Re: [steiner] calendar of the soul

  • eurythmy
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 7, 2001
      Excellent idea to put them to file, they would be more easily accessible
      there, especially for new comers who fall in love with them.

      Franky

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 8, 2001
        There is an excellent article and beautiful drawings of the Calendar of the
        Soul forms on: http://www.eurythmy.org.uk/reading/art_nr.html
        Yours,
        Franky
      • starmann77@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 13, 2001
          < radistasi@... writes; Starman, I want to extend my thanks to you
          for posting the Soul-Calendar on a weekly basis. <<
          Fioredortica@... writes:
          ~~~~Hi Starman, I join in what Richard says: I started saving and filing
          your weekly calendars last summer, but there are many gaps in between weeks.
          I never told you before how much I appreciate that work you do, so, thanks!

          *******The Calendar starts with mantram #1 at Easter. If people would like
          to try using them, I 'll start posting them again at our anthroposophic "new
          year", Eastertide. This is a good time to start a spiritual exercise like
          this. What was conceived at Christmastime wants to rise up now, so any of
          you who were in the 12 Nights' study should consider doing it. Dr. Starman

          ~~~~I'd like to be able to something , I need some tips though.
          I have no idea how to work with it. Any advice or explanation on the subject
          would be useful and appreciated.
          Gisele >>

          *******All right, why don't all the people who would like to use the Calendar
          plan on starting on Easter Sunday? Here's some tips: first, let me repeat for
          anyone who is new to this what the 'Calendar of the Soul' is. Steiner gave
          out a series of 52 mantras that enable you to experience astrally the course
          of the year, and in the original 1912 published version there were also
          saints & other spiritual figures & events listed for each day, 12 images of
          the zodiac (one for each month), and the Moon phases and signs listed for
          each night. I have the 12 images and the German original of the Calendar with
          everything in it (most books have only the mantras) and can post this every
          week.

          The Calendar starts with mantram #1 at Easter. One way to think of using
          the mantras is like an actor learning one's lines. You first need to memorize
          the verse so that you can recite it from memory whenever you wish to. Then,
          you can enter a little deeper into the experience of it by repeating it,
          silently or aloud. Most people will insist on using an English translation,
          but I found that a hindrance: so I work with the original German and think
          the words in English as I say the German. That's how I did my translations a
          bit at a time over the past twenty years.

          The first verse, for instance, describes how the Sun calls out to us, how
          our senses are affected by its 'return' or rebirth at Easter (in the Northern
          Hemisphere; I don't want to get into any futile discussions with people about
          the hemispheres but it's obvious that the mantras are tied to the seasons as
          we experience them in the North).
          This awakens joy within us as the Light grows, drawing our thoughts out to
          the wide world. So:

          Wenn aus den Weltenweiten die Sonne spricht zum Menschensinn...
          When out of the World-Widths the Sun speaks to man's Senses...
          (Welten weiten, the wide world)
          Undf Freude aus Seelentiefen dem Light sich eint im Schauen...
          And Joy out of Soul-Deeps the Light becomes one with in Vision...

          As you can see, the German is not so much more difficult than the English.
          But choose either and start memorizing those first lines; they describe the
          Easter event. The Sun, Light, Vision.

          More tomorrow...

          Dr. Starman
        • Charlie Morrison
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 20, 2001
            -Dear Starman,

            Up until now I've been reading your 'calendar of the soul posts' but
            not actually using them. I also have a copy of this in book form, but
            I haven't used this either.

            After the recent posts on the subject, I've felt a strong inclination
            to actually make use of the mantras you send. So I began as soon as I
            read your latest installment, (week 1, the perfect time to start).

            I intend to memorise, digest and meditate on the mantras from now on.
            So I thank you for providing this service. Keep up the good work.

            Warm regards, charlie
          • starmann77@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 22, 2001
              In a message dated 4/20/01 8:21:59 PM, charliemorrison@... writes:

              << -Dear Starman,

              Up until now I've been reading your 'calendar of the soul posts' but
              not actually using them. I also have a copy of this in book form, but
              I haven't used this either.

              After the recent posts on the subject, I've felt a strong inclination
              to actually make use of the mantras you send. So I began as soon as I
              read your latest installment, (week 1, the perfect time to start).

              I intend to memorise, digest and meditate on the mantras from now on.
              So I thank you for providing this service. Keep up the good work.

              Warm regards, charlie >>

              Well, it's so good to hear someone is actually using these. The path of
              spiritual science is that one first begins to take these things in with one's
              ordinary mind, ponder them, speculate, etc.; but if one wishes to become a
              spiritual scientist, at some point one must begin to take up meditative
              Imaginations, mantras, etc., and develop a regular meditative life. All the
              speculation about what Steiner said in this or that lecture won't lead to
              seeing for oneself. OK, I'm starting posting them again regularly. If any
              others over the next year get anything out of these, they'll have you to
              thank.