Waldorf critics

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2012
      ******* What the "Waldorf critics" online are all about, for those who may not know, is that years ago a man named Dan Dugan heard Waldorf was a 'progressive' school and went to enroll his teenagers in a high school (in California, I believe); the teachers had them visit and decided they wouldn't fit in. He became enraged and sued. The courts couldn't be used to force his kids in, but when he found out our independent schools had an independent philosophy, unique methodology etc. based on something called "spiritual science", he tried to get US courts to declare it a religion and Waldorf schools 'religious' schools, I guess just to make sure they could never get tax money in the future. He just lost the case last year. But the movement he started has attracted lots of anti-spiritual cynics who frequently have no idea what goes on in a Waldorf school and/or are closed- minded to understanding any of it. They just want to portray us as a cult. The funny thing I've noticed is that while they're mostly atheist intellectuals, they have links on their web sites to born-again Christian fundamentalists, whom they also condemn.. As the saying goes, "the enemy of my enemy is my ally.". The cynics hate any and all spirit, and fundamentalists hate anything but their own limited knowledge of spiritual truth, condemning anything that goes beyond it (like, say, knowing the 4 temperaments or the laws of karma) as of the devil. So you have an unholy alliance of clever people misusing their intellect and ignorant people going by pure irrational feelings, like fear of what's different. In other words, the same combination of people that burned down the Goetheanum. Our movement could always use constructive criticism, but if they were honest they'd call it 'Waldorf haters'. If they only knew how much Waldorf teachers criticize and debate everything, they'd soon cease portraying us as a mindless cult blindly following Steiner's every word. -starman

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 7, 2012
        --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "Durward Starman " <DrStarman@...> wrote:

        > ******* What the "Waldorf critics" online are all about, for those who may not know, is that years ago a man named Dan Dugan heard Waldorf was a 'progressive' school and went to enroll his teenagers in a high school (in California, I believe); the teachers had them visit and decided they wouldn't fit in. He became enraged and sued. The courts couldn't be used to force his kids in, but when he found out our independent schools had an independent philosophy, unique methodology etc. based on something called "spiritual science", he tried to get US courts to declare it a religion and Waldorf schools 'religious' schools, I guess just to make sure they could never get tax money in the future. He just lost the case last year. But the movement he started has attracted lots of anti-spiritual cynics who frequently have no idea what goes on in a Waldorf school and/or are closed- minded to understanding any of it. They just want to portray us as a cult. The funny thing I've noticed is that while they're mostly atheist intellectuals, they have links on their web sites to born-again Christian fundamentalists, whom they also condemn.. As the saying goes, "the enemy of my enemy is my ally.". The cynics hate any and all spirit, and fundamentalists hate anything but their own limited knowledge of spiritual truth, condemning anything that goes beyond it (like, say, knowing the 4 temperaments or the laws of karma) as of the devil. So you have an unholy alliance of clever people misusing their intellect and ignorant people going by pure irrational feelings, like fear of what's different. In other words, the same combination of people that burned down the Goetheanum. Our movement could always use constructive criticism, but if they were honest they'd call it 'Waldorf haters'. If they only knew how much Waldorf teachers criticize and debate everything, they'd soon cease portraying us as a mindless cult blindly following Steiner's every word. -starman

        Well said, Starman. Now they try to leave the last 15 years of wasted effort alone and wait to see who has the courage to file the lawsuit that might actually produce results. In the interim, it is nothing more than the same slanted and twisted propaganda easily compiled from those who have honest objectives, i.e., real waldorfers.

        Dan has had it, and invites someone else to bring it on. Pete hasn'the courage for filing a civil lawsuit even, so that leaves him out, although he says it will be easier this time.

        What could be easier?

        Juan