Anthroposophical Society & "reversed cultus".

  • Peter Lam
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 19, 2009
      I refer again to Starman's post of 15 December: "different approaches to anthroposophy".  This and other recent posts raise various issues which I would like to say something on, but will restrict myself to making a request on just one subject at the moment.

      (On one of the other subjects, politics or conspiracy theories, people who would like to get an 'anthroposophical slant' on current affairs including matters relating to 9/11 may find articles of interest in back issues of the British magazine 'New View', which has a web site although it does not put its content on line.)

      On 15 December, Starman wrote:  "The true relationship of an anthroposophist to the Anthroposophical Society is not supposed to be one of "What can I do for the society?", but rather, "My spirit leads me to do such and such in the world; how can the society support my efforts?"  That's what Dr Steiner called the "reversed cultus" of our times....".  Thanks Starman, this just could be the most significant matter for me that has come with your posts since I joined the group.

      "Reversed cultus" is presumably the same as "Reverse Ritual" in the title of the volume of material by Steiner and Friedrich Benesch with introduction by Christopher Schaefer (Anthroposophic Press, 2001).  I was impressed enough by Dietrich V. Asten's  lecture "Sacramental and Spiritual Communion", shortly after if became available in the 1980's, to have read that lecture several times.  However, I have not previously connected  Asten's piece with how I might relate to the Society - which remains a problem for me.  I will follow up with the other material found in the above mentioned volume.  At the same time it might help me a lot if Starman can elaborate a little on the connection between one's potential relationship to the Society and the "reversed cultus".  Looking forward to further enlightenment.

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 19, 2009
        ******* The Idea of the "reversed cultus" is perhaps one of the most important that Steiner advanced.  What it means is that, in ancient times, man saw his purpose as being to serve the Gods.  That was when we were in our spiritual childhood, so to speak. But right around the time of Christ, mankind began to graduate to the level where the higher beings who have previously ruled our world began to give more and more of the control of things over to us, since we were becoming mature enough to run things ourselves.  So, now, what Man should seek to do is to discover what it is that lies within him as an impulse for doing things in the world, and then we basically say to the Gods,  now we want you to serve our purposes and aims.  Instead of Man serving the Gods, the Gods are meant to serve Man. A cultus in olden times meant  the offerings you would give to a God; the reversed cultus means the Gods bringing help to you.

           In a similar way, Dr. Steiner said that this spiritual movement cannot require anything of its members, but rather, the relationship of each member to the Society is one of what the SOCIETY must do to support the MEMBER and what's spiritually lives in him as his purposes and drives in the world.  So, for instance,  the Anthroposophical Society never directed a Karl Koenig to create the Camphill Villages,  but rather he came up with the impulse himself and then went to the Society and said, in essence, this is what the Spirit moves me to start -- -- -- and the Society then contributed to that impulse.  That's how this movement evolves and moves forward.  This is the result of our becoming spiritually mature, so that we have a different relationship to the spiritual hierarchies at work in the world.

        Starman

        To: steiner@yahoogroups.com