Re: [steiner] Reactive Attachment Disorder

  • Richard Distasi
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 14, 2001
      Sena, the only reason for bringing this to our attention was simply to bring
      the issue up for anyone who may be interested in following it up on his/her
      own. I really had no anthroposophical agenda at all though such an issue can
      become quite anthroposophical as far as to why this is happening and what
      can be done about it. The reason I did so was that I was reading an article
      in a local newspaper about a week ago on children who are being adopted here
      in the U.S.A. from overseas. Many are found to have severe cases of R.A.D.
      Most of these children are from Russian and Romanian orphanages. The prime
      reason for even raising this issue in e-groups was simply as a human
      interest story and to let others see what has happened to many of the
      children from this part of the world though it is not meant to be to the
      exclusion of the suffering of other children in other such deplorable
      conditions from other parts of the world. Didn't Steiner once say that as a
      waldorf teacher one should look upon 'every' child as being akin to an angel
      that has descended from the spiritual worlds? Thanks for your interest, Rick
      Distasi
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 15, 2001
        Dear Rick
        Thanks for bringing posting the RAD link. I've been working with these kids
        for years in a Romanian curative education centre, but had not realised the
        issue had been named in the West and taken up so intensively. We are rather
        out of touch here, and the anthropop curative ed circles have not published
        research on this specifically as far as I know.
        Probably Steiner did not say anything about this in his teachings, Sena, for
        the disorder (although I saw a reference to it on one site as 'The Kaspar
        Hauser Syndrome') was probably little known in Steiner's time. It belongs to
        the neo-barbaric later 20th century.
        Nevertheless anthroposophy's concern to develop and uphold a true 'image of
        man' has a lot to do with the RAD children - just as autism, Down's
        Syndrome, or whatever other disturbance people have to cope with in finding
        their way.
        But all this has more to do with the working out of anthroposophy than its
        teachings, perhaps ....
        So thanks for posting this precious starting point, Rick.
        Greetings
        John Byrde

        > Rick,
        > Thanks for bringing this to our attention. However, I can't
        > quite see the connection with Steiner's teachings.
        > Regards,
        > Sena
        >
        > > The following posted U.R.L is a web site addressing the issue of
        > > R.A.D. in today's children:
        > >
        > > http://attachmenttherapy.com/ad.html
        > >
        > > [rick distasi]
      • Richard Distasi
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 16, 2001
          John,
          thank you for replying to the e-mail about children with R.A.D syndrome. I
          have seen documentaries about the conditions in Romanian and Russian
          orphanages. Please, if you have anything further to add to this in the
          future please do so. Thanks again, Rick Distasi
          > Thanks for bringing posting the RAD link. I've been working with these
          kids
          > for years in a Romanian curative education centre, but had not realised
          the
          > issue had been named in the West and taken up so intensively. We are
          rather
          > out of touch here, and the anthropop curative ed circles have not
          published
          > research on this specifically as far as I know.
          > Probably Steiner did not say anything about this in his teachings, Sena,
          for
          > the disorder (although I saw a reference to it on one site as 'The Kaspar
          > Hauser Syndrome') was probably little known in Steiner's time. It belongs
          > the neo-barbaric later 20th century.
          > Nevertheless anthroposophy's concern to develop and uphold a true 'image
          of
          > man' has a lot to do with the RAD children - just as autism, Down's
          > Syndrome, or whatever other disturbance people have to cope with in
          finding
          > their way.
          > But all this has more to do with the working out of anthroposophy than its
          > teachings, perhaps ....
          > So thanks for posting this precious starting point, Rick.
          > Greetings
          > John Byrde
          >

          > > Rick,
          > > Thanks for bringing this to our attention. However, I can't
          > > quite see the connection with Steiner's teachings.
          > > Regards,
          > > Sena
          > >
          > > > The following posted U.R.L is a web site addressing the issue of
          > > > R.A.D. in today's children:
          > > >
          > > > http://attachmenttherapy.com/ad.html
          > > >
          > > > [rick distasi]
          >

          > Post to steiner@egroups.com

          > Search the archives of the group at:

        • Sena Fernando
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 16, 2001
            Dear John,
            Thanks for the information.
            Sena

            > Thanks for bringing posting the RAD link. I've been working with these
            kids
            > for years in a Romanian curative education centre, but had not realised
            the
            > issue had been named in the West and taken up so intensively. We are
            rather
            > out of touch here, and the anthropop curative ed circles have not
            published
            > research on this specifically as far as I know.
            > Probably Steiner did not say anything about this in his teachings, Sena,
            for
            > the disorder (although I saw a reference to it on one site as 'The Kaspar
            > Hauser Syndrome') was probably little known in Steiner's time. It belongs
            > the neo-barbaric later 20th century.
            > Nevertheless anthroposophy's concern to develop and uphold a true 'image
            of
            > man' has a lot to do with the RAD children - just as autism, Down's
            > Syndrome, or whatever other disturbance people have to cope with in
            finding
            > their way.
            > But all this has more to do with the working out of anthroposophy than its
            > teachings, perhaps ....
            > So thanks for posting this precious starting point, Rick.
            > Greetings
            > John Byrde
            >

            > > Rick,
            > > Thanks for bringing this to our attention. However, I can't
            > > quite see the connection with Steiner's teachings.
            > > Regards,
            > > Sena
            > >
            > > > The following posted U.R.L is a web site addressing the issue of
            > > > R.A.D. in today's children:
            > > >
            > > > http://attachmenttherapy.com/ad.html
            > > >
            > > > [rick distasi]
            >

            > Post to steiner@egroups.com

            > Search the archives of the group at:

          • John Byrde
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 17, 2001
              John,
              thank you for replying to the e-mail about children with R.A.D syndrome. I
              have seen documentaries about the conditions in Romanian and Russian
              orphanages. Please, if you have anything further to add to this in the
              future please do so. Thanks again, Rick Distasi

              Will do, but now I've got my work cut out on this...
              John