Sleep on it!

  • Robert Mason
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2008
      To All:

      I was browsing through a recent posting at the
      eLib --
      <http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/SomChr_index.html>,
      and it was interesting, but not much that was
      unexpected -- then I came across (yet another)
      of Steiner's statements that startled me, in
      that it is so penetrating, sweeping, and
      categorical:

      >>The man of to-day cannot form sensible
      decisions at all if he does not wake up with
      them in the morning.<<

      RS was speaking in Germany in the aftermath of
      the First World War (indeed, while the Allied
      starvation blockade of Germany was still in
      force), and he was explaining a little about
      the way such bad decisions were made that led
      to the outbreak of the war, and relating these
      catastrophic decisions to the changes that have
      come about in Man's soul-life in the past few
      centuries. And then he goes on to explain
      that sweeping statement:

      >>This is true, however strange it may sound,
      and men will recognise it more and more from
      external acts. It is not necessary that we
      should be conscious of these decisions; in our
      sub-consciousness we live through in the night
      what we can experience on the following day.
      Man has not yet got so far as to be able to
      survey it prophetically, but that is not the
      point. If you harbour a thought at 3:30 or 6
      o'clock [PM; I think he means], it may be a
      thought that you have already had in the night
      and now arises in you again. If, however, a
      thought arises that you have not already formed
      in the night but which is produced from out of
      the events of the day, it cannot be a
      reasonable thought in the case of the man of
      to-day. The man of to-day has to draw his most
      important impulses from the spiritual world.
      These do not come from the physical world at
      all. To-day we cannot but be "unreasonable" if
      we do not bring our decisions with us, if we do
      not appeal to this life in the spiritual world.
      When our "astral body" is free at night, i.e.,
      outside the physical and "etheric" bodies and
      together with the spiritual world, that which
      is most essential takes place; it is prepared
      for the Reason of the day (and more so than in
      the case of our ancestors). The moment of
      waking should be sacred for the modern man. He
      should feel: I come from the spiritual world
      and enter the physical; all that is good, all
      that makes me capable of being a reasonable
      man, I have experienced between falling asleep
      and waking up, through intercourse with the
      spiritual world, through intercourse with the
      dead I have known in life and who have died
      before me — in short, through intercourse with
      those who are no longer in a physical body. I
      experience it when I am with them in the purely
      spiritual world. From this experience I ought
      to draw the fundamental mood of sacred regard
      for the moment of waking; this fundamental
      feeling will then make it possible for me
      throughout the day to say in one case "Here I
      am helped by a spiritual impulse" and in
      another case "Here I receive no help; this must
      not be decided before to-morrow."<<

      -- Of course, we already have the saying *sleep
      on it*, but how many of us have really made it
      a rule for our lives? And how much of our
      messed-up lives could be explained by our
      failure to practice that principle? Steiner's
      sweeping statement suggests that it could well
      explain a lot.

      . . . anyway: The whole lecture is well worth
      reading, and strikes other chords within,
      especially given the current political/financial
      situation. For instance, speaking of the news
      of his day, Steiner remarked:

      >>The delegates to Versailles whom we [the
      Germans] have sent are as unfitted as possible
      to understand the present moment of world
      history.<<

      This is uncomfortably, chillingly resonant with
      this observer in the USA. It seems that in all
      the time that has passed since RS was speaking,
      despite all the blood that has flowed and all
      the suffering, nothing is essentially different
      in politics here and now as compared to
      Steiner's time and place (except maybe that
      weaponry is far more dangerous and deadly). RS
      said elsewhere that the worst rise to the top,
      and who could say now that *this* unhappy fact
      has changed?

      -- But before we get too depressed . . . I'll
      just mention an almost random hopeful sign I
      ran across: The Ethereal Christ is still
      making His appearances; here is one popular
      book that relates one woman's unexpected
      experiences with Him:
      <http://www.jesusisnojoke.com/heidihollis/id4.html>

      Just musing . . .

      Robert Mason
    • carol
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 19, 2008

        RS: '....One should understand that the anthroposophic view of the world is not intended as something sensational for "psychic idlers" — end many of our present day mystics are just that. One should see in it not a kind of dessert supplementing life's external, physical enjoyments, but something connected with the deepest impulses of our cultural life. The latter cannot become healthy unless fructified by the anthroposophic view of the world. We should engrave this fact deeply upon our souls when we have learnt to know this anthroposophic view..."

        The fact of  "imaginative moral impulses" is emphasized in this particular lecture and I find that this is most important in view of the deeply penetrating, multifaceted  forces of chaos we have no choice but to contend with in our current daily lives.

        An internet friend of mine,  who practices a deepened form of meditative Anthroposophy,  collectively,  sent me the following meditations,  because they correspond to a certain  quality of the current season: November-the time of year when we come closest to the world of the dead.

        May I take the freedom to suggest attaching  a few 'spiritual concepts' to living experience so as to better appreciate the video link which I've included at the bottom?

        (re. the anthroposophic view of the world, the deepest impulses of our cultural life, Moral Imagination,   Spirit zone reconnaisance)

        (meditations by RS)

        Meine Liebe sei Dir im  Geistgebiet.

        Lasse finden Deine  Seele

        Von meiner suchenden  Seele.

        Lasse lindern Deine  Kälte

        Von meinem Denken Deines  Wesens.

        So seien wir  verbunden,

        Ich mit Dir

        Und Du mit  mir.

        R. Steiner

        May my love be with you in the Spirit zone.

        Let your soul be found

        By my seeking soul.

        Let your cold be offset

        By my thinking of your essence.

        So we are bound together,

        Me with you

        And you with me.

        As a soul I am not on Earth, except in water, air and fire;

        In my fire, I am in the planets and in the sun.

        In my sun-being I am in the heaven of the fixed stars.

        As a soul I am not on Earth, except in light, Word and life

         In my life I am within the planetary and sun-being:in the spirit of wisdom.

        In my being of wisdom I am in the spirit of love.

        Ich bin als Seele nicht auf der  Erde, sondern nur in Wasser, Luft und Feuer;

        In meinem Feuer bin ich in den  Planeten und der Sonne.

        In meinem Sonnensein bin ich der  Fixsternhimmel.

        Ich bin als Seele nicht auf der  Erde, sondern in Licht, Wort und Leben.

        In meinem Leben bin ich im  Innern des planetarischen- und Sonnenseins: im Geiste der  Weisheit.

        In meinem Weisheitsein bin ich  in dem Geist der Liebe.

        R. Steiner

        Pavarotti - Ave Maria - Schubert

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uYrmYXsujI