saints and other spiritual figures
      to meditate on connected with specific days of the week, because the
      entrances and exits of human spirits are also connected with the cosmos and
      Time. We're presenting all that here each week---this has not been done since
      1912 and is available nowhere else.

      First, this week's meditative mantra in the original German and in
      translation:

      * M A N T R A # 2 0 *
      So fühl ich erst mein Sein,
      Das fern vom Welten-Dasein
      In sich, sich selbst erlöschen
      Und bauend nur auf eignem Grunde
      In sich, sich selbst ertöten müsste.

      So feel I first my Being
      That far from World-Existence
      In itself, itself loses
      And building only out of its own Ground
      In itself, itself must die.

      In the Summer we take the Divine into us while drinking in the treasures
      of the senses, so that the cosmos will itself 'awaken' in us later. Last
      week, as this process progressed, we felt a need to strive to place this
      Divine 'seed' of what we have absorbed into our Memory, to be the basis for a
      new feeling of Self. This week we feel that Self for the first time as
      something now separating from that world we are part of in a waking-dream
      state in Summer; and the intention of the verse is to feel acutely how, if we
      build in the future ONLY from this narrow selfhood, nothing will be able to
      survive of that.

      some of the spiritual figures connected with the days. Attached to this post
      is the image of the sign Leo---the Doctor said the Sun is under its influence
      from August 4th to Sept. 7th in our era.

      Sunday August 26th. Moon Skorpius. Last Quarter. Samuel the Isarelite Priest.
      Monday August 27th. Moon Skorpius. 1770 Hegel born.
      Tuesday August 28th. Moon Sagittarius. Augustine, the famous Church leader
      died 430.
      1749 Goethe born.
      Wednesday August 29th. Moon Sagittarius. Beheading of John the Baptist.
      Thursday August 30th. Moon Capricornus. 1856 John Ross, the discoverer of the
      magnetic North Pole died.
      Friday August 31st. Moon Capricornus. Joshua, the successor to Moses. 1821
      the
      Natural Scientist Helmholtz born.
      Saturday September 1st. Moon Aquarius. Firminus.

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 30, 2003
        The "Calendar of the Soul"

        Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting at Easter. These are well known to students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day--- a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night for sensing the 'lunar' forces--- and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days. Here's the Soul-Calendar' restored to its complete form for your use.

        *  M A N T R A  # 2 0  *

        So fühl ich erst mein Sein,

        Das fern vom Welten-Dasein

        In sich, sich selbst erlöschen

        Und bauend nur auf eignem Grunde

        In sich, sich selbst ertöten müsste.

        So feel I first my Being

        That far from World-Existence

        In itself, itself loses

        And building only out of its own Ground

        In itself, itself must die.

        This week's mantram:

            This week one begins to feel one's self for the first time since 'losing' it in the light & warmth of the summer--- but along with this is the feeling that oneself, isolated from the world, will perish along with all that one attempts to build from self, if that is the sole basis of one's creations.

                                        **********************************
            The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation LEO from August 4th to Sept. 7th in our era. A symbolic image of the LION done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

        Sunday, August 31sth. Moon Scorpio. Joshua, the successor to Moses.
                                                    1821 the  Natural Scientist Helmholtz born.

        Monday,  September 1st. Moon Scorpio. Firminus.

        Tuesday,  September 2nd. Moon Sagittarius. Absalom.

        Wednesday,  September 3rd. Moon Sagittarius. First Quarter. Eusebius.

        Thursday,  September 4 th. Moon Capricorn. Marcellus, School of Peter
                                                        Moses.

        Friday,    September 5th. Moon Capricorn.  Nathaniel (he who in John's Gospel was named a 'true Israelite').

        Saturday,  September 6th. Moon Aquarius.  Zacharias the Prophet.

                           1729 Moses Mendelssohn born.

                           1809 the Biblical critic Bruno Bauer born.

        P.S. Brilliant yellowish-red Mars, at its brightest doing its retrograde 'loop', dominates the night sky, visible in the Southwest from shortly after sunset, moving to directly south by about midnight.

        The verse for the Southern Hemisphere:

         *  M A N T R A  # 4 5  *

        Es festigt sich Gedankenmacht

        Im Bunde mit der Geistgeburt,

        Sie hellt der Sinne dumpfe Reize

        Zur vollen Klarheit auf.

        Wenn Seelenfülle

        Sich mit dem Weltenwerden einen will,

        Muss Sinnesoffenbarung

        Des Denkens Licht empfangen.

        Fast is Thinking’s Might

        In Union with the Spirit-Birth,

        It brightens the senses’ dim risings

        To full Clarity.

        When Soul-fulfillment

        With World-Becoming would become one,

        Must Senses’ revelation

        Thinking’s Light receive.

        This week's mantram:

            Last week, as we head towards spring when our inner selves once more go to sleep while the Earth awakens, stirrings of life in the wakening outer world combined with our wills as we continued to unfold the 'spirit-birth' acheived in winter. This week, the power of thinking unites with what was born in us then, to make clear to us all of the early spring stirrings of new life in the external world. In order for the Soul's fullness of experience to unite with this "becoming" of Nature, we must unite our thinking to our perceptions.