Calendar of the Soul, Week 18

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 12 11:25 AM
      For those new to the 'Calendar': the cycle of the year can be a meditation
      in itself, through which you can sense the Beings that are behind the
      changing seasons, and Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' to do this.
      It's made up of 52 meditative mantras enabling one to consciously experience
      the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you as well as in external Nature
      in the course of the year.

      The 52 mantras are well known to many anthroposophists, but the original
      Calendar in 1912 ALSO contained 12 images of the zodiac (to be meditated on
      to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day) and the
      Moon's position in the constellations was listed for each night (for sensing
      the 'lunar' forces), as well as a list of saints and other spiritual figures
      to meditate on connected with specific days of the week, because the
      entrances and exits of human spirits are also connected with the cosmos and
      Time. We're presenting all that here each week---this has not been done since
      1912 and is available nowhere else.

      First, this week's meditative mantra in the original German and in
      translation:

      * M A N T R A # 1 8 *
      Kann ich die Seele weiten,
      Das sie sich selbst verbindet
      Empfangnem Welten-Keimeswort?
      Ich ahne, dass ich Kraft muss finden
      Die Seele würdig zu gestalten
      Zum Geistes-Kleide sich zu bilden.

      Can I the Soul widen
      That she can bind herself
      To conceived World-Seed-Word?
      I sense, that I strength must find
      The Soul worthily so to form
      Into Spirit-Clothing to build itself.

      Interpretation: In the Summer the human spirit 'loses itself' in the
      world, in the senses, and then in Winter it separates itself from it again.
      Last week's verse described how we took the Divine into us while drinking in
      the treasures of the senses, so that the cosmos will itself 'awaken' in us
      later. This week, as this process progresses, we feel a strong need to widen
      the personal soul-life to join it to this 'seed' placed in us, and to find
      greater strength for what will happen in the future, when spiritual forces
      will seek to use the soul as their instrument.

      some of the spiritual figures connected with the days. Attached to this post
      is the JPEG image of the sign Leo---the Doctor said the Sun is under its
      influence from August 4th to Sept. 7th in our era.

      Sunday August 12th. Moon Taurus. Last Quarter. Clara. Hilaria. Sulpicius.
      Monday August 13th. Moon Taurus. Hippolytus.
      Tuesday August 14th. Moon Gemini. Eusebius.
      Wednesday August 15th. Moon Gemini. Mary's Ascension.
      Thursday August 16th. Moon Gemini. Isaac. 1743 the Chemist Lavoisier born.
      Friday August 17th. Moon Cancer. Augusta.
      Saturday August 18th. Moon Cancer. Joachim, Father of Mary.

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 17 8:38 PM

        The "Calendar of the Soul"

        Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting at Easter. These are well known to students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day--- a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night for sensing the 'lunar' forces--- and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days. Here's the Soul-Calendar' restored to its complete form for your use.

        *  M A N T R A  # 1 8 *
        Kann ich die Seele weiten,
        Dass sie sich selbst verbinden
        Empfangnem Welten-Keimesworte?
        Ich ahne, dass ich Kraft muss finden
        Die Seele würdig zu gestalten
        Zum Geistes-Kleide sich zu bilden.

        Can I the Soul widen
        That she herself can bind
        To conceived World-Seed-Word?
        I sense that I strength must find
        The Soul worthily to form
        To Spirit-Clothing to build itself.

        ******* The summer is when we are meant to lose ourselves in the play of light
        and warmth; then, from out of the Spirit revealed in the outer world, we are
        to find our "selves" again in the World-Self, in the wintertime. This week we
        feel a fore-sensing of the need for more inner strength, to widen ourselves
        more, so as to take in that world that speaks to us through the senses' beauty
        (which we have been taking in to the soul's depths since Summer began). The
        expanse of the world in its very essence is already a seed planted within us
        by the Cosmic Word, like a conception which will lead to birth at
        Christmastime; we feel the need to form our Soul well enough to provide the
        outer garment for this spirit when it 'incarnates'.

                               **********************************
            The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation LEO from August 4th to Sept. 7th in our era. A symbolic image of the LION done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

        Sunday, August 17th. Moon Taurus.  Augusta.

        Monday,  August 18th. Moon Taurus. Joachim (Father of Maria).

        Tuesday,  August 19th. Moon Taurus.  Last Quarter. 1662 Blaise Pascal died.

        Wednesday,  August 20th. Moon Gemini. 1854 the Philosopher Schelling died.

        Thursday,   August 21st. Moon Gemini. Sigismund.

        Friday,   August 22nd. Moon Cancer. Hippolytus, Christian teacher of the 3rd century.

        Saturday,  August 23rd. Moon Cancer. Claudius.

        P.S. Brilliant yellowish-red Mars, at its brightest doing its retrograde 'loop', dominates the night sky, visible in the Southwest from shortly after sunset, moving to directly south by about midnight.

        *  M A N T R A  # 4 3  *
        In Winterlichen Tiefen
        Erwarmt des Geistes wahres Sein;
        Es gibt dem Weltenscheine,
        Durch Herzenskräfte Daseinsmächt
        Der Weltenkälte trotzt erstarkend
        Das Seelenfeuer in Menscheninnern.

        It Winter-like deeps
        Grows warm the Spirit's true Being;
        It gives to World-Shining
        Through Heart's strength Existence's Might,
        The World-Cold despite, there strengthens
        The Soul-Fire in Man's Innerness.

        This week's mantram:
        Last week's verse, when worked with, led us to feel the strong drive to
        continue unfolding the inner soul's power, and this gave us within our hearts
        a prophetic sensing of the reality to come in the coming spring and summer,
        when our inner selves once more sleep while the Earth awakens. This week, the
        spirit pours into the soul's fiery power growing stronger, and through the
        heart gives to the mere appearance of the outer world a reality it otherwise
        would not have.

        -Dr. Starman