    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 27, 2009
    • 1 Attachment
    • 27 KB

        The 'CALENDAR OF THE SOUL'
       Dr. Rudolf Steiner
    gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, consisting of 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us as well as in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter Sunday. We experience this unconsciously all through the year, but these meditative verses enable us to become conscious of it.

       The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation CANCER from July 21st to August 3rd in our era.  A version (done by Margaret Roessler in what Steiner said was the color of the sign, green) of a new symbolic image of the CRAB from the original Soul-Calendar (created originally by artist Imma von Eckherdstein from Dr. Steiner's sketches & indications) is attached to this e-mail.

    *  M A N T R A  # 1 6 *

    Zu bergen Geistgeschenk im Innern,

    Gebietet strenge mir mein Ahnen,

    Dass reifend Gottesgaben

    In Seelengründen fruchtend

    Der Selbstheit Früchte bringen.

    To save the Spirit-Gifts in my Inner self

    Bids me strongly my sensing of the future,

    So that those ripening God-gifts

    In the Soul’s Ground bearing fruit

    The Selfhood's Fruit will bring.

      An interpretation: The summer is when we are meant to lose ourselves in the summer play of light and warmth, to find ourselves in a different way later in the year; and this is what the past few week's verses have pictured.

    Now this Spirit we surrendered to so strongly has wrapped itself about the Ego, planting seeds we sense will grow towards the future, and as they ripen, our own abilities will.

                   ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* *******

            THE DAYS OF THE WEEK:

    Sunday, July 26th. Moon Libra. Anna.

     .

    Monday, July 27th. Moon Libra, Martha.

    .

    Tuesday, July 28th. Moon Scorpio. First Quarter. 1750 Johann Seb. Bach died. 1794 Robespierre executed.1804 Philosopher Ludwig Feuerbach born.

    .

    Wednesday, July 29th. Moon Scorpio. Simplicius. 1856 Robert Schumann died.

    .

    Thursday, July 30th. Moon Sagittarius. Ruth.

     .

    Friday, July 31st. Moon Sagittarius.  1472 University of Munich founded. 1556 Ignatius von Loyola died. 1886 Franz

    Saturday, August 1st. Moon Sagittarius.. Macabees. 1744 Natural Scientist Lamarck born.

               ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* *****

    PLANETS in the Night Sky: Saturn is visible in the West from sunset on for about an hour, beneath the stars of the Lion.

    Jupiter is the bright 'star' in the southern sky from shortly after sunset till dawn. The almost-full moon will be seen near it August 1st-3rd.

    PLANETS in the Morning Sky: Before sunrise, Venus and Mars are visible in the East. Mars is close to the brilliant orange-reddish "Bull's Eye", Aldebaran, while Venus is lower down, closer to the horizon, amongst the stars of the Twins every morning this week.

    Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Celebrate the moment with your favorite sports pics. Check it out.
  • celestial_vision@comcast.net
    Message 2 of 7 , Jul 27, 2009
      Hi Starman,
      Were the original moon phases illustrated in some way, or described in text as you are showing? Can you explain a little more about how to use them?

      Exactly how is the adjustment made during the period where there almost never is exactly 52 weeks from Easter to Easter. Thanks for posting this ...
      Kind regards,
      Stephen

      ============================

         Dr. Rudolf Steiner
      gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, consisting of 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us as well as in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter Sunday. We experience this unconsciously all through the year, but these meditative verses enable us to become conscious of it.

    • stephenm142
      Message 3 of 7 , Aug 28, 2009
        Hi Starman, you say the list is little used, but I can't get my questions answered.
        Any thoughts?
        - Stephen

        =================

        Message 4 of 7 , Aug 28, 2009
          ******* I meant by you other people. You know, two-way communication, not someone asking me a question and then not usually not posting again for another year, but actual conversation and study together at least weekly with various members of the list. Like, about how each is applying anthroposophy in his life, what others think about how to make use of it, and so on.

             I'm pretty busy, so I'm sorry I hadn't gotten around to answering your question yet, Stephen. I was travelling all during the months of July and August, to the Rudolf Steiner Institute near Boston and then to the Mystery Play in Spring Valley. In the original Calendar of the Soul, a reprint of which is in print and available from Steinerbooks, you could see for yourself that there are the normal picture-notations at New Moon, First Quarter, Full Moon and Last Quarter, as used to be in all calendars when we all were farmers. As to how to use them, well, if you start being aware of the phase of the moon all the time, you can experience for yourself things at full moon, new moon, etc. Blood flows faster, hair grows faster, people act differently. As to what Steiner said directly, I have it at the start of each weelk's post, that one meditates on the sun's position by sign in the daytime to attune to the solar forces, while the moon's position is each evening, so you use it to sense the lunar forces.

            An e-mail saying the above sentences is not meant to be the end of a conversation. If you want to know more about what "solar" and "lunar" forces mean, that could be a continuation of a conversation or joint study. We all have to work out answers for ourselves, through our own experience. It takes time and application.

             Different groups have used the Soul-calendar verse different ways. The eurythmists, as I understand, have the forms for all 52 mantras marked "1st week August", "2nd week August", etc. So they approximate. At the Goetheanum, they calculate the period till next Easter and then divide it in 52 equal parts, so some years have weeks of more than 7 days and some shorter. As for myself, I don't feel like that would be a "week" which was an ancient measure of 7 days, each ruled by a planet (the "woch" in old English). So I simply start at Easter Sunday. Some years the 52nd mantra may come a few weeks before the new Easter, and so I keep using #52 until it arrives, while in other years the 51st and 52nd mantra may be cut off by Easter's arrival, in which case the jump to the new year is a bit rushed. But that's the natural consequence of using a year that is both solar and lunar, based on the first Sunday following the first full moon following the vernal equinox--- a living, changeable reality. It keeps you alive to stay alert to change, as in the real world. Dr. Steiner commented on the way some depored Easter being a moveable feast rather than every Dec. 25th or Jan. 1st, because of the frightful mess it made in account-books: all that shopping and purchasing at irregular times annually!

            But I find a correspondance between the mantras and what's going on in the Northern Hemisphere seasonally. For instance, whenever Easter comes early, spring comes early. (I suspect they should be reversed in the Southern, as also should be Easter.)

          -starman

          www.DrStarman.com

          To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
          From: celestial_vision@...