New to group

  • sylverwytch
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2010
      Just sending out a "HI" message.  Just joined the group and as usual have a question or two that someone may be able to help me with.

      I am currently muddling through Steiner's book of lectures called "The Incarnation Of Ahriman" and am curious as to why Steiner choose to depict Ahriman as the opposite end (evil) from "Luciferic" or positive energy.  I fully understand his view of the triad of body, soul, and spirit but have been struggling to understand why he would choose the "devil" from Zoroasterianism without also referring to Ahura Mazda or good energy.   Thoughts?

      SW

    • robert.barnskog
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 9, 2010
        Hi SW,

        I`m also quite new to the list. Regarding your question, I think I have a clue about it, but I´m not clairvoyant, so I can`t really say I have verified it.

        The Ahrimanic is the pole of ICE, which serves the purpose of veiling the spiritual processes in the outside world - so that we can live our lives without being confused by this bewildering view - but it also fools us into believing the what we see is the whole picture and not just a photograph from one direction. This is the cause of our wonderful analyzing abilities, but also our well known materialism, our cold-hearted (but necessary) technology, our love of fragmentation and atomism... I could go on, but i think you get the point.

        The Luciferic is the pole of FIRE, which serves the purpose of veiling our own interior being from our selves - and save us from the shame and despair that we would feel when prematurely beholding it - but it also uses the fact that we can`t clearly see our own inner self, to fool us to belive that we are much better and much more important than we really are. This is the cause of our positive energy (as you wrote), our enthusiasm and our artistic creativity, but also of fundamentalism, of excess nationalism and similar phenomena.

        The Christian (Ahura Mazda was Christ before he descended to earth) is the middle way, which don´t mean to avoid the other two, but to keep them in balance, so that a healthy development can take place.

        Any corrections and - especially - extensions to this are most welcome. I`m also curious what you, SW, think about it. And then not so much about how you interpret Steiner, but about how you interpret the world based on the concepts you get from him or other spiritual scientists.

        Regards,
        Robert Bärnskog
        Linköping
        Sweden