info on Steiner (mis?)quote

  • Ondria J.
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2012
      Hello,

      I've been told that the following quote is not really by Rudolf Steiner. Anyone in this group have any information as to who said it if it was not Steiner?

      "The healthy social life is found when, in the mirror of each human soul, the whole community finds its reflection and when, in the community, the strength of each individual is living."
    • juancompostella
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2012
        --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "Ondria J." <ondria@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I've been told that the following quote is not really by Rudolf Steiner. Anyone in this group have any information as to who said it if it was not Steiner?
        >
        > "The healthy social life is found when, in the mirror of each human soul, the whole community finds its reflection and when, in the community, the strength of each individual is living."

        No. It sounds like a Steiner quote. It sounds like one that could have come out of his "Awakening to Community" lectures in early 1923, just after the burning down event.

        Juan
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2012
          ******* Welcome to our group, Ondria. I am an astrosopher, speech artist, actor and former Waldorf high school science teacher who was asked to manage this group over 10 years ago.

             It's what's called the Motto of the Social Ethic or the Fundamental Social Law. My translation is:
          "The healthy social life is found
          When in the mirror of each human being
          The whole community finds its reflection
          And when in the community
          The virtue of each one is living."

            We've been having a discussion here lately of Steiner's philosophy of Ethical Individualism. Discussion of how to improve society, however, seems very quickly to degenerate into political histrionics, and I have banned that from the group as disruptive. If we can have a fruitful discussion of the social order here, though, that would be welcome.

          To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
          From: juancompostella@...
          Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2012 02:44:14 +0000
          Subject: [steiner] Re: info on Steiner (mis?)quote

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2012

            > ******* Welcome to our group, Ondria. I am an astrosopher, speech artist, actor and former Waldorf high school science teacher who was asked to manage this group over 10 years ago.
            > It's what's called the Motto of the Social Ethic or the Fundamental Social Law. My translation is:"The healthy social life is found
            > When in the mirror of each human
            > being
            > The whole community finds its reflection
            > And when in the
            > community
            > The virtue of each one is living."
            > We've been having a discussion here lately of Steiner's philosophy of Ethical Individualism. Discussion of how to improve society, however, seems very quickly to degenerate into political histrionics, and I have banned that from the group as disruptive. If we can have a fruitful discussion of the social order here, though, that would be welcome.
            > Starman
            >
            > www.DrStarman.com

            "The Motto of the Social Ethic or the Fundamental Social Law".  Well, there you have it.  Thanks, Starman.

            I was just guessing ;)

            Juan

          • juancompostella
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 2012
              > We've been having a discussion here lately of Steiner's philosophy of Ethical Individualism. Discussion of how to improve society, however, seems very quickly to degenerate into political histrionics, and I have banned that from the group as disruptive. If we can have a fruitful discussion of the social order here, though, that would be welcome.
              > Starman

              Let us remember that this discussion began because Mitt Romney had named an advocate of Ayn Rand as his running-mate, Paul Ryan. And thus was born the comparative analysis of Steiner's Ethical Individualism, and Rand's Objectivist Epistemology.

              Rand had the idea of an ideal man in the form of two protagonists who were expressed in her own ideal form of the novel as the expression of philosophy. These were the figures of Howard Roarke, and John Galt. But, were they the ultimate expressions of Ego in mankind?

              Steiner would begin with his own idea of freedom, wherein the ethics of individualism, and a moral basis, would be the ground for a growth factor. This would eventually bring forth the concept of ego consciousness, wherein three higher degrees who be achieved over time.

              This would encompass a long time. Rand's idea of the ideal man seems to fall short of the man of the future, yet she saw this ideal in evolution. Howard Roarke and John Galt echo the future goal of the supreme being of mankind with their respective strivings today, and expressed so well in the writings of Ayn Rand.

              Yet, she refused any idea of a spiritual science at work in this ego development. But, she had the right idea at the time. This is what we are appreciating today in this contemplation.

              This is what I perceive about it anyway, guys! Thanks.

              Juan
            • juancompostella
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 2, 2012

                --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "juancompostella" <juancompostella@...> wrote:

                > --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, Durward Starman DrStarman@ wrote:
                > > We've been having a discussion here lately of Steiner's philosophy of Ethical Individualism. Discussion of how to improve society, however, seems very quickly to degenerate into political histrionics, and I have banned that from the group as disruptive. If we can have a fruitful discussion of the social order here, though, that would be welcome.
                > > Starman
                >

                > Let us remember that this discussion began because Mitt Romney had named an advocate of Ayn Rand as his running-mate, Paul Ryan. And thus was born the comparative analysis of Steiner's Ethical Individualism, and Rand's Objectivist Epistemology.
                >
                > Rand had the idea of an ideal man in the form of two protagonists who were expressed in her own ideal form of the novel as the expression of philosophy. These were the figures of Howard Roarke, and John Galt. But, were they the ultimate expressions of Ego in mankind?
                >
                > Steiner would begin with his own idea of freedom, wherein the ethics of individualism, and a moral basis, would be the ground for a growth factor. This would eventually bring forth the concept of ego consciousness, wherein three higher degrees who be achieved over time.
                >
                > This would encompass a long time. Rand's idea of the ideal man seems to fall short of the man of the future, yet she saw this ideal in evolution. Howard Roarke and John Galt echo the future goal of the supreme being of mankind with their respective strivings today, and expressed so well in the writings of Ayn Rand.
                >
                > Yet, she refused any idea of a spiritual science at work in this ego development. But, she had the right idea at the time. This is what we are appreciating today in this contemplation.
                >
                > This is what I perceive about it anyway, guys! Thanks.

                These leading thoughts from 1924 seem to give a real basis to the ego and its evolution.  Rand was still two years away from even coming here to this country.  Let us consider that :)

                13. On the path of meditation we discover, beside the form in which the ` I ' occurs in ordinary consciousness, three further forms: (1) In the consciousness which takes hold of the etheric body, the ` I ' appears in picture-form; yet the picture is at the same time active Being, and as such it gives man form and figure, growth, and the plastic forces that create his body. (2) In the consciousness which takes hold of the astral body, the ` I ' is manifested as a member of a spiritual world whence it receives its forces. (3) In the consciousness just indicated, as the last to be achieved, the ` I ' reveals itself as a self-contained spiritual Being — relatively independent of the surrounding spiritual world.

                Further Leading Thoughts issued from the Goetheanum for the Anthroposophical Society

                14. The second form of the ` I ' — first of the three forms that were indicated in the last section — appears as a `picture' of the I. When we become aware of this picture-character, a light is also thrown on the quality of thought in which the ` I ' appears before the ordinary consciousness. With all manner of reflections, men have sought within this consciousness for the `true I.' Yet an earnest insight into the experiences of the ordinary consciousness will suffice to show that the `true I' cannot be found therein. Only a shadow-in-thought is able to appear there — a shadowy reflection, even less than a picture. The truth of this seizes us all the more when we progress to the ` I ' as a picture, which lives in the etheric body. Only now are we rightly kindled to search for the ` I ', for the true being of man.

                15. Insight into the form in which the ` I ' lives in the astral body leads to a right feeling of the relation of man to the spiritual world. For ordinary consciousness this form of the ` I ' is buried in the dark depths of the unconscious, where man enters into connection with the spiritual being of the Universe through Inspiration. Ordinary consciousness experiences only a faint echo-in-feeling of this Inspiration from the wide expanse of the spiritual world, which holds sway in depths of the soul.

                16. It is the third form of the ` I ' which gives us insight into the independent Being of man within a spiritual world. It makes us feel how, with his earthly-sensible nature, man stands before himself as a mere manifestation of what he really is. Here lies the starting-point of true Self-knowledge. For the Self which fashions man in his true nature is revealed to him in Knowledge only when he progresses from the thought of the ` I ' to its picture, from the picture to the creative forces of the picture, and from the creative forces to the spiritual Beings who sustain them.

                http://wn.rsarchive.org/Books/GA026/English/RSP1973/GA026_a01.html

              • juancompostella
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 4, 2012
                  Yes, it was just confirmed on another list that you had it right. Thanks.

                  http://wn.rsarchive.org/Articles/FuSoLa_index.html