Re: Question (fubar etymology)

  • Tom Mellett
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 24, 2010
      --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, DrStarman@... wrote: *******
      P.S. What is a "fubar"? ;->
      -------------------------
      Greetings Starman,

      I read your nice concise description here of Ahriman and Lucifer and just wanted to contribute the etymology of the word "fubar".

      It is an acronym that dates to both the American and British military forces in World War II.

      (Because one of the letters represents the 4 letter F-word, please allow me to translate it into the dialect of Classical Anthroposophese, where the F-word is 8 letters, i.e. "fructify.")

      Therefore:

      FUBAR = Fructified Up Beyond All Recognition
      Or the mechanic's variant: Fructified Up Beyond Any Repair.

      This is of course related to a second popular acronym
      SNAFU = Situation Normal, All Fructified Up

      And since we are so 3-fold in anthroposophy, you might expect a third acronym and so:
      TARFU = Things Are Really Fructified Up
      Or the British variant: Things Are Royally Fructified Up

      Tom Mellett
      Los Angeles, CA