RE: [steiner] Anthroposophy - where to begin?

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 2012
      ******* Greetings Chris and welcome to our group.

         That's a question that's hard to answer, about how to start, because there are many approaches to anthroposophy, depending on each person's interests. First, it's a path of knowledge where the written and spoken word of Steiner and his followers replaces the personal "guru" of the old yoga path, so there are the 5 or 6 basic books. I have a summary of these in the Files section, based on 30 years of working with the material. There is a purely philosophical path, centered on his Philosophy of Freedom but also encompassing all his other philosophical writings; then the study of ancient religions including Christianity (Christianity As Mystical Fact), for all to whom that's a main drive in life; then the description of the higher life of us as individuals and how we re-incarnate (Theosophy), how to meditate and what happens as you adopt a meditative practice (Knowledge of the Higher Worlds), what the past history of the human race and the earth was (Cosmic Memory)--- and then An Outline of Occult Science combines all these in one volume.

           Just as you study any other science by immersing yourself in the textbooks and then go on to practice while going back to the basic study material again and again, Steiner wrote these books so that the reading of them would help awaken our dormant psychic faculties which meditation then continues to develop. But there is also a whole path within Eurythmy, for instance, or bio-dynamic agriculture, or the medicine. People pursuing those due to a great interest in them may read just a bit of the basic books and then have to get bits and pieces from other co-workers while practicing, but they would do better with a good grounding in the basics.

          It sounds like you might do well to study some of Steiner's philosophic writings, and if you want to start working with B-D, read Cosmic Memory and the Agriculture lectures to get a bit of our very different perspective on the earth and living creatures that is diametrically opposite to materialistic Darwinism. As for AMORC, I have never been impressed with anything of theirs.

          If you don't have many other anthroposophists around you, well, that's what I hope this group might serve as, is a way for us to communicate, which unfortunately few use it for -- so it's there for you to ask questions and have a conversation with others. I was asked to host the group ten years ago and have only one rule which is that discussion is relevant to anthroposophy and does not veer off into irrelevant things like political rants, which I consider out of bounds. I have studied all the areas of anthroposophy and specialize in astrology as well as Speech and Drama, projective geometry, the Mystery Dramas, music and singing.

           P.S. Thank all of you for inquiring after my safety in the wake of the jet crash here in Virginia Beach. In fact, it came down only a few hundred yards from my HQ. We felt the impact in my astrology reading room on Good Friday, and the acrid smoke filled the air around the building.
         No one was killed this time, but it's a reminder that we need to close this huge Oceana jet base which the city has grown around before a catastrophe occurs.

      To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
      From: chris.niesen@...
      Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 22:24:47 -0500
      Subject: [steiner] Anthroposophy - where to begin?

      Hi Everyone,

      I apologize in advance if this has been asked before.  I am somewhat new to Steiner's work, and I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on where to begin.  I am mostly interested in the anthroposophical philosophies and Biodynamic gardening.  I have read "Founding a Science of the Spirit" and I own and have tried to get through the "Outline of Esoteric Science" as well as the book "How to Know Higher Worlds", but I seem to get lost in the middle of the last two books I mentioned.  SInce I am also interested in Rosicrucianism, I signed up for a year of AMORC monographs, but I am debating whether or not to continue, as they seem pretty basic.