Re: think piece: Is the Internet good or bad for the Consciousness Soul?

  • Robert Mason
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 17, 2008
      [Robert had written:
      "The thrust of my question wasn't about my own
      experience of the Consciousness Soul, though
      this is a related question. I was mostly,
      vaguely, groping toward a question about the
      Consciousness Soul in contemporary world
      evolution..."]

      To Starman, who wrote:

      >>Well, see, I'm afraid I must decline to
      discuss spirit-science things on that basis,
      because, as I see it, that's not having a
      spiritual-scientific discussion at all. The
      German anthroposophists are sick of "Herr Dr.
      Steiner hatt gesage" ("Dr. Steiner said...")
      and I think justifiably so, but that's all you
      have if you aren't working towards direct
      knowledge yourself.

      Robert writes:

      But I am working toward direct knowledge. You
      asked me about my experience, and so I told you
      about it, briefly. And I briefly outlined my
      understanding of the Consciousness Soul in
      society, relating Steiner's concepts to the
      generally known facts. The Steiner-saids are
      not all that I have, but surely Steiner's words
      must be taken into account: *Consciousness
      Soul* is his concept, after all.

      Starman wrote:

      >>But we all HAVE direct experience of the
      soul, so why should we start speculating
      without coming to understand what we're talking
      about first? What good would discussing the
      'effects of something on colors' be if you
      couldn't see colors?

      Robert writes:

      But I wasn't just "speculating"; I did *start*
      to show the "colors", both in my experience and
      in a wider context.

      Starman wrote:

      >>To work with spirit-science, we have to take
      steps towards having direct experience
      ourselves. Not everyone can directly experience
      it all, but the first chapter of Theosophy is
      all you need to work with to experience the
      three parts of your soul directly. Then, the
      early lecture-cycles "Paths of Experience" and
      "Metamorphoses of the Soul", which were called
      "Cycle A" by the early anthroposophists because
      they're so fundamental after the written works,
      are excellent at leading you to recognize the
      three souls in your breathing experience and
      life experiences. We could read them together
      online here.

      >>If the discussion is, "Is the internet good
      or bad for people?", or "good or bad for the
      mind?", fine. But if you want to use the
      "consciousness soul", well, I think everyone
      would agree that people would first have to
      know what it IS to have any intelligent
      discussion of it, surely.<<

      Robert writes:

      I have to say that this response is puzzling
      and frustrating for me. First, you rejected my
      original post because it allegedly had "nothing
      whatever to do with anthropsophy". Then, you
      "decline to discuss" because, you imply, I
      brought too much Steiner-said, but then you
      want for us to study more Steiner-said. But I
      already brought in the core definition from one
      of the texts you recommend, but still you scold
      me. This is confusing, to put it mildly.

      But, if you want to study more texts, then you
      could show us what Steiner-saids you mean and
      how they relate to the original question. I've
      outlined my approach, but you haven't really
      shown us yours. I feel that the next move is
      still up to you. You could go into those texts
      and show us what you think they tell us about
      the Consciousness Soul, and then maybe your
      ideas about how the Internet affects it.

      Starman wrote:

      >>See, that's an example of "Dr. Steiner said".
      It's misleading because the German word he used
      was translated as "instincts". He knew that
      human beings have no instincts. An instinct by
      scientific definition is a COMPLEX behavior
      opattern that is UNLEARNED, and naturally
      occurs in ALL normal members of a species---
      like the web-pattern of a spider or the salmon
      swimming back upstream to spawn. By that
      definition, we human beings have no instincts.
      We have URGES, but our behavior to satisfy them
      is all LEARNED. I'm sure he meant "urge",
      subconscious urges.<<

      Robert writes:

      In my dictionary (Webster's 7th collegiate) the
      first definition of *instinct* is:

      "a natural aptitude, impulse, or capacity"

      . . . then the second one (a) is more like the
      scientific usage you indicated, but (b) is:

      "behavior that is mediated by reactions below
      the conscious level".

      No, I don't agree that's too much Steiner-said,
      and I think that the translator's choice of
      *instinct* was well within the standard usage.
      You might well explicate by pointing out that
      RS was not speaking strictly in the scientific
      sense that you described, but I see no good in
      getting "anal-retentive" about it, and
      especially not when the dictionary backs up
      the translator. And BTW, *learned behavior*
      is a tricky, dangerous concept in the
      scientific context; if you're not careful
      about it, that concept could pull you into
      the deterministic suppositions of materialism.

      And still the question remains: how does the
      Internet (and technology in general) affect
      this instinctive, "outer" Consciousness Soul?

      Starman wrote:

      >>This is good for a start but I'm sure anyone
      reading this discussion who's a beginner at
      anthroposophy would probably have a lot more
      questions to ask before feeling like they know
      what's meant by "consciousness soul" now. It
      would probably be better to start a few pages
      back in Theosophy, with what's the soul
      compared to the body and then the 3 parts of
      the soul. And this is so fundamental to
      anthroposophy.<<

      Robert writes:

      OK, let 'em ask. And if you want to answer
      with more Steiner-saids, that's OK too. But it
      seems a little inconsistent, at the least, for
      you to scold me when I bring in Steiner-saids
      (and considering that the banner for this
      e-list reads: "For discussion of the works of
      Rudolf Steiner").

      And it is especially baffling since I already
      brought in Steiner's core definition of
      *Consciousness Soul* and briefly discussed my
      experience in relation to it. You seem to
      think that my discussion was somehow
      inadequate, but you don't say exactly how and
      why. -- My reaction is: if you think it would
      be better to start a few pages back, then show
      us your "better"; don't just criticize and
      leave us guessing.

      Starman wrote:

      >>Sure, and I think that grounds the
      conversation a bit. But they say you have ADD?
      How on earth could you write such a long e-
      mail? I've known people with ADD, they can't
      write something like this---sometimes, can't
      even read a book at all. Doesn't seem that bad
      in your case.<<

      Robert writes:

      You don't know how long and how much effort it
      takes me to write a post like that (or this
      one). And I surely have had trouble reading
      books. Didn't finish many reading assignments
      in high school, but I could still slide by.
      But I couldn't slide by that way when I got to
      the university. I might find myself having
      scanned and turned 50 or 100 pages without my
      conscious mind being involved at all; it was
      somewhere else; didn't remember anything that I
      had just "read". As you might imagine, I
      didn't last long at the U.

      And there is no "they". I use the term *ADD*
      because it seems to pretty much fit my life-
      story, according to the book *Scattered Minds*
      by Gabor Mate. Also I fit many or most of the
      criteria for ADD listed in that book. -- But
      I’m 60 years old now, with all that learning-
      experience, and much meditation behind me --
      attempted, at least.

      And you don't know how many projects I'm
      leaving on the back burner because I got
      interested in Hoffman's ideas. A trail of
      unfinished projects behind in one's life-path
      -- that's another symptom of ADD.

      Starman wrote:

      >>But the subject wasn't supposed to be the
      effect of the internet on consciousness, but
      specifically on the "consciousness soul." Big
      difference.<<

      Robert writes:

      Again, this is perplexing to me; seems like a
      nit-picky evasion. The Consciousness Soul is
      surely a "subset" of consciousness, and it
      would seem that something that affects
      consciousness in general, in the age of the
      Consciousness Soul, must therefore affect the
      Consciousness Soul, at least in a general way
      in the wider culture. And maybe even in an
      individual way for those who are working on the
      inner aspects of their own Consciousness Souls.

      -- Overall: *Consciousness Soul* is Steiner's
      concept; he coined it. I don't see how we
      could understand the term without going into
      some Steiner-saids, at least for starters. And
      Steiner did use that concept to shed light on
      facts of history that are generally known. One
      need not rely on the Steiner-saids in a
      dogmatic way; one can take the generally known
      facts of history and see how they are explained
      in an enlightening way by Steiner's concepts.
      And likewise, one need not be dogmatic about
      the Steiner-saids concerning the inner aspects
      of the soul.

      Strangely, it seems that you do something that
      your *bête noire* Joel Wendt does: trying to
      put down other people when they bring in a
      Steiner quote, when all the while you are
      bringing in plenty of Steiner-saids of your own
      when they suit your purpose. Could some Wendt
      have rubbed off on you, or do you react against
      him so strongly because he personifies
      something negative within you?

      And I did read over your post to Mathew about
      the Consciousness Soul. Obviously, you did
      rely heavily on Steiner-saids, as well you
      should when discussing Steiner's concepts (and
      given Steiner's enlightening use of those
      concepts to explain human-cultural facts), but
      only implicitly, not explicitly. There was not
      one proper quotation in your whole post. Now,
      I don't mean to get "all anal" and nit-picky,
      but this does raise questions of substance:
      where does Steiner end and Starman begin, and
      where Starman end and Steiner begin? You did
      say some things that seem to me to be very un-
      Steinerian; for instance:

      >>When you start becoming aware of the spirit,
      you no longer experience yourself just as a
      separate ego in a world of objects. Instead,
      the separateness vanishes . . . .<<

      >>Another way you could say it is that with
      only the intellectual soul you can be a
      scientist, but when you start developing the
      consciousness soul you have to start becoming a
      spiritual scientist.<<

      I don't know how those statements could be
      consistent with Steiner's concept, but if you
      think that they are, you could quote the
      relevant Steiner-saids and try to show the
      relation to your formulations. As it is, I
      can't tell whether you conceive such statements
      to be in agreement with Steiner, or whether you
      are deliberately opposing Steiner. If you are
      deliberately opposing Steiner's ideas, it might
      help if you would say so explicitly and tell us
      why.

      Robert Mason
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 17, 2008
        __*******,Well, this is a pretty good example of what's wrong with so-called 'anthroposophical' discussion on the other lists, and why I don't waste any time there. When I have the time to correct all the errors here and explain the many things that require it, I may do so, but I don't think others on the list would be helped by it to understand our subject better, or be very interested in it.
           Abstract thinking and regarding spirit-science as words in books is of very limited use in grasping even the most elementary things in it. It has to be grasped out of your life. Such direct experience is always possible if we don't bar our path to it.

           For instance, saying "consciousness soul" is "Steiner's concept" is like saying the Pythagorean theorem belonged only to Pythagoras and you'd have to quote him to understand it. This is false.

          We all experience the soul directly and need only correctly interpret our experience of it, as I've tried to indicate repeatedly.

          More some other time.

        -starman

        www.DrStarman.com

        To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
        From: robertsmason_99@...
        Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 12:15:27 -0700
        Subject: [steiner] Re: think piece: Is the Internet good or bad for the Consciousness Soul?

        Robert writes:

> [...]

        Steinerian; for instance:

        >>When you start becoming aware of the spirit,
        you no longer experience yourself just as a
        separate ego in a world of objects. Instead,
        the separateness vanishes . . . .<<

        >>Another way you could say it is that with
        only the intellectual soul you can be a
        scientist, but when you start developing the
        consciousness soul you have to start becoming a
        spiritual scientist.<<

        I don't know how those statements could be
        consistent with Steiner's concept, but if you
        think that they are, you could quote the
        relevant Steiner-saids and try to show the
        relation to your formulations. As it is, I
        can't tell whether you conceive such statements
        to be in agreement with Steiner, or whether you
        are deliberately opposing Steiner. If you are
        deliberately opposing Steiner's ideas, it might
        help if you would say so explicitly and tell us

        Recommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

        ommended books by Rudolf Steiner at:

        New business?
        Get new customers.
        List your web site
        in Yahoo! Search.
        All-Bran
        Day 10 Club
        on Yahoo! Groups
        Feel better with fiber.
        Check out the
        Y! Groups blog
        Stay up to speed
        on all things Groups!
        .

        Get ideas on sharing photos from people like you. Find new ways to share. Get Ideas Here!
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 17, 2008

          One of the elements that drew me to Anthroposophy is that it is 100% extroverted.  That is to say, the purpose of Anthroposophy isn't to create more abstraction in the world—i.e. to philosophize—but to apply spiritual principles externally to the physical world.

          Anthroposophy heals the earth of its afflictions, not through philosophy and abstraction, but through real applications of spiritual science.

          True expressions of Anthroposophy would be biodynamic agriculture, Anthroposophical medicine, Eurythmy, Woldorf education, Creative Speech (Chekhov Method), Social Finance, Goethean Science, etc.

          The abstract ground of Anthroposophy lies within the sphere of Theosophy, I believe—although I'm no expert in these matters.

          I would consider Theosophy, from what I've read, to be 100% introverted; it contains no practical, worldly aim.  Rather, its purpose is to provide a pure stream of Western esoteric knowledge, from which Anthroposophy draws upon in its manifold applications.

          The two branches are deeply related.

> [...]
          > Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required) Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to Traditional Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe
          >
          > Recent Activity
          >

          > 1
          > New MembersVisit Your Group
          >

          > New business?
          > Get new customers.
          > List your web site
          > in Yahoo! Search.
          >
          > All-Bran
          > Day 10 Club
          > on Yahoo! Groups
          > Feel better with fiber.
          >
          > Check out the
          > Y! Groups blog
          > Stay up to speed
          > on all things Groups!
          > .

          > Get ideas on sharing photos from people like you. Find new ways to share.

        • happypick
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 18, 2008
            To Robert re:

            I can't find my copies of Stegmann's work, Robert, so they're probably loaned out and this point ,ight have to wait a bit. The thoughts you expressed so well seem to me, perhaps erroneously, to be more in tune with Prokofieff, but I'll hold this in abeyance until I can receive some clarification.

            Regarding my very brief statement of the Consciousness Soul, it is exactly that: brief. My sense of the Consciousness Soul is that it goes very far past any sense of empathy et al and on into a higher realm of unconsciousness of one's entire self  while "in spirit," so to say, with another soul or other souls - it is as though one was out of one's bodies and totally "at one" with another's all encompassing inner world all the while with total unconsciousness of any sense of "self."

            Sheila

            Robert Mason wrote:

            To Sheila, who wrote:

            >>Robert, I don't think I recall "The Other
            America" as having the selected subject noted
            below, but perhaps I've simply overlooked it.<<

            Robert writes:

            I'm not sure that Stegmann used the term
            *Ahrimanized Consciousness Soul*; I don't have
            the text to check it. I looked in my notes,
            and he does discuss (in Part One, chapter 5)
            how, when cold thinking meets hot will without
            the mediation of the heart-Ego, the clash
            brings about a kind of war-of-all-against- all.
            I also seem to recall that he relates this idea
            to how, on the North American continent, the
            clash of cold, Arctic air (coming down directly
            without interruption from mountains) against
            hot, humid air from the Gulf causes violent
            storms and tornadoes.

            I'm pretty sure that I have read that term
            somewhere. Maybe it's Prokofieff's coinage and
            not Steiner's?

            Sheila wrote:

            >> . . . . It seems to me when/if one is able
            to reach that point in evolution from which one
            is able to feel in ALL aspects exactly and
            completely what another soul feels, one is
            experiencing the Consciousness Soul.<<

            Robert writes:

            To my understanding, the tendency of the
            Consciousness Soul is just in the opposite
            direction: As one realizes one's own,
            independent individuality, one is (at first)
            more isolated within oneself, more cut off from
            "other souls". For instance, in "Social and
            Anti-Social Forces in the Human Being (12th
            December, 1918; Bern; GA 186) Steiner says:

            "Well, we live in the age of the Spiritual or
            Consciousness Soul in which man must become
            independent. But on what does this depend? It
            depends on people's ability during our Fifth
            Post-Atlantean Period to become self-assertive,
            to not allow themselves to be put to sleep. It
            is the anti-social forces which require
            development in this time, for consciousness to
            be present. It would not be possible for
            mankind in the present to accomplish its task
            if just these anti-social forces did not become
            ever more powerful; they are indeed the pillars
            on which personal independence rests. At
            present, humanity has no idea how much more
            powerful anti-social impulses must become,
            right on until the 30th century. For men to
            progress properly, anti-social forces must
            develop."

            As I understand the matter, the ability to feel
            in empathy with other souls is more
            characteristic of the Spirit Self, which can be
            developed in a healthy way only *after* the
            independent individuality is realized in the
            Consciousness Soul. Thus, the instinctive
            social sense of the East Slavs is a
            foreshadowing of the future role they will play
            in the coming cultural epoch of the Spirit
            Self.

            Robert M

          • Robert Mason
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 23, 2008
              To Starman:

              I read your series about the Consciousness
              Soul. Where you were following RS closely, it
              did help to clarify. I'm glad that we're
              agreed at least that "quoting Steiner is of
              some value".

              You're using a different translation of *OS*
              from the one I have. I have the 1972 Monges
              edition; it seems to follow the German more
              closely. For instance, I doubt that RS uses
              (in the German) *Spiritual Soul* in *OS*. --
              But overall, in that discussion I don't see
              much that I would argue with. I would add just
              a few notes for more clarity, hopefully.

              Starman wrote:

              >>And only what we perceived around us now
              would exist, we wouldn't be able to know
              anything else. This is how animals are.<<

              Robert writes:

              Animals differ in their stages of consciousness,
              as would be suggested by their vast variations
              in appearance and behavior. The soul-life of a
              vertebrate is different from that of an oyster,
              likewise that of the warm-blooded animals is
              different from that of the cold-blooded. The
              apes almost have an ego-consciousness; RS said
              that when apes die their incipient ego is born
              as a salamander. -- The souls of different
              animals are not the all the same. See Wolfgang
              Schad's *Man and Mammals* for many details.

              Starman quotes RS:

              >>. . . . we designate as “soul” what give the
              knowledge performance, duration.<<

              Robert writes:

              This looks like a typo; *performance* should be
              *permanence*?

              Starman wrote:

              >>There are some so-called 'retarded' people
              who have almost only the sentient soul, but for
              most of us it is always intertwined with the
              higher levels.<<

              Robert writes:

              I'd say that such "intertwining" should be
              emphasized more, otherwise it might appear as
              though the "parts" of body, soul, and spirit
              were, as it were, just layered on top of one
              another. But as RS said, they do
              interpenetrate, and they are in constant flux.
              For instance, as ordinary experience shows,
              sensation (Sentient Soul), subjective thinking
              (Intellectual Soul), and objective thinking
              (Consciousness Soul) are usually jumbled
              together in different ways from moment to
              moment, and it takes some effort to distinguish
              them. And as RS says in *Theosophy*, all
              thinking must have at least a spark of
              intuition (Spirit Self) in it. More, depending
              on how you look at him, man could be seen to
              consist of three "parts", or four, or seven, or
              seven again in a different way, or nine, or
              even ten. And, again, as RS said, we need
              mobile concepts to grasp Anthroposophy.

              Starman wrote:

              >>. . . . when you are looking only outwards,
              you're using the sentient soul; when you
              reflect on your experience and make an inner
              world out of the outer, that's the intellectual
              or mind soul. That's why I said a person can
              be a scientist using only those two.<<

              (. . . and earlier, elsewhere:)

              >>Another way you could say it is that with
              only the intellectual soul you can be a
              scientist, but when you start developing the
              consciousness soul you have to start becoming a
              spiritual scientist.<<

              Robert writes:

              But, going back to *Theosophy*, we can see that
              what RS calls the *Intellectual Soul* is that
              aspect of our thinking that "counts as true
              what [we] prefer… in [our] feelings and
              desires". The Consciousness Soul is that which
              grasps that "the truth is true even if all
              personal feelings revolt against it".
              Elsewhere (GA 73; November 7, 1917) he makes
              clear that thinking in the Intellectual Soul is
              still dim and instinctive, while only in the
              Consciousness Soul does it become critical and
              objective:

              ". . . . the sentient soul, the most dull,
              living almost entirely in the subconscious; the
              intellectual soul which still develops without
              full consciousness, still having an instinctive
              nature; and finally the consciousness soul,
              which experiences the Ego in full
              consciousness, which emancipates the Ego from
              the life of the body, where intelligence no
              longer appears instinctively but, emancipated,
              confronts things critically."

              But any "science" worthy of the name must at
              least attempt to follow objective thinking and
              the objective facts, regardless of personal
              preferences. (Scientists might not always live
              up to that ideal, but it is the ideal which
              must be at least partially realized for us to
              have any "science" as we have it today.) And
              so it was only with the arrival of the epoch of
              the Consciousness Soul that modern science
              emerged in mass culture. The epoch of the
              Intellectual Soul surely had very little
              "science" as we have it today.

              At a stretch, I suppose, one might say that the
              start of Consciousness Soul development is the
              start of spiritual science; the Consciousness
              Soul is indeed a necessary precursor. But one
              could just as well "stretch" more and say the
              same of the Intellectual or the Sentient Soul.
              But just living in the Consciousness Soul does
              not make one a "spiritual scientist" in
              Steiner's sense. For that, one must be a true
              Initiate. Sometimes RS used the term
              *initiation science* as a synonym for
              *spiritual science* or *Anthroposophy*.

              Starman wrote:

              >>You could say that a person using the first
              two levels of the soul does not really know
              himself OR his world. He is only preparing to
              get to truly know them. This is where most
              clever adults are today.<<

              Robert writes:

              Most? -- I don't know; this kinda brings us
              back to my original question. We are living in
              the epoch of the Consciousness Soul, and that
              is manifesting most obviously (here in the USA)
              in modern science and technology, and in
              "democratic" political life. Again, these seem
              to be manifestations of the "onlooker
              consciousness" and the "instinctive
              Consciousness Soul". But, as I broached the
              question in my first post, we might even be
              falling backward insome ways, especially in
              the past century or so.

              It's really hard to make a quantitative
              estimate; a lot would depend on what you mean
              by *clever*. I'd guess that many, perhaps
              most, cultured adults in modern, Western
              society (and where Western, techno-scientific
              culture is spreading) have *some* appreciation
              of the objectivity of facts and reason -- and
              are thus at least on the cusp of the "inner
              aspects" of the Consciousness Soul, as RS was
              outlining in your quotations. But perhaps only
              on the cusp; people easily fall back into the
              habit of subordinating their thinking to their
              desires. And, given all the mass attacks
              against the free human individuality, it seems
              that many or most people are as though
              hypnotized (most of the time) by mass
              manipulation. -- And so, back to my original
              question.

              Starman wrote:

              >>It is clearly not easy to describe the
              consciousness soul in a few words! . . . . It's
              been called Cosmic Consciousness, or
              Enlightenment, or many other names.<<

              Robert writes:

              I'd caution about invoking these other terms;
              they're too exalted and, worse, nebulous. If
              you're trying to bring clarity, better not to
              suggest images of the Buddha sitting under the
              Bodhi tree, and the like. Such images refer to
              something far more advanced than the
              Consciousness Soul.

              -- So much for the substantive discussion of
              the Consciousness Soul; now, for more of the
              hairsplitting aspects of the discussion:

              Starman wrote:

              >>For instance, saying "consciousness soul" is
              "Steiner's concept" is like saying the
              Pythagorean theorem belonged only to Pythagoras
              and you'd have to quote him to understand it.
              This is false.<<

              And:

              >>People "coin" words for a concept, not the
              concept itself. The parts of the soul are found
              in old Greek, Hebrew, in Plato and Arstotle,
              etc. Steiner coined a term for what he
              experienced, as the Greeks named a reality
              "pi".<<

              Robert writes:

              Here again is what I said:
              " - Overall: *Consciousness Soul* is Steiner's
              concept; he coined it. I don't see how we
              could understand the term without going into
              some Steiner-saids, at least for starters. And
              Steiner did use that concept to shed light on
              facts of history that are generally known. One
              need not rely on the Steiner-saids in a
              dogmatic way; one can take the generally known
              facts of history and see how they are explained
              in an enlightening way by Steiner's concepts.
              And likewise, one need not be dogmatic about
              the Steiner-saids concerning the inner aspects
              of the soul."

              We seem to agree that RS coined the term, but
              not the concept. Just considering the use of
              the term: It still is not a commonly
              understood term; as you said elsewhere, it is a
              technical term, at least for the general
              public, even though in our Anthro environment
              it is much more generally understood (let us
              hope). But even here it is not perfectly
              understood; I'm not sure that I understand it
              completely. So I'm willing to enter into this
              discussion.

              But if we were to try to explain the concept of
              *consciousness soul* while using Steiner's
              terminology, without explaining Steiner's usage
              and sticking closely to it *at least for
              starters*, we would thus cause confusion. If
              you want an analogy, this would be like using
              the word *cow* to mean *horse* without warning
              your listeners. But worse, since
              *consciousness soul* is a relatively technical
              term, it would be more like speaking to non-
              mathematicians while using the term *tensor* to
              mean *group* without warning and without
              explaining either term or concept.

              But in order to understand Steiner's usage, we
              must understand his concept; they are
              practically the same thing. (Wittgenstein
              equated use and meaning, but he wasn't an
              ontological Platonist. Granting the real
              existence of the concept, I would say that the
              concept governs the usage.) And only then, IF
              it seems that Steiner's concept is inadequate
              to the reality, we might try to refine his
              concept, as long as our revision is kept
              transparent for everyone. But then, as a
              practical matter, it would probably be better
              to change also the terminology, to eliminate a
              likely source of confusion.

              About the Pythagorean analogy: Even assuming
              that Pythagoras discovered the theorem, which
              is a dubious assumption, there are differences.
              *Pythagorean theorem* is a generally and
              precisely understood term; *Consciousness Soul*
              is neither. All the constituent geometric
              concepts and proofs are widely understood; in
              mathematical culture they were long ago
              detached from the person of Pythagoras. There
              is no similar general understanding of either
              the literal terminology or concept of
              *Consciousness Soul*. -- More, any fairly
              intelligent person, with minimal guidance, can
              come to understand the Pythagorean theorem and
              thus come to grasp directly the mathematical
              (spiritual) reality of it. But the referent
              (the object pointed to) of the term and concept
              *Consciousness Soul* is not likewise a truth of
              the mere relations of concepts. The actual
              Consciousness Soul has a "perceptual" side (in
              the sense of *PoF*) in a way that a merely
              mathematical-geometrical reality does not. One
              can understand the concept *Consciousness Soul*
              without perceiving Consciousness Souls in the
              way that Steiner did. One comes into full
              contact with the reality of the Pythagorean
              theorem through concepts only; the analogous
              contact with the Consciousness Soul requires
              both the concept and the percepts.

              -- And, as a point of fact, people can coin
              concepts. For instance, I could gather a
              knife, a comb, a candle, and a pillow into a
              pile in a cat-box and call them *blitfx-
              thingies*; I define *blitfx-thingie* as an
              object that I just put into the cat-box. I
              just created a concept and coined a term for
              it; see? It might not be a very useful concept
              in life; nevertheless it is an understandable
              concept.

              That illustrates the principle. More to the
              point in the present context: Other, older
              teachings may well have had their concepts for
              the "parts" of the soul, but are Steiner's
              related concepts exactly the same as those
              others? -- I don't know that; I'm not enough of
              a scholar to say for sure, but I doubt it. We
              know that RS in his early lecturing for the
              German Theosophical Society often used the
              Sanskrit terminology with which his listeners
              were familiar, but he eventually substituted
              his own terminology for the Sanskrit. I rather
              doubt that he did so just to be coining words;
              I suspect that he found the old Eastern
              concepts to be somewhat inadequate to the
              facts; thus he may have been introducing new
              terminology for his refined concepts. -- In any
              case, since most of us don't really know the
              old concepts of the soul, it seems to me that
              we should at least start the discussion with
              the concepts and the terminology (Steiner's)
              that are more immediately available to us, if
              we want clarity and not confusion.

              Starman wrote:

              is surely a 'subset' of consciousness, and it
              would seem that something that affects
              consciousness in general, in the age of the
              Consciousness Soul, must therefore affect the
              Consciousness Soul...")

              >>Now, this is no more being nit-picking nor
              evasive than if you walked into a lecture on
              the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle and began
              giving your opinion on it because of knowing
              the word "uncertainty" and were told you didn't
              know what we were talking about. The
              "consciousness soul" or "spiritual soul" is a
              technical term in spirit-science that refers to
              a definite reality which can be experienced by
              every individual human being. It has nothing to
              do with "consciousness" which is present in
              even the simplest forms of organic life which
              don't even have "soul"--- and encouraging
              anyone to launch into a discussion of the
              "consciouness soul" with whatever their
              opinions are about "consciousness" would be
              pretty counter-productive.<<

              Robert writes:

              Of course the concepts *consciousness* and
              *Consciousness Soul* are not exact equivalents;
              that's a given. But they are closely related.
              In this context just to point out this fine
              distinction and *stop there* seems like an
              evasion of my original question. But now, you
              even overstate this distinction: to use your
              analogy, saying that the Consciousness Soul
              "has nothing to do with" consciousness is like
              saying that the Uncertainty Principle has
              nothing to do with uncertainty. The
              Consciousness Soul is surely the form that
              human consciousness assumes at a certain stage
              of development; it is a component of the
              overall human consciousness (using
              *consciousness* in the broad sense in which a
              rock can be said to have a dull kind of
              "consciousness"). -- It's fair enough to try to
              clarify the term *Consciousness Soul*, but
              overstating distinctions doesn't bring clarity;
              it causes confusion.

              Starman wrote:

              >>So, "Goethean conversation" or discussion by
              anthroposophists rules out taking an attitude
              like 'Well, none of us can know this stuff but
              we can only quote and speculate'. . . .<<

              Robert writes:

              I didn't take that attitude; I neither said it
              nor implied it. You seem to be setting up a
              straw man to knock down.

              Starman wrote:

              >>Rudolf Steiner was not some sort of higher
              being who could know things we can't; every one
              of us has the same ability to know.<<

              Robert writes:

              In the abstract, we have the same ability as a
              potential, but we haven't all realized it as an
              actuality. This is rather obvious, isn't it?

              Starman wrote:

              >>Steiner wrote his books to be read by anyone,
              anywhere, while his lectures were given at a
              specific place to a specific group of people.
              . . . He didn't want his lectures written down
              at all . . . .<<

              Robert write:

              Again, this is a misleading overstatement. RS
              was reluctant about having his lectures written
              down, but he, if he really wanted to be
              insistent about it, could well have refused to
              speak with a stenographer present. And he was
              reluctant about having the transcripts
              published, but he eventually did agree, around
              the time he was reorganizing the AS. He did
              have deep reasons for reluctance about having
              his spoken words frozen into print and made
              generally available, but he did eventually
              agree that such was inevitable under the
              circumstances of modern culture.

              Starman wrote:

              >>That's why I use his written works here. . .
              . The lectures are also stenographic copies
              which can contain errors. So, anyone interested
              in spirit-science should return again and again
              to the books, and study them more than lecture-
              transcripts. . . .
              <<

              Robert writes:

              But you just proposed that we should study the
              lecture cycles *Paths of Experience* and
              *Metamorphoses of the Soul*, so you must
              recognize the value of the lectures. Yes, the
              basic books are basic, but we might assume that
              most of us in an Anthro e-group already have
              some familiarity with them. And if you want to
              return to the basics for emphasis and clarity,
              that's OK with me. And it's also OK to study
              the lectures, as long as we take into account
              the standard *caveats* that are usually
              published as a preface to them. But it does no
              good to so overstate the *caveats* that it
              might seem that we would be violating Steiner's
              will and betraying Anthroposophy merely by
              reading the lectures.

              Starman wrote:

              >>You asked for quotes so I included some, but
              I didn't need to at all. Everything I'm saying
              in this e-mail is things I know from experience
              as well. Can put it whichever way you prefer. I
              don't only have "Steiner-saids" like some
              people may. If a lot of the anthroposophists
              you've read or met have only Steiner-saids and
              have not made any progress in clairvoyance and
              direct knowledge, well, that's a pity but not
              unexpected. I've met only 3 other psychics in
              the movement.<<

              Robert writes:

              I'd prefer that the Steiner-saids and whatever
              goes beyond them be clearly identified and
              distinguished. And if you bring in your own
              putative insights which go beyond Steiner's,
              I'd prefer that you'd lay the necessary
              groundwork for yours, as RS did for his. That
              might be a lot of work, but it would be
              necessary if you want me to take you seriously
              as a spiritual researcher in your own right. I
              believe that mere clairvoyance and "psychism"
              do not make a spiritual scientist -- as STEINER
              SAID.

              Robert Mason
            • carol
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 23, 2008

                Robert: "I believe that mere clairvoyance and "psychism" do not make a spiritual scientist -- as STEINER SAID."

                It's funny to read all this,  knowing that both parties involved represent dinstinct, highly individualized conscious souls.

                Nothing wrong with that-  Recognizing one's own Ego consciously, as a simple, unihibited fact, appears to me as healthy as can be. Without this qualitative experience,  I find that people risk remaining   prey to personality afflictions such as overall nervousness, denial of reality (ex. of simple facts set before oneself) , childlish diversions and much worse, of course.

                I think within the activity of 'an anthroposophical' discussion, where 'self centered ambition' is recognized to be fully absent, there occurs a little more positive stuff than a mere exchange of abstract ideas and concepts.

                Socialization occurs, and if I recall a 'Steiner said' of my own, it would seem that once we regain our heavenly abode after this life, we will be surprised to discover to what extent the gathering up of our social interactions (that which comprises the great multitude of human encounters we lived),  plays into defining our individual 'life's substance'.

                I find this interesting.

                Carol.

                --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, Robert Mason <robertsmason_99@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > don't only have "Steiner-saids" like some
                > people may. If a lot of the anthroposophists
                > you've read or met have only Steiner-saids and
                > have not made any progress in clairvoyance and
                > direct knowledge, well, that's a pity but not
                > unexpected. I've met only 3 other psychics in
                > the movement.<<
                >
                > Robert writes:
                >
                > I'd prefer that the Steiner-saids and whatever
                > goes beyond them be clearly identified and
                > distinguished. And if you bring in your own
                > putative insights which go beyond Steiner's,
                > I'd prefer that you'd lay the necessary
                > groundwork for yours, as RS did for his. That
                > might be a lot of work, but it would be
                > necessary if you want me to take you seriously
                > as a spiritual researcher in your own right. I
                > believe that mere clairvoyance and "psychism"
                > do not make a spiritual scientist -- as STEINER

              • Robert Mason
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 24, 2008
                  --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "carol" <organicethics@...> wrote:

                  > I think within the activity of 'an anthroposophical' discussion, where
                  > 'self centered ambition' is recognized to be fully absent, there
                  occurs
                  > a little more positive stuff than a mere exchange of abstract ideas
                  and
                  > concepts.

                  Of course there is no personal ambition among
                  Anthros; we have all risen above that.

                  Are you in the market for a slightly used
                  suspension bridge?

                  Robert
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 24, 2008
                    *******Robert, I doubt any of this rather convoluted discussion is going to be of much interest to the list, or of any use to anyone trying to practice anthroposophy in a school, farm, etc. Nor, I think, is this latest post advancing at all the alleged discussion of what's good or bad for developing the consiousness soul one bit, as that seems to have dropped out of consideration completely and been repalced by an endless debate on what should be clear first to HAVE such a discussion, which I thought I'd supplied directly from Steiner's writings as requested.

                        I don't have much time to be drawn into unproductive by-ways. If we want to continue the discussion about the effect of things like the internet on our consciousness soul, which as I said could be a fruitful subject, please feel free to do so, but let's move forward, not backwards.

                    (referring to having only the astral body, not any soul levels:)

                    *******I taught zoology in a Waldorf High School and know that literature all very well, thank you. Has no bearing on what I wrote, that all perceive just the present moment.

                    ******I detailed this showing how the Ego, as a drop of the eternal Spirit, gradually unfolds in the 3 soul levels. But the consciousness soul is much more than objective thinking: it gives that but much more. They are not synonymous. It starts with objective thinking but leads much further, to experiencing 'objects' unknown to others.

                    *******And I believe I can say that that is true of our 'scientifically' educated citizens today. They have not a trace of objectivity. Ask for proof of the religion of 'Darwinism' or any other of a hundred beliefs in the "Religion of Scientism" and see how objective a person is. Most are using only the sentient and intellectual souls and so cannot be. Look at how many people accept 'global warming' and how few scientists have the courage to say the data are quite inconclusive. Try saying some things from anthrosophy to 'em, for that matter, like 'the heart may not be a pump'!

                    Robert writes:

                    Most? -- I don't know; this kinda brings us
                    back to my original question. We are living in
                    the epoch of the Consciousness Soul, and that
                    is manifesting most obviously (here in the USA)
                    in modern science and technology, and in
                    "democratic" political life. Again, these seem
                    to be manifestations of the "onlooker
                    consciousness" and the "instinctive
                    Consciousness Soul"...

                    *******Realization of the consciousness soul might have some ramifications in inventions technologically, since it leads to a higher and truer knowledge of the external world as well as the Self. But I don't consider those synonymous at all, either. People can invent things while having only illusory ideas of reality, like the imaginary 'atoms' and 'electrons' and 'photons'. If they are elaborating on discoveries already made, they may live in a world of illusory mental constructs and still produce inventions, so technology can have little or nothing to do with the consciousness soul. It can be only from the sentient and intellectual souls, as can be many other things. I don't see it behind much of the science and technology in the US. It was with men like Edison.

                       Also, I know of no such thing in anthroposophy as an "instinctive consciousness soul". If you read what I posted from Occult Science or my own words on the subject, clearly, to experience the consciousness soul has nothing 'instinctive' or unconscious about it. It's realizing oneself as spirit, as Steiner did when he wrote his Philosophie der Freiheit. Andre Gregory describes going through the awakening of HIS consciousness soul (and amusingly) in the film "My Dinner With Andre." It's something that summons you to full consciousness.

                    Robert writes:

                    I'd caution about invoking these other terms;
                    they're too exalted and, worse, nebulous. If
                    you're trying to bring clarity, better not to
                    suggest images of the Buddha sitting under the
                    Bodhi tree, and the like. Such images refer to
                    something far more advanced than the
                    Consciousness Soul.

                    *******Sorry you involuntarily picture Buddha when I say the word "enlightenment". [I think of Steiner's description in Knowledge of the Higher Worlds, myself.] And that you have other problems with certain words. I'd say that's a problem for you to solve, not a problem with the language in the e-mail, and I don't believe I need advice of caution since I speak from experience.

                       I believe that if you'll re-read the description of the awakening of the cosnciousness soul from Occult Science, or the other things I wrote, you'll find that people who have had an experience of the Consciousness Soul do indeed go through an 'enlightenment experience' and have called it a "cosmic consciousness" experience, for instance those in Bucke's book of the same name.

                       I'd say you may not be in the ideal position to decide what belongs to the experience of it or not. It opens up the higher levels as well, of course, so some people will experience much more than others; but that it opens up a new light and makes one experience oneself and all the outer world and your previous knowledge of it at a minimum, is undeniable.

                    Robert wrote:

                    -- As a point of fact, people can coin
                    concepts. For instance, I could gather a
                    knife, a comb, a candle, and a pillow into a
                    pile in a cat-box and call them *blitfx-
                    thingies*; I define *blitfx-thingie* as an
                    object that I just put into the cat-box. I
                    just created a concept and coined a term for
                    it; see? It might not be a very useful concept
                    in life; nevertheless it is an understandable
                    concept.

                    *******No, it is not; it would be a word. There is a great difference, and this is what Steiner wrote his philosophical works for. No one can CREATE a concept; we DRAW each concept from the world of concepts by intuition (not meaning the street-usage of the word 'intuition'). They are hierarchical and connected to each other by laws and this is why there is only one correct concept for a given reality. You can make up a group of words like "4-sided triangle" or "white blackness" but these have no real conceptual referent; they refer to nothing in the ideal world.
                       To use a later term from anthroposophy rather than philosophy, they are unreal lies caused by Luciferic influence.
                       It is very important in relation to philosophy and epistemology to not confuse concepts and words. In relation to our discussion of the 3 levels of the soul, they are perceived realities which men then must find the correct concepts for. I pointed out how the ancient Greeks named three parts of the soul and so did the ancient Hebrews. They found the same concepts but gave them different words.

                    *******POTENTIAL value, rather. The Agriculture lectures would have only potential value until you started gardening or farming and were actually putting them to use instead of just reading them. Similarly, there are exercises in the 2 above-named lecture-cycles that can be used to differently experience your breathing, personal realities like laughing and crying, and the course of your own individual life, so that these things you experience directly take on new significance.

                    Robert writes:

                    I'd prefer that the Steiner-saids and whatever
                    goes beyond them be clearly identified and
                    distinguished. And if you bring in your own
                    putative insights which go beyond Steiner's,
                    I'd prefer that you'd lay the necessary
                    groundwork for yours, as RS did for his. That
                    might be a lot of work, but it would be
                    necessary if you want me to take you seriously
                    as a spiritual researcher in your own right. I
                    believe that mere clairvoyance and "psychism"
                    do not make a spiritual scientist -- as STEINER
                    SAID.

                    Robert Mason

                    *******CONTROLLED clairvoyance does---and merely reading books and not developing your own direct perception of what Steiner saw makes a book-learned anthroposophist, who may be useful as a farmer or medical worker, but has not yet advanced to doing their own spiritual research. Anyone who really applies anthroposophy correctly begins having clairvoyant experiences, unless he or she blocks their own, as deeming it "mere" clairvoyance, for instance. The cause of that kind of loathing of and rejection of it is fear of one's own psychic ability and not wanting to allow it out. Same thing is often the cause of alcoholism. Once again, direct perception from my experience. Can debate about whether I interpret experiences correctly or not, but not that I had the experiences themselves. Sounds like most of the 'anthroposophists' you've met have had none. Not surprising, I said--- I've found the same. Just a sad reflection on our times. Not all are failures on the path of developing clairvoyance, however, never fear. Several of the ones I've known hid it from the ESP-hating crowd of so-called other 'anthroposophists'. And they just about crucified Willi Sucher for doing astrology readings but I've known many people he helped and he was right on target with them, predicting things twenty years in advance.

                       Will post something on what I see inhibits or aids the development of the consciousness soul when I have time.

                    -starman

                    Get ideas on sharing photos from people like you. Find new ways to share. Get Ideas Here!
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 24, 2008

                      ******* No insulting other members, either. You may regard it as humorous but I'm not sure Carol does.

                      -starman

                      www.DrStarman.com

                      To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
                      From: robertsmason_99@...
                      Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 20:09:15 +0000

                      --- In steiner@yahoogroups .com, "carol" <organicethics@ ...> wrote:

                      > I think within the activity of 'an anthroposophical' discussion, where
                      > 'self centered ambition' is recognized to be fully absent, there
                      occurs
                      > a little more positive stuff than a mere exchange of abstract ideas
                      and
                      > concepts.

                      Of course there is no personal ambition among
                      Anthros; we have all risen above that.

                      Are you in the market for a slightly used
                      suspension bridge?

                      Robert

                      Be the filmmaker you always wanted to be—learn how to burn a DVD with Windows®. Make your smash hit
                    • carol
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 25, 2008

                        Robert,  when  I wrote: "where 'self centered ambition' is recognized to be fully absent",  I really meant it, in a thorough sense.

                        Let me elaborate a little... meaning  that,  'once one, lets say me, has ascertained,  using whatever means I freely will, be it thought,  inner vision, inner full body experience, angelic or disincarnate resource spirit beings etc etc;  that  a given anthroposophist expressing him/her self within discussion is reflecting an earnest attempt to widen their spiritual knowledge/experience through the act of  socialization,  AND thus NOT intentionaly  pursuing  a self centered, one man/woman mission, THEN there exists a possibility for  more positive stuff to thrive within the exchange,  more than that of mere ideas.

                        However,  in retrosopect,  I understand that it's hard to draw a line here, seeing as people are known to unconsciously pursue selfish interests.  But all the same,  if such an individual where expressing themselve in a  truly genuine fashion,  even if  a condition of 'fault' were present,  good things would  still transcend from the  sharing in 'conversation'.  The 'fault element' would be shuffled a little by underlying soul forces....

                        OK,  can you see that?

                        Also,  in this exchange,  I've raised the topic of discussion just a little bit to a more superficial plane than it was in the original post - though certainly not to the extreme that you did.

                        Do you recognize this?

                        carol.

                        --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Mason" <robertsmason_99@...> wrote:

                        > --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "carol" organicethics@ wrote:
                        >
                        > > I think within the activity of 'an anthroposophical' discussion, where
                        > > 'self centered ambition' is recognized to be fully absent, there
                        > occurs
                        > > a little more positive stuff than a mere exchange of abstract ideas
                        > and
                        > > concepts.
                        >
                        > Of course there is no personal ambition among
                        > Anthros; we have all risen above that.
                        >
                        > Are you in the market for a slightly used
                        > suspension bridge?
                        >
                        > Robert

                      • Robert Mason
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 28, 2008
                          --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "carol" <organicethics@...> wrote:

                          > OK, can you see that?

                          Yes, when you put it as an if-then proposition,
                          I can see it.

                          > Also, in this exchange, I've raised the topic of discussion just a
                          > little bit to a more superficial plane than it was in the original
                          post
                          > - though certainly not to the extreme that you did.
                          >
                          > Do you recognize this?

                          Uh, no; I don't see what you mean by "raising"
                          to a "more superficial plane". Maybe you
                          meant *less superficial*?

                          -- And I can see much of what you say about
                          TV causing people to confuse fantasy with
                          reality. But this can also happen with books
                          and movies. For instance, in bars Bogart used
                          to run into people who wanted to take a poke
                          at him to prove they were tougher than he
                          was. And even in ancient Rome, I think,
                          actors were "stars". But TV likely intensifies
                          this pseudo-reality because of TV's hypnotic
                          effect and easy availability.

                          Robert M