The Calendar of the Soul, Week 4

  • starmann77@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2001
      For those new to what the 'Calendar' is: the cycle of the year can be a
      meditation in itself, and Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' to do
      this. It's made up of 52 meditative mantras enabling one to consciously
      experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you as well as in
      external Nature in the course of the year.

      These 52 mantras (for which Steiner later gave the eurythmy forms) are
      well known to many anthroposophists, but the original Calendar in 1912 ALSO
      contained 12 images of the zodiac (to be meditated on to sense the working of
      the 'solar' forces in the cosmos into you in the day) and the Moon's position
      in the constellations was listed for each night (for sensing the 'lunar'
      forces). There was also a list of saints and other spiritual figures to
      meditate on connected with specific days of the week.

      We're presenting all of that here each week. This has not been done since
      1912 and is available nowhere else AFAIK. I have the original Calendar in
      German and am translating it section by section, as well as the 12 Zodiac
      images done by Magaret Roessler (after Imma von Eckherdstein's originals).

      * * *
      The mantra in the original German:
      * M A N T R A # 4 *
      Ich fühle Wesen meines Wesens:
      So spricht Empfindung,
      Die in der sonnerhellten Welt
      Mit Lichtesfluten sich vereint;
      Sie will dem Denken
      Zur Klarheit Wärme schenken
      Und Mensch und Welt
      In Einheit fest verbinden.

      in English:
      “I feel the essence of my essence”:
      So speaks Sensation,
      That in the sun-illumined World
      With flooding light becomes one;
      It will join warmth
      To Thinking‘s Clarity,
      And Man and World
      In oneness bind fast together.

      In the Northern Hemisphere, the spring is the time when we change from
      an inner "self-consciousness" to outer "nature-consciousness". Verse 1 (we
      always start at Easter) spoke of how the Sun and the Growth in the outer
      world of Nature spoke to our senses and joined us to the Spirit that calls
      forth the new life; verse 2 was how our thinking lost its separate existence
      by joining with what the senses revealed. Last week continued the theme of
      'forgetting oneself': the true "I" within us 'spoke' to the World-All,
      forgetful of the everyday 'self': "In you, I penetrate to my True Essence".
      This week's verse continues to speak of joining with the senses, in
      particular with the Light increasing in the springtime: in uniting our senses
      with it, now Sensation speaks back to us, 'I feel the Essense of my Essence'.
      We find the essence of the inner self in the external Light. This adds warmth
      to our thinking, so that our human spirit feels joined to the outer world.
      * * * * * * *

      Below are some of the spiritual figures and events Steiner listed for this
      week, along with the position of the Moon in the constellations each night.
      Attached to this post is the zodiac image for Taurus: the Doctor said the Sun
      is under the influence of Taurus from May 1st to June 15th in our era.

      Sunday May 6th. Moon Libra. John, writer of the Gospel and the Apocalypse.
      Monday May 7th. Moon Skorpius. Full Moon. Gottfried.
      Tuesday May 8th. Moon Skorpius. The Prophet Micah. H.P. Blavatsky died 1891.
      Wednesday May 9th. Moon Sagittarius. Schiller died 1805.
      Thursday May 10th. Moon Sagittarius. Gordian.
      Friday May 11th. Moon Capricornus. Otto von Guernicke (inventor of the
      air-pump)
      died 1686.
      Saturday May 12th. Moon Capricornus. Pancratius.