Re: Manly P. Hall: Hierophant of Hollywood

  • Robert Mason
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 19, 2008
      To Tom, who wrote:

      >>I encourage anyone who comes to Los Angeles
      to visit the PRS complex . . . . the
      subterranean secret vault below the library
      where you will see the copper canisters brought
      by Sir Francis Bacon and Sir Walter Raleigh to
      Virginia in 1601 which contain evidence about
      the future founding of the USA i.e. Bacon's
      "New Atlantis," and the proof that Bacon is the
      true author of the works of Shakespeare . . .
      .<<

      Robert writes:

      This raises a question of local interest in my
      neighborhood. Some years back (1990, I think)
      some psychic/New-Agey people from New Mexico
      came to Williamsburg, Va. and wanted to dig up
      the graveyard at Bruton Parish Church, claiming
      that Bacon's secret vault was down there
      somewhere. Mrs. Hall showed up too and joined
      in. (I recall seeing her speak about this.
      She was old and frail, and she got so excited
      that one of her younger companions had to
      restrain her.)

      Anyway, the authorities and congregation of
      that Church took a dim view of all this. Some
      of the group made a demonstration dig in the
      graveyard; the police got involved (arrests or
      the threats thereof; I don't remember). In the
      end, archeologists from Colonial Williamsburg
      dug in the graveyard and found no vault. The
      New Agers faded away from the scene.

      So, are these canisters in LA the ones that
      were supposed to be in Williamsburg? Where did
      the PRS get them? Did Bacon and Raleigh beat
      out the Jamestown settlers, or did you get the
      date wrong?

      Robert in Virginia
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 20, 2008
        ******* Welcome to the list, Tom. Why don't you introduce yourself to our members?

            Manly Hall was a good writer and commentator on great occultists' works. He never claimed to be anything more than a 'philosopher' himself, meaning he didn't succeed at developing his own direct cliarvoyant knowledge, and so is not in the same class as Steiner, but frequently he wrote worthwhile commentaries on occult truths for beginners.

           But one thing, what evidence do you have that he didn't die of natural causes, at age 89? I heard no such rumor at the time.

        To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
        From: tmasthenes13@...
        Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 19:25:47 +0000
        Subject: [steiner] Re: Manly P. Hall: Hierophant of Hollywood

        --- In steiner@yahoogroups .com, Durward Starman <DrStarman@. ..> wrote:

        > *******Manly Hall was a prolific writer who published dozens of
        works, as well as sponsoring the reprinting of many rare and
        out-of-print treatises through his organization, the Philosophical
        Research Society. As I said, this was posted on another group, so I
        don't know what work it's from. I'll try to find out. The PRS is
        online, by the way, here: http://www.prs. org/
        >=========== ========= ========= =======

        Dear Starman:

        I'm friends with Obadiah Harris, the President of PRS and the man who
        was chosen to lead PRS after Manly died, under still suspicious
        circumstances, possibly murder, in 1990. In the spring of 2004,
        Obadiah asked me if I would give a class at PRS on Steiner and
        anthroposophy and so I put together a weekly course that met for ten
        weeks.

        I taught in the "upper room" at the center and the big ornate stuffed
        chair that held Manly even when he reached 300 pounds was still there
        front and center like a throne intact. The room was dominated by a
        large portrait of Madame Blavatsky which faced the class to their
        right front, and so I felt obligated to acknowledge the presence of
        Helena Petrovna and work her somehow into my presentation each week.

        Manly's widow, Marie Bauer Hall, whom I was grateful to meet the year
        before she died at age 99, firmly believed that Manly himself was the
        reincarnation of Madame Blavatsky. Be that as it may for her wild and
        crazy reputation with things occult and esoteric, nonetheless, it did
        at least reflect Manly's deep devotion to HPB and the debt to her that
        he felt in his own esoteric development.

        Of course PRS is not what it used to be since Manly died, but it's
        really changed even since I gave my class. Right now there are no more
        classes and even the famed 11 o'clock Sunday morning main lectures
        have been cancelled. What is rising out of the ashes though, is the
        distance-learning program that Obadiah set up, called the UPR
        (University of Philosophical Research) where you can get masters
        degrees in Consciousness Studies and Transpersonal Psychology by
        listening to cassette tapes, but of course, now being able to meet
        with faculty over the Internet and telephone as well. UPR just
        received its national accreditation this year. Check out their website
        for the programs http://www.uprs. edu/

        I'd like to mention a few of the memorable teachers I befriended there
        --- people who might be of interest to your subscribers because of
        their Steiner connections:

        --- Pierre Grimes, a philosopher literally from the old Greek school,
        who, with his wife, founded the Waldorf School of Orange County. Check
        out his website here and tell me he doesn't look like Plato, Aristotle
        or any other Greek philosopher of that period. I also remember seeing
        Pierre and his family at the "world eurythmy tour" a few years back.
        http://www.openingm ind.com/

        --- Stephan Hoeller, the Jungian scholar and Gnostic Archbishop of Los
        Angeles with whom I shared many a playful moment of bantering about
        Steiner and anthroposophy. (He used to sing "Rudolf the Red-Nosed
        Steiner" whenever he saw me.) Here is the Stephan's introduction to
        the Gnostic Church: http://www.gnosis. org/ecclesia/ ecclesia. htm
        Here his Gnostic Society lectures; http://gnosis. org/gnostsoc/ gnostsoc. htm
        While there, be sure to click on the great cover story about Stephan
        in the LA Weekly entitled: "Exile in Godville: Profile of a Postmodern
        Heretic"

        --- Jeffrey Mishlove, the eminent parapsychologist, who was
        instrumental in allowing several Steiner internet groups to form on
        his Intuition Network back in 1997 long before most of them would
        switch over to Yahoo. His Intuition Network is still around:
        http://www.intuitio n.org/ Jeffrey feels as much affinity with
        William James as Manly felt with HPB. Here then is
        http://www.williamj ames.com/
        And Jeffrey's main site: http://www.mishlove .com/index2. htm

        Finally, there is a biography of Manly Hall that was just published.
        In fact, the book release party took place at PRS this past Summer
        Solstice, June 21. The author is Louis Sahagun, a reporter for the LA
        Times, who never knew Manly existed until he was assigned by the City
        Editor to write Manly's obituary back in 1990. That task inspired
        Louis' great interest in Manly and he spent the next 15 years working
        on and off at the biography. Louis' original title was *Hollywood
        Plato: The Life and Times of Manly Palmer Hall*, but now the title is

        *Master of the Mysteries: The Life of Manly Palmer Hall*
        by Louis Sahagun
        Here is a link to the book with the blurb copied below
        http://www.wingtv. net/mastermyster ies.html

        ------------ --------- --------- --------- -----
        In 1919, a Canadian teenager with a sixth-grade education arrived by
        train to the wilds of Los Angeles. Within a decade he had transformed
        himself into a world-renowned luminary and occult scholar. His name
        was Manly Palmer Hall, author of the landmark encyclopedia _The Secret
        Teachings of All Ages_ and the 20th century's most prolific writer and
        speaker on ancient philosophies, mysticism, and magic.

        Hall revealed to thousands how universal wisdom could be found in the
        myths and symbols of the ancient Western mystery teachings. He amassed
        the largest occult library west of the Mississippi and founded The
        Philosophical Research Society in 1934 for the purpose of providing
        seekers rare access to the world's wisdom literature. He became a
        confidante and friend to celebrities and politicians. In 1990, he
        died—some say he was killed—in what remains an open-ended Hollywood
        murder mystery.

        This dramatic story of Hall's life and death provides a panorama of
        twentieth century mysticism and an insider's view into a subculture
        that continues to have a profound influence on movies, television,
        music, books, art, and thought.
        Author Louis Sahagun is a staff writer at the Los Angeles Times. He
        contributed to a Times series on Latinos in Southern California that
        won a Pulitzer Prize. His work ranges from religion and the
        environment to crime and politics. He lives with his wife and daughter
        in California.
        ============ ========= ========= ========= =========

        Here is a very thorough article from the LA Times about Manly Hall,
        published when the biography was launched last June 21.
        http://www.latimes. com/features/ books/la- et-hall21- 2008jun21, 0,5026720. story

        ============ ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ==

        I encourage anyone who comes to Los Angeles to visit the PRS complex,
        mainly to experience the vast library there, a veritable treasure
        trove of thousands of occult and esoteric books that Manly collected
        from all over the world. Just ask for Dr. Obadiah Harris, tell him
        Tom sent you, and then Obadiah will lead you down to the subterranean
        secret vault below the library where you will see the copper canisters
        brought by Sir Francis Bacon and Sir Walter Raleigh to Virginia in
        1601 which contain evidence about the future founding of the USA i.e.
        Bacon's "New Atlantis," and the proof that Bacon is the true author of
        the works of Shakespeare ---- well, not exactly ;=) ---- but Obadiah
        is truly a gracious host and values the work of Rudolf Steiner highly,
        so he would warmly welcome any visitors to PRS from the Steiner stream.

        Tom Mellett
        Van Nuys, CA
        Recent Activity
        •  1

        .

        Get thousands of games on your PC, your mobile phone, and the web with Windows®. Game with Windows