Re: RAD, etc.

  • Janet
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 17, 2001
      I'd like to clarify one point regarding my previous post about autism.
      The 1 in 150 number is accurate, however it is for what is now known as
      "Autism Spectrum Disorder" or ASD. This category includes several
      autism-like conditions such as Asperger's and Rett's Syndromes as well
      as full-blown autism.

      So, the 1 in 150 is not specifically "autistic"--in which they must
      demonstrate 7 out of 14 criteria--but children with autistic-like
      symptoms, which is bad enough I think considering they may have 5 or 6
      out of the 14. It's also interesting that cases occur frequently in
      clusters, much like some types of cancer do.

      Janet
    • Richard Distasi
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 17, 2001
        Janet,
        thanks for your response to the issue of R.A.D. I don't have the background
        that you have in this field however one can begin to see that as you said,
        "something nefarious is at work here." With the alarming increase of R.A.D.,
        autism and ADHD I would have to agree. You addressed the forces that most
        likely are behind this (what else could you call it) 'attack' on today's
        children. I would have to concur with your opinion. Also, thanks for the web
        site at the bottom of your message. Here is a portion of it:

        " The Mind Garden recognizes that the spirit of a child needs nourishing and
        nurturing before all else because if a child's spirit is crushed or ignored,
        nothing else functions properly. There will be a lack of ethics, integrity
        and respect. Sound familiar in the climate and culture of today?"

        Thanks again, Rick Distasi