Emancipation Of Cognition?

  • be23566
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 5, 2012

      When I began to compare Steiner's freedom philosophy to Ayn Rand's I saw I wasn't clear enough about Steiner's concepts. When I looked at defining his concepts it seemed they also needed an order to them. So I tried to see a way it could be organized for easier comparison, plus I want to design a new POF study course.

      I thought about the EMANCIPATION OF COGNITION as the theme for Part I.  I would present it as positive and negative freedom. "Freedom to" and "freedom from". The 7 chapters in Part I cover willing, feeling (desire), and thinking in their relation to cognition and then cover the 4 main elements of cognition: perception, conception, mental picturing, and ego. Each part of cognition can be studied under the theme of freedom, or can it? Any reason why this would be a bad approach?

      The objective is to encourage the development of each of the parts of cognition by understanding it and adding some observation exercises. This is a quick summary that I would expand upon if I decide this is a good approach.
      Tom Last
      philosophyoffreedom.com

      EMANCIPATION OF COGNITION

      Chapter 1 EMANCIPATION OF WILLING
      Emancipation of the will from determinism.
      Freedom to express yourself in action and thought.

      Chapter 2 EMANCIPATION OF DESIRE
      Emancipation of desire from only natural urges.
      Freedom to desire knowledge.

      Chapter 3 EMANCIPATION OF THINKING
      Emancipation of thinking from everyday thinking about objects.
      Freedom to think purely which is to think about thinking by directing one's attention upon thought (pure concepts) that is disentangled from all perception.

      Chapter 4 EMANCIPATION OF PERCEPTION
      Emancipation of perception from bias or entanglement with conceptual definitions that we add.
      Freedom of perception is pure perception which is directing our attention upon objects
      disentangled from all thinking.

      Chapter 5 EMANCIPATION OF CONCEPTION
      Emancipation of conception from the belief that concepts are not a part of real things, but exist only in our heads.
      Freedom of conception is to find corresponding concepts that are indivisibly bound up with the thing.

      Chapter 6 EMANCIPATION OF MENTAL PICTURING
      Emancipation of mental picturing from merely repeating in mental pictures events that have occurred.
      Freedom of mental picturing is to express the corresponding concept in an individual way.

      Chapter 7 EMANCIPATION OF EGO
      Emancipation of the ego from the limitations of cognition.
      Freedom of the ego to satisfy the thirst for knowledge by combining for itself the two elements of reality (percept and concept, both of which it is familiar) which are indivisibly bound up with one another in the world.

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 5, 2012
        *******I think Steiner's idea in his Philosophy of Freedom is that we can only have free will if we know why we act. The reason he takes apart the process of cognition is to demonstrate that we can. You could say the 4 elements of our consciousness are related to freedom in that we have to WILL, to CHOOSE to think (search for a perceived reality's matching concept which we draw by intuition from the ideal world, making the "vorstellung" or mental picture when we do so). It requires volition: at first, as school-age children, we do it semi-consciously following others, but then we become conscious of doing it, in our teens. So the process is relatively unfree at first and only gradually becomes one that can possibly be free. And a person can choose NOT to think: not to draw in a concept, or not to match it to what is perceived, or to deliberately match it wrongly. A mental picture can be just accepted from others rather than made by matching a concept to what one observes for oneself (that's what's wrong with accepting religions). Even perceiving is at first unconscious, but later has to be willed: one can will NOT to see or hear a thing, for instance at a party when you block out all the sound except the one person's voice you're talking to (there are, of course, more sinister examples). Steiner described the ideal 'Goethean' science as one, in fact, where you don't allow pure sense perception to be clouded or obscured (by concepts or theories/prejudices, etc.) but just will to purely perceive. Just some thoughts about it. -starman

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 6, 2012

          "I think Steiner's idea in his Philosophy of Freedom is that we can only
          have free will if we know why we act. The reason he takes apart the process of
          cognition is to demonstrate that we can." SM

          Freedom is to know the law that guides our action is the conclusion of Steiner's "Truth and Science". Chapter 1 of POF concludes by asking what is the origin of thought (that guides our action).

          "You could say the 4 elements of our consciousness are related to freedom in that
          we have to WILL, to CHOOSE to think (search for a perceived reality's matching
          concept which we draw by intuition from the ideal world, making the
          "vorstellung" or mental picture when we do so). " SM

          Ayn Rand: "that which you call 'free will' is your mind's freedom to think or not, the only will you have, your only freedom. This is the choice that controls all the choices you make and determines your life and character."

          The above SM quotes seem true. That would mean the emancipation of cognition depends on the WILL to understand it and do it. This is interesting in that hardly anybody makes the effort to develop this stuff, even those who like talking about it, with the result being not much progress.

          **This makes me wonder if a study course should focus on building a case as to why this stuff is important.**

          EMANCIPATION OF COGNITION
          Chapter 1 EMANCIPATION OF WILLING (free will)
          Chapter 2 EMANCIPATION OF DESIRE (individual questioning)
          Chapter 3 EMANCIPATION OF THINKING (pure thinking)
          Chapter 4 EMANCIPATION OF PERCEPTION (pure percept)
          Chapter 5 EMANCIPATION OF CONCEPTION (pure concept)
          Chapter 6 EMANCIPATION OF MENTAL PICTURING (individualized concept or MP)
          Chapter 7 EMANCIPATION OF EGO (individual cognitive satisfaction – questioning answered)

          --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "Durward Starman " <DrStarman@...> wrote:

          > *******I think Steiner's idea in his Philosophy of Freedom is that we can only have free will if we know why we act. The reason he takes apart the process of cognition is to demonstrate that we can. You could say the 4 elements of our consciousness are related to freedom in that we have to WILL, to CHOOSE to think (search for a perceived reality's matching concept which we draw by intuition from the ideal world, making the "vorstellung" or mental picture when we do so). It requires volition: at first, as school-age children, we do it semi-consciously following others, but then we become conscious of doing it, in our teens. So the process is relatively unfree at first and only gradually becomes one that can possibly be free. And a person can choose NOT to think: not to draw in a concept, or not to match it to what is perceived, or to deliberately match it wrongly. A mental picture can be just accepted from others rather than made by matching a concept to what one observes for oneself (that's what's wrong with accepting religions). Even perceiving is at first unconscious, but later has to be willed: one can will NOT to see or hear a thing, for instance at a party when you block out all the sound except the one person's voice you're talking to (there are, of course, more sinister examples). Steiner described the ideal 'Goethean' science as one, in fact, where you don't allow pure sense perception to be clouded or obscured (by concepts or theories/prejudices, etc.) but just will to purely perceive. Just some thoughts about it. -starman

        • juancompostella
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 6, 2012

            --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "be23566" <fairoaks@...> wrote:

            > "I think Steiner's idea in his Philosophy of Freedom is that we can
            > only
            > have free will if we know why we act. The reason he takes apart the
            > process of
            > cognition is to demonstrate that we can." SM
            >
            > Freedom is to know the law that guides our action is the conclusion of
            > Steiner's "Truth and Science". Chapter 1 of POF concludes by
            > asking what is the origin of thought (that guides our action).
            >
            > "You could say the 4 elements of our consciousness are related to
            > freedom in that
            > we have to WILL, to CHOOSE to think (search for a perceived reality's
            > matching
            > concept which we draw by intuition from the ideal world, making the
            > "vorstellung" or mental picture when we do so). " SM
            >
            > Ayn Rand: "that which you call 'free will' is your mind's freedom to
            > think or not, the only will you have, your only freedom. This is the
            > choice that controls all the choices you make and determines your life
            > and character."
            >
            > The above SM quotes seem true. That would mean the emancipation of
            > cognition depends on the WILL to understand it and do it. This is
            > interesting in that hardly anybody makes the effort to develop this
            > stuff, even those who like talking about it, with the result being not
            > much progress.
            >
            > **This makes me wonder if a study course should focus on building a case
            > as to why this stuff is important.**
            >
            > EMANCIPATION OF COGNITION
            > Chapter 1 EMANCIPATION OF WILLING (free will)
            > Chapter 2 EMANCIPATION OF DESIRE (individual questioning)
            > Chapter 3 EMANCIPATION OF THINKING (pure thinking)
            > Chapter 4 EMANCIPATION OF PERCEPTION (pure percept)
            > Chapter 5 EMANCIPATION OF CONCEPTION (pure concept)
            > Chapter 6 EMANCIPATION OF MENTAL PICTURING (individualized concept or
            > MP)
            > Chapter 7 EMANCIPATION OF EGO (individual cognitive satisfaction ¨C
            > questioning answered)

            If we merely (only) take the first component of the EOC, we have something very important to consider, relative to Free Will; and that is that the will of man is the least conscious, and therefore, the least developed part of its being. Thus, free will, or the emancipation of the will would first have to recognize the fact that we "do not" actually will anything; rather, we react to conditions, and then pretend (fool ourselves) into thinking that we can will.  This misconception would have to be recognized first, and then an approach could be made to finding out how to actually effect the increasing consciousness need to harness (emancipate) the will.

            As well, the emancipation of the Ego, just to take the last of the seven, would entail the realization that the present state of the ego in its individual consciousness is rather a rudimentary formation (neanderthal), and that a true freedom could only arise the further we develop the three higher degrees of Egohood, as described in LT # 13, as an example.   They are: (1) Spirit-Self; (2) Life-Spirit; and, (3) Spirit-Man.

            ¡¡

            You see, this is why the principles inherent in POF had to advance into Spiritual Science. Otherwise, you are merely conceptualizing the impossible at this stage of our evolution. By incorporating spiritual concepts into this analysis, a greater affiliation with Reality is possible, and we also get to see exactly where we are at in the present scheme of things.

            Juan

          • juancompostella
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 6, 2012
              --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "be23566" <fairoaks@...> wrote:

              > "I think Steiner's idea in his Philosophy of Freedom is that we can
              > only
              > have free will if we know why we act. The reason he takes apart the
              > process of
              > cognition is to demonstrate that we can." SM
              >
              > Freedom is to know the law that guides our action is the conclusion of
              > Steiner's "Truth and Science". Chapter 1 of POF concludes by
              > asking what is the origin of thought (that guides our action).
              >
              > "You could say the 4 elements of our consciousness are related to
              > freedom in that
              > we have to WILL, to CHOOSE to think (search for a perceived reality's
              > matching
              > concept which we draw by intuition from the ideal world, making the
              > "vorstellung" or mental picture when we do so). " SM
              >
              > Ayn Rand: "that which you call 'free will' is your mind's freedom to
              > think or not, the only will you have, your only freedom. This is the
              > choice that controls all the choices you make and determines your life
              > and character."
              >
              > The above SM quotes seem true. That would mean the emancipation of
              > cognition depends on the WILL to understand it and do it. This is
              > interesting in that hardly anybody makes the effort to develop this
              > stuff, even those who like talking about it, with the result being not
              > much progress.
              >
              > **This makes me wonder if a study course should focus on building a
              case
              > as to why this stuff is important.**
              >
              > EMANCIPATION OF COGNITION
              > Chapter 1 EMANCIPATION OF WILLING (free will)
              > Chapter 2 EMANCIPATION OF DESIRE (individual questioning)
              > Chapter 3 EMANCIPATION OF THINKING (pure thinking)
              > Chapter 4 EMANCIPATION OF PERCEPTION (pure percept)
              > Chapter 5 EMANCIPATION OF CONCEPTION (pure concept)
              > Chapter 6 EMANCIPATION OF MENTAL PICTURING (individualized concept or
              > MP)
              > Chapter 7 EMANCIPATION OF EGO (individual cognitive satisfaction –
              > questioning answered)

              TOM: **This makes me wonder if a study course should focus on building
              a case
              as to why this stuff is important.**

              It is already important, and your programmed instruction serves it very
              well.

              POF thinking is a demand of the age, make no mistake about that.
              Otherwise, we as a culture are highly susceptible to falling for
              whatever cleverly packaged 'corn' they want to give us. We must think
              for ourselves. In fact, that is what Nathan Blumenthal first said in
              response to Ayn Rand's question: "What are your principles"? He
              responded: "to think for myself."

              Juan