research question -- the Sun-Spirit?

  • Robert Mason
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 2013
      Steiner often said that the Christ was the Spirit
      of the Sun Who came down to Earth and Who
      now is the Spirit of the Earth.  But I ask:  is
      the Christ still now also the Spirit of the Sun?

      In *Mysteries of the Sun*: Lecture I; 24th
      August, 1918; Dornach; GA183 -- STEINER SAID:

      ". . . . for man before the Mystery of Golgotha
      . . . . It was particularly natural for him to
      regard the Sun, for example, quite differently
      from the way in which the modern physicist
      regards it — roughly speaking, simply as a kind
      of glowing ball in universal space. Before the
      Mystery of Golgotha men knew that the Sun thus
      spoken of in physics is only one element of the
      whole Sun, at the basis of which lies what is of
      the soul and what is of the spirit. And the
      Spiritual lying at the Sun's basis the wise men
      of Greece called the universal good of the
      world, the goodness of the world, the unity, the
      good seething through the universe. That was to
      him the spirit of the Sun. . . . With this
      central good that is of a spiritual nature there
      was united what was of a soul nature called by
      the Greeks Helios. Then, third, there came the
      physical expression of the Good and of Helios,
      the physical Sun. Thus, where the Sun is, the
      man of that day saw what was threefold. . . ."

      In *Mysteries of the Sun*: Lecture III; 26th
      August, 1918; Dornach; GA183 -- STEINER SAID:

      ". . . . as the physical sun shines upon us here
      between birth and death, there shines into our
      ego . . .  during the time we pass between death
      and a new birth, the spiritual sun identified by
      Plato with the Good. . . ."

      ". . . . he [man] now [after death] acquires a
      consciousness by drawing himself back against
      the light. This light is that of the Sun, the
      original light that is the Good. Thus, whereas
      during his physical life as man of soul and
      spirit he pushes against what is related to the
      Sun, namely, against the more than empty holes
      in the brain, after death when he withdraws
      himself he pushes against the other Sun, the
      Good-Sun, the original sun. . . ."

      So, it appears to me that Steiner was saying
      that before the coming of Christ to Earth the
      Sun was threefold:  the physical, the soul, and
      the spiritual Sun -- and that the Christ was the
      Spirit of the Sun.  And that even now, between
      death and rebirth, man experiences that same
      Sun-Spirit, the Christ, Who was, for instance,
      known to Plato as *the Good*.

      But my question is:  in the physical life now,
      between birth and death for man, is the Christ
      still the Spirit of the Sun, as well as the
      Spirit of the Earth?  If the Christ is not now
      still the Spirit of the Sun, in this Earthly
      life for man, then Who is?  What does Steiner
      say about this, if anything?

      Robert Mason

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 12, 2013
        ******* If you go back to the beginning of the Earth state, all that's now the earth was part of the Sun, everything was part of it, and it was all only spirit as it emerged from Mother Night (the pralaya after the Old Moon). But because of what happened in the 3 previous worlds, some beings could not stay with the Sun at its high vibration: a slower, more low- vibration place had to fall away from it so that less evolved beings like us and the rest of earthly Nature could dwell there. But none of the Sun Beings forsook us, they just had to act temporarily at a distance or else they (the Elohim) would have destroyed us, we couldn't bear their light directly and close up. . . The way the Zoroastrians and the true Gnostics put it was that the great Sun Aura once ruled, but the Lord of Darkness Ahriman found a way to darken the world and our bodies into matter: but we who were originally beings of Light still had an imperishable spark of Light within us, and from the time darkness enveloped us there was a Plan set in motion so that the Sun would one day come to earth and create a force to re-unite sun and earth, and rescue the sparks of light within us. . . . . . So rather than saying Christ was in the Sun but NOT on Earth it would be better to say that His Light was obscured and dimmed down here by the Prince of this world until His Incarnation and Resurrection, and since then the APPARENT rulership of the Earth by another Being is removed. So the Spirit of the Sun is now ALSO ruler of the Earth... and able to shine even into the previously-dark underworld. This is why the Earth will now be able to eventually reunite with the Sun. -Starman