Calendar of the Soul Week 2

  • starmann77@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2001
      *******The 'Calendar of the Soul' is made up of 52 meditative mantras
      enabling one to consciously experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring
      within you in the course of the year. The original Calendar in 1912 also
      contained 12 images of the zodiac (to be meditated on to sense the working of
      the solar forces in the cosmos into you in the day) and the Moon's position
      in the constellations each night (for sensing the lunar forces), as well as a
      list of saints and other spiritual figures to meditate on connected with
      specific days of the week.

      This week's verse in the original German:

      Ins Aussre des Sinnesalls
      Verliert Gedankenmacht ihr Eigensein;
      Es finden Geisteswelten
      Den Menschensprossen wieder,
      Der seinen Keim in ihnen,
      Doch seine Seelenfrucht
      In sich muss finden.

      An English translation:
      In outer World of the Senses
      Thinking’s might loses its Self-existence;
      The Spiritual Worlds find
      The offspring of Man again,
      Whose seed is in them
      But who must find its Soul-Fruit,
      Within itself.

      The "self-existence" in line 2 means the stamp of separateness of our
      thinking. Our thinking is meant to lose this 'standing-apart from things' as
      it plunges into the senses this week. This is in line with the Sun returning
      (in the N. Hemisphere): the senses' effects re-awakening as we move from the
      winter (Inner) Self-Consciousness to summer (Outer) Nature-Consciousness.

      As we contemplate what the senses reveal, the third and fourth lines
      awaken the feeling that actually the spiritual world that created us human
      beings is now finding itself in what is our "offspring", in what we create---
      in other words, it could create us, but then we could estrange ourselves from
      it, but now, in our experience of ourselves as conscious beings we bring
      something NEW into existence (the "offspring" or "son of man"), in which the
      Divine is actually able to "find itself" again. By our experiencing of the
      senses so intensely that we lose our separateness of thinking, we create
      something new, and the Divine finds itself again in that.

      The last 3 lines express the reason why this has to be so, because we are
      like a plant which has both seed and flower: the 'seed-self' was 'planted' by
      the spiritual world, but its 'flower' can come about only by experiencing
      ourselves, our soul-life.

      The verse is for the entire week, but in the original Soul-Calendar
      Steiner also listed the Moon's phases and its position in the constellations
      each night; and, for each day, there were saints and other spiritual figures
      connected with that day, some of which are listed below.

      Sunday April 22nd. Moon Pisces.
      Kant born 1724.
      Monday April 23rd. Moon Aries. New Moon.
      George (slayer of the Dragon, that according to legend lived in the time
      of
      Diocletian). Shaespeare born 1564.
      Tuesday April 24th. Moon Aries.
      Sigmund.
      Wednesday April 25th. Moon Taurus.
      Mark the Evangelist.
      Thursday April 26th. Moon Taurus.
      Uhland born 1787.
      Friday April 27th. Moon Gemini.
      Tertullian (famous Church teacher of the 3rd century). Socrates born 470
      B.C.
      Emerson died 1882.
      Saturday April 28th. Moon Gemini.
      Eusebius.

      I cannot attach to this e-mail the zodiac painting of Aries (one of the 12
      images published with the original calendar; the Sun is in Aries from April
      14th to 30th in our era according to the Doctor), because attachements are
      blocked on this list after Jeff sent everyone a virus. I will try to put it
      on the website as a file anyone can download.

      Dr. Starman

      P.S. Franky on the 'anthroposophy' list described the stage lighting for this
      week's calendar of the soul verse. I'm sure she wouldn't mind my re-posting
      it here with a few things added to it.

      <<How to breathe in each verse of Calendar of the Soul ?

      The Stage lights gives one way.

      In week 02

      First part: Blue above, white below (foot light).

      Ins Äussere des Sinnesalls (In the outer world of senses)

      Verliert Gedankenmacht ihr Eigensein; (powers of thought its separate being
      loses;)

      (*******This represents the experience of the blue sky above, ourselves
      below.)

      2nd part: Red above, green below:

      Es finden Geisteswelten (The worlds of spirit find)

      Den Menschensprossen wieder, (again their human offspring)

      Der seinen Keim in ihnen (who germinates in them)

      (*******This pictures the spiritual above active, we below passively
      receiving;)

      3rd part: red above and below:

      Doch seine Seelenfrucht (but his own fruit of soul)

      (*******This pictures that both the spiritual world AND ourselves are active;)

      4th part: Blue above, green below:

      In sich muss finden (within himself must find)

      (*******This is an image of the heavens above, receiving below again.)

      Steiner gave out eurythmy forms for all 52 of the verses.