Soul-Calendar, Week 23 after Easter: Summer begins to become Autumn

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2008

      Dr. Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, consisting of 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us as well as in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter Sunday. We experience this unconsciously all through the year, but these meditative verses enable us to become conscious of it.

      The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation LEO from August 4th to Sept. 7th in our era.
      A version of a new symbolic image of the LION (from the original Soul-Calendar, done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications) , is attached to this e-mail.

       *  M A N T R A  # 2 3  *

      Es dämpfet herbstlich sich

      Der Sinne Reizesstreben;

      In Lichtesoffenbarung mischen

      Der Nebel dumpfe Schleier sich.

      Ich selber schau in Raumesweiten

      Des Herbstes Winterschlaf.

      Der Sommer hat an mich

      Sich selber hingegeben.

      There is muffled Autumnally

      The Senses' streaming Charms;

      In Light-Revealings is mingled

      The Fog's musty Veil.

      I myself see in Space-Widenesses

      The Autumn's Winter-Sleep.

      The Summer has to me

      Its own self given over.

      Some interpretation of this week's mantra:

          Last week, that which was received spiritually from the Summer Light and Warmth was felt as an ongoing power within releasing the fruit of its working, to evolve a Self out of the World-Self. This is because, at the time of change from Summer to Winter, we cease to be conscious of the external world and instead become conscious again of ourselves, as if awakening from a summer dream-state. Our Nature-Consciousness strives to become inner Self Consciousness, but at first we may feel fear due to no longer being able to lean on outer things for consciousness, which is why the symbol of the warrior archangel is placed before us at Michaelmas, summoning us to have courage, for we are not going to die as our summer nature-consciousness wanes, but rather wake up.

        This week's verse is the first appearance of Autumn dulling the senses' summer brilliance; but that which has been gained from the summer-experience now becomes our inner self-experience. We begin to wake up out of our summer waking-dream state.

      THE DAYS OF THE WEEK:

      Sunday, August 24th. Moon Gemini. Barnabas, the companion of Paul.

                   Bartholomew, the Christian Apostle to India.

      Monday, August 25th. Moon Cancer. Ludwig IX of France, the Crusader.

                                         1900 Nietzche died.

                                         1844 Herder born.

      Tuesday, August 26th. Moon Cancer. Samuel the Isarelite Priest.

      Wednesday August 27th. Moon Leo. 1770 Hegel born.

      Thursday, August 28th. Moon Leo. Augustine, the famous Church leader died 430. 1749 Goethe born.

      Friday, August 29th. Moon Leo. Beheading of John the Baptist.

      Saturday, August 30th. Moon Virgo. New Moon. 1856 John Ross, the discoverer of the

                                               magnetic North Pole died.

      PLANETS IN THE NIGHT SKY:

         JUPITER is the bright white 'star' rising in the southeast at sunset and dominating the southern night sky. It is currently the only 'evening star' but Venus will soon join it.

      Talk to your Yahoo! Friends via Windows Live Messenger. Find Out How