The Calendar of the Soul, Week 7

  • starmann77@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2001
      For those new to the 'Calendar': the cycle of the year can be a
      meditation in itself, through which you can sense the Beings that are behind
      the changing seasons, and Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' to do
      this. It's made up of 52 meditative mantras enabling one to consciously
      experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you as well as in
      external Nature in the course of the year.

      The 52 mantras (for which Steiner later gave the eurythmy forms) are well
      known to many anthroposophists, but the original Calendar in 1912 ALSO
      contained 12 images of the zodiac (to be meditated on to sense the working of
      the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day) and the Moon's position in the
      constellations was listed for each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces).
      There was also a list of saints and other spiritual figures to meditate on
      connected with specific days of the week, because the entrances and exits of
      human spirits are also connected with the cosmos and Time. We're presenting
      all that here each week. (This has not been done since 1912 and is available
      nowhere else, as far as I know; I have the original 'Calendar' in German and
      am translating it section by section, and 12 Zodiac images by Magaret
      Roessler after von Eckherdstein's originals).

      First, this week's meditative mantra in the original German and in
      translation:

      Mein selbst, es drohet zu entfliehen,
      Vom Weltenlichte mächtig angezogen.
      Nun trete du mein Ahnen
      In deine Rechte kraftig ein
      Ersetze mir des Denkens Macht
      Das in der Sinne Schein
      Sich selbst verlieren will.

      My Self, it threatens to fly out
      To World-Light mightily drawn.
      Now enter you, my foreboding,
      Into your rightful place forcefully,
      Restore for me Thinking’s Might
      That in the Senses’ Shine
      Would lose itself.

      About this week's mantra:
      Spring is when we change from an inner "self-consciousness" to outer
      "nature-consciousness". Verse 1 (at Easter) spoke of how the Sun spoke to our
      senses; verse 2, how thinking lost its separate existence by joining with it;
      week 3, how the true "I" felt it penetrated to its Essence in the outer
      world; week 4, how Sensation added warmth to thinking; week 5, how the Light
      weaving in Space creating is the same essence as the Soul. Last week's mantra
      pictured the experiencing of the True Self reflected in the whole world
      around us, showing us an image of ourselves as we truly are (the macrocosm
      and the microcosm). In all these, the inner self has been directed to the
      outer world of the senses. This week, the Self being drawn into the senses
      and the Light, could be drawn too much out: so a counter-force comes in, a
      feeling of foreboding about the future, to keep thinking from losing itself
      in the outer world. Self-consciousness is kept from being lost in the play
      of the senses by this "ahnen" (sensing of the future, foreboding) rightfully
      drawing thinking back to itself. This is the astral force we seek to
      consciously work with now.

      The Moon positions and phases for the week are listed below along with some
      of the spiritual figures connected with the days. Attached to this post is
      the JPEG image of the sign Taurus (the Doctor said the Sun is under its
      influence till June 15th in our era.)

      Sunday May 27th. Moon Cancer. Maria of Magdala. Dante born 1265. Calvin
      died 1564.
      Monday May 28th. Moon Leo. Wilhelm.
      Tuesday May 29th. Moon Leo. First Quarter. Christiana.
      Wednesday May 30th. Moon Virgo. The Maid of Orleans burnt 1431.
      Thursday May 31st. Moon Virgo. Petronella.
      Friday June 1st. Moon Virgo. Nicodemus.
      Saturday June 2nd. Moon Libra. Erasmus.