Re: Emancipation Of Cognition?

  • juancompostella
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 6, 2012

      --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "be23566" <fairoaks@...> wrote:

      > "I think Steiner's idea in his Philosophy of Freedom is that we can
      > only
      > have free will if we know why we act. The reason he takes apart the
      > process of
      > cognition is to demonstrate that we can." SM
      >
      > Freedom is to know the law that guides our action is the conclusion of
      > Steiner's "Truth and Science". Chapter 1 of POF concludes by
      > asking what is the origin of thought (that guides our action).
      >
      > "You could say the 4 elements of our consciousness are related to
      > freedom in that
      > we have to WILL, to CHOOSE to think (search for a perceived reality's
      > matching
      > concept which we draw by intuition from the ideal world, making the
      > "vorstellung" or mental picture when we do so). " SM
      >
      > Ayn Rand: "that which you call 'free will' is your mind's freedom to
      > think or not, the only will you have, your only freedom. This is the
      > choice that controls all the choices you make and determines your life
      > and character."
      >
      > The above SM quotes seem true. That would mean the emancipation of
      > cognition depends on the WILL to understand it and do it. This is
      > interesting in that hardly anybody makes the effort to develop this
      > stuff, even those who like talking about it, with the result being not
      > much progress.
      >
      > **This makes me wonder if a study course should focus on building a case
      > as to why this stuff is important.**
      >
      > EMANCIPATION OF COGNITION
      > Chapter 1 EMANCIPATION OF WILLING (free will)
      > Chapter 2 EMANCIPATION OF DESIRE (individual questioning)
      > Chapter 3 EMANCIPATION OF THINKING (pure thinking)
      > Chapter 4 EMANCIPATION OF PERCEPTION (pure percept)
      > Chapter 5 EMANCIPATION OF CONCEPTION (pure concept)
      > Chapter 6 EMANCIPATION OF MENTAL PICTURING (individualized concept or
      > MP)
      > Chapter 7 EMANCIPATION OF EGO (individual cognitive satisfaction ¨C
      > questioning answered)

      If we merely (only) take the first component of the EOC, we have something very important to consider, relative to Free Will; and that is that the will of man is the least conscious, and therefore, the least developed part of its being. Thus, free will, or the emancipation of the will would first have to recognize the fact that we "do not" actually will anything; rather, we react to conditions, and then pretend (fool ourselves) into thinking that we can will.  This misconception would have to be recognized first, and then an approach could be made to finding out how to actually effect the increasing consciousness need to harness (emancipate) the will.

      As well, the emancipation of the Ego, just to take the last of the seven, would entail the realization that the present state of the ego in its individual consciousness is rather a rudimentary formation (neanderthal), and that a true freedom could only arise the further we develop the three higher degrees of Egohood, as described in LT # 13, as an example.   They are: (1) Spirit-Self; (2) Life-Spirit; and, (3) Spirit-Man.

      ¡¡

      You see, this is why the principles inherent in POF had to advance into Spiritual Science. Otherwise, you are merely conceptualizing the impossible at this stage of our evolution. By incorporating spiritual concepts into this analysis, a greater affiliation with Reality is possible, and we also get to see exactly where we are at in the present scheme of things.

      Juan

    • juancompostella
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 6, 2012
        --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "be23566" <fairoaks@...> wrote:

        > "I think Steiner's idea in his Philosophy of Freedom is that we can
        > only
        > have free will if we know why we act. The reason he takes apart the
        > process of
        > cognition is to demonstrate that we can." SM
        >
        > Freedom is to know the law that guides our action is the conclusion of
        > Steiner's "Truth and Science". Chapter 1 of POF concludes by
        > asking what is the origin of thought (that guides our action).
        >
        > "You could say the 4 elements of our consciousness are related to
        > freedom in that
        > we have to WILL, to CHOOSE to think (search for a perceived reality's
        > matching
        > concept which we draw by intuition from the ideal world, making the
        > "vorstellung" or mental picture when we do so). " SM
        >
        > Ayn Rand: "that which you call 'free will' is your mind's freedom to
        > think or not, the only will you have, your only freedom. This is the
        > choice that controls all the choices you make and determines your life
        > and character."
        >
        > The above SM quotes seem true. That would mean the emancipation of
        > cognition depends on the WILL to understand it and do it. This is
        > interesting in that hardly anybody makes the effort to develop this
        > stuff, even those who like talking about it, with the result being not
        > much progress.
        >
        > **This makes me wonder if a study course should focus on building a
        case
        > as to why this stuff is important.**
        >
        > EMANCIPATION OF COGNITION
        > Chapter 1 EMANCIPATION OF WILLING (free will)
        > Chapter 2 EMANCIPATION OF DESIRE (individual questioning)
        > Chapter 3 EMANCIPATION OF THINKING (pure thinking)
        > Chapter 4 EMANCIPATION OF PERCEPTION (pure percept)
        > Chapter 5 EMANCIPATION OF CONCEPTION (pure concept)
        > Chapter 6 EMANCIPATION OF MENTAL PICTURING (individualized concept or
        > MP)
        > Chapter 7 EMANCIPATION OF EGO (individual cognitive satisfaction –
        > questioning answered)

        TOM: **This makes me wonder if a study course should focus on building
        a case
        as to why this stuff is important.**

        It is already important, and your programmed instruction serves it very
        well.

        POF thinking is a demand of the age, make no mistake about that.
        Otherwise, we as a culture are highly susceptible to falling for
        whatever cleverly packaged 'corn' they want to give us. We must think
        for ourselves. In fact, that is what Nathan Blumenthal first said in
        response to Ayn Rand's question: "What are your principles"? He
        responded: "to think for myself."

        Juan