Soul-Calendar, Week 26- Michaelmas

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2008
      Sorry to be late with this week's Calendar. This is the 26th week after Easter and therefore the Michaelmas verse, although on the calendar Michaelmas isn't till Sept. 29th. That's because Easter is a movable festival.

      Dr. Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, consisting of 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us as well as in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter Sunday. We experience this unconsciously all through the year, but these meditative verses enable us to become conscious of it.

      The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation VIRGO from Sept. 8th to Oct. 12th in our era.
      A version of a new symbolic image of the VIRGIN (from the original Soul-Calendar, done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications) , is attached to this e-mail.

       *  M A N T R A  # 2 6  * (Michaelmas)

      Natur, deine mütterliches Sein,

      Ich trage es in meinem Willenswesen;

      Und meines Willens Feuermacht,

      Sie stählet meines Geistes Triebe,

      Dass sie gebären Selbstgefühl,

      Zu tragen mich in mir.

      Nature, your mother-like Being,

      I carry you in my Will-Essence;

      And my Will's Fiery Might,

      It steels my Spirit-Drive,

      That this bears Self-Feeling,

      To carry myself in me.

      Interpretation of this week's mantra:

         The season of Autumn is the Michaelmas time, in which we are meant to develop Self (inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature (outer)-consciousness we have in summer.

          Last week this developing self-consciousness placed us in a state of being completely alone, so that the Light which within could be shed on the otherwise dark outer world.

          This week is the mood of Michaelmas verse itself---the developing ego-consciousness we have at this season we can feel is the Being of Nature itself, and we carry this into our own Wills; then, the will can give 'steel' or 'backbone' to the drives of our conscious human spirits, so that they have a stamp of Self-feeling; and if we flow with this, then, we have the experience of a second Self we carry within our ordinary selves.

      Sunday, September 14th. Moon Pisces. Full Moon. Festival of the High Cross.

                                                                       Heraclius, brought in 629 the Cross of Christ to Constantinople.

                                                                       1769 Alexander von Humboldt born.

                                                                         1887 The Philosopher Freidrich Theodore Vischer died.

      Monday, September 15th. Moon Aries. Nicodemus (who in John's Gospel was made a  leader).

      Tuesday, September 16th. Moon Aries. 1736 The Natural Scientist Farenheit died.

      Wednesday, September 17th. Moon Taurus.  Justinus.

      Thursday, September 18th. Moon Taurus. Titus (School of Paul).

      Friday, September 19th. Moon Gemini. Eustachius.

      Saturday, September 20th. Moon Gemini.  Castor.

         JUPITER is the bright white 'star' rising in the southeast at sunset and dominating the southern night sky. It has been the only 'evening star' but Venus is now becoming visible each night just above the setting sun.