RE: Mystery Drama in America

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 23, 2011
      ******* That's great to hear. That's what I'd like to see this e-group used for. Please recommend other people join, and all of you who are involved in anthroposophical activities, please post info about them here!

      And we have exciting news--- we did the second of Steiner's 4 Mystery Dramas last week, and have now agreed we're going to do the THIRD one next summer, the FOURTH in 2013, and then ALL FOUR TOGETHER in 2014! Remember this, because they are performed in English nowhere else in the world! We had people come from as far away as Australia to participate. We want to see you there next time!

      To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
      From: qbit@...
      Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 15:00:36 +0000
      Subject: [steiner] Re: Mystery Drama in America

      I spent four days at the event and it was very enlightening. The Steiner schools, farms and art centers were less than a half hour from where my house is, and if it wasn't for this yahoo-group message, I would have never found out about it.

      Thank you all,

      David:.

      --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "DrStarman" <DrStarman@...> wrote:

      > Dear Members,
      >
      > One of the unique things about anthroposophy is that rather than just being a philosophy, experienced only in the head, it can be taken in to your artistic and feeling life. The meditative path was not only described in books, but the experiences of people as they meditate have been portrayed on the stage in Dr. Steiner's 4 Mystery Dramas, in which we follow a group of people as they gain insight into who they were in past lives and how this influences their present life and makes it comprehensible.
      > Last year thousands of people went to the world headquarters in Switzerland to see performances of all 4. Aside from that special center in Europe, it's a rare thing to be able to see one performed--- but next month, Steiner's second Mystery Drama will be put on the stage in the US, in New York.
      > "The Soul's Probation" will be performed twice at the Threefold Auditorium in Chestnut Ridge, New York (about 30 miles north of NYC). You can either come to see just the play itself (tickets are as little as $35), or see it in sections over several days as part of a several-day-long conference interspersed with lectures on the play and discussion groups you can join.
      > The conference will be Aug. 17th-20th, the play by itself Aug. 20th, 2011. Make plans to come, and tell everyone who might be interested!
      > -starman

    • DrStarman
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 27, 2012
        ******* I'd like to invite all of you members in North America to come to the performance of one of Steiner's mystery dramas.

        The several hundred people who belong to this group hardly ever say anything or introduce themselves, so it's hard to say how much people know about Steiner and anthroposophy. Our movement has communities–––farms, schools, medical institutions––– but I assume most of the people who join this group don't live in one and know Steiner and anthroposophy only through books or the Internet.

        Well, anthroposophy is a path of awakening (or reawakening, or giving birth to) the higher self, a second self in addition to the one we're born with. This can only be done to a small degree by reading about things unless those things become part of a whole new way of living, including new ways of moving, speaking, using one's body in daily life.

        Just as in Eastern meditation, there is the art of tai chi or meditation in movement, there is a whole approach to movement that originated with Rudolf Steiner, Eurythmy. if you don't live in or near an anthroposophical community, there is little opportunity to see or experience this. There is an allied art of Speech Formation that has sprung from anthroposophy, and the same is true about it;---but both of these have given birth to an entirely new approach to acting, carried here in the United States by the Michael Chekhov group in New York City.

        Dr. Steiner taught that we move our bodies with the spirit, although in complete unconsciousness; acting is (or rather can be) raising these forces into consciousness. At the same time (1910–1914) that Steiner was beginning the development of eurythmy, he also wrote four Rosicrucian Mystery Dramas, and this whole new approach to speech and movement began with his indications to the actors of how they should enact the various characters on stage, some of which are not physical beings but beings we meet only in the astral worlds or in the spiritual world. In fact, the headquarters building of the society was mainly created to perform these plays, and musical/poetry/eurythmy performances.

        This all grew out of his central teaching, that the forces of the intellect are not powerful enough to grasp spiritual things, so that we must draw upon the much more powerful forces that we use to speak and move our bodies with–––so that Art is the spiritual path for man in the modern age. This is why an anthroposophical Study group must not merely read a book, but have the members engage in some artistic activity.

        if you don't live near a community of anthroposophists, and you're stuck with just reading books (or text on a page, anyway) about anthroposophy, please try to find your way to New York next month to this rare performance.

        It isn't only that these plays have some intellectual message that could be summarized in words on a page, but HOW the actors speak and move, the costumes, the lighting, the music–––all are worked out from spiritual sources and can speak to the audience in a way you can't understand unless you're there. When you experience this dimension of anthroposophy, you will begin to really know it for the first time, and understand what it's brought into the world and why it's different than any mere philosophy or religion.

        -starman
      • dalelute@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2012
          Hello Starman,

          Is there another performance August? I see one listed in July.

          Dale