Manly P. Hall part 2

  • Cheeseandsalsa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 13 12:53 PM
      Which work of Hall's did this come out of? He wrote "The Secret Teachings of All the Ages" but it is a massive piece of work. Where can we find part 1?

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 17 2:04 PM
        *******Manly Hall was a prolific writer who published dozens of works, as well as sponsoring the reprinting of many rare and out-of-print treatises through his organization, the Philosophical Research Society. As I said, this was posted on another group, so I don't know what work it's from. I'll try to find out. The PRS is online, by the way, here:   http://www.prs.org/

        -starman

        www.DrStarman.com

        To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
        From: Cheeseandsalsa@...
        Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 15:53:18 -0400
        Subject: [steiner] Manly P. Hall part 2

        Which work of Hall's did this come out of? He wrote "The Secret Teachings of All the Ages" but it is a massive piece of work. Where can we find part 1?

        Get ideas on sharing photos from people like you. Find new ways to share. Get Ideas Here!
      • tmasthenes13
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 18 12:25 PM

          > *******Manly Hall was a prolific writer who published dozens of
          works, as well as sponsoring the reprinting of many rare and
          out-of-print treatises through his organization, the Philosophical
          Research Society. As I said, this was posted on another group, so I
          don't know what work it's from. I'll try to find out. The PRS is
          online, by the way, here: http://www.prs.org/
          >====================================

          Dear Starman:

          I'm friends with Obadiah Harris, the President of PRS and the man who
          was chosen to lead PRS after Manly died, under still suspicious
          circumstances, possibly murder, in 1990. In the spring of 2004,
          Obadiah asked me if I would give a class at PRS on Steiner and
          anthroposophy and so I put together a weekly course that met for ten
          weeks.

          I taught in the "upper room" at the center and the big ornate stuffed
          chair that held Manly even when he reached 300 pounds was still there
          front and center like a throne intact. The room was dominated by a
          large portrait of Madame Blavatsky which faced the class to their
          right front, and so I felt obligated to acknowledge the presence of
          Helena Petrovna and work her somehow into my presentation each week.

          Manly's widow, Marie Bauer Hall, whom I was grateful to meet the year
          before she died at age 99, firmly believed that Manly himself was the
          reincarnation of Madame Blavatsky. Be that as it may for her wild and
          crazy reputation with things occult and esoteric, nonetheless, it did
          at least reflect Manly's deep devotion to HPB and the debt to her that
          he felt in his own esoteric development.

          Of course PRS is not what it used to be since Manly died, but it's
          really changed even since I gave my class. Right now there are no more
          classes and even the famed 11 o'clock Sunday morning main lectures
          have been cancelled. What is rising out of the ashes though, is the
          distance-learning program that Obadiah set up, called the UPR
          (University of Philosophical Research) where you can get masters
          degrees in Consciousness Studies and Transpersonal Psychology by
          listening to cassette tapes, but of course, now being able to meet
          with faculty over the Internet and telephone as well. UPR just
          received its national accreditation this year. Check out their website
          for the programs http://www.uprs.edu/

          I'd like to mention a few of the memorable teachers I befriended there
          --- people who might be of interest to your subscribers because of
          their Steiner connections:

          --- Pierre Grimes, a philosopher literally from the old Greek school,
          who, with his wife, founded the Waldorf School of Orange County. Check
          out his website here and tell me he doesn't look like Plato, Aristotle
          or any other Greek philosopher of that period. I also remember seeing
          Pierre and his family at the "world eurythmy tour" a few years back.
          http://www.openingmind.com/

          --- Stephan Hoeller, the Jungian scholar and Gnostic Archbishop of Los
          Angeles with whom I shared many a playful moment of bantering about
          Steiner and anthroposophy. (He used to sing "Rudolf the Red-Nosed
          Steiner" whenever he saw me.) Here is the Stephan's introduction to
          the Gnostic Church: http://www.gnosis.org/ecclesia/ecclesia.htm
          Here his Gnostic Society lectures; http://gnosis.org/gnostsoc/gnostsoc.htm
          While there, be sure to click on the great cover story about Stephan
          in the LA Weekly entitled: "Exile in Godville: Profile of a Postmodern
          Heretic"

          --- Jeffrey Mishlove, the eminent parapsychologist, who was
          instrumental in allowing several Steiner internet groups to form on
          his Intuition Network back in 1997 long before most of them would
          switch over to Yahoo. His Intuition Network is still around:
          http://www.intuition.org/ Jeffrey feels as much affinity with
          William James as Manly felt with HPB. Here then is
          http://www.williamjames.com/
          And Jeffrey's main site: http://www.mishlove.com/index2.htm

          Finally, there is a biography of Manly Hall that was just published.
          In fact, the book release party took place at PRS this past Summer
          Solstice, June 21. The author is Louis Sahagun, a reporter for the LA
          Times, who never knew Manly existed until he was assigned by the City
          Editor to write Manly's obituary back in 1990. That task inspired
          Louis' great interest in Manly and he spent the next 15 years working
          on and off at the biography. Louis' original title was *Hollywood
          Plato: The Life and Times of Manly Palmer Hall*, but now the title is

          *Master of the Mysteries: The Life of Manly Palmer Hall*
          by Louis Sahagun
          Here is a link to the book with the blurb copied below
          http://www.wingtv.net/mastermysteries.html

          In 1919, a Canadian teenager with a sixth-grade education arrived by
          train to the wilds of Los Angeles. Within a decade he had transformed
          himself into a world-renowned luminary and occult scholar. His name
          was Manly Palmer Hall, author of the landmark encyclopedia _The Secret
          Teachings of All Ages_ and the 20th century's most prolific writer and
          speaker on ancient philosophies, mysticism, and magic.

          Hall revealed to thousands how universal wisdom could be found in the
          myths and symbols of the ancient Western mystery teachings. He amassed
          the largest occult library west of the Mississippi and founded The
          Philosophical Research Society in 1934 for the purpose of providing
          seekers rare access to the world's wisdom literature. He became a
          confidante and friend to celebrities and politicians. In 1990, he
          died—some say he was killed—in what remains an open-ended Hollywood
          murder mystery.

          This dramatic story of Hall's life and death provides a panorama of
          twentieth century mysticism and an insider's view into a subculture
          that continues to have a profound influence on movies, television,
          music, books, art, and thought.
          Author Louis Sahagun is a staff writer at the Los Angeles Times. He
          contributed to a Times series on Latinos in Southern California that
          won a Pulitzer Prize. His work ranges from religion and the
          environment to crime and politics. He lives with his wife and daughter
          in California.

          Here is a very thorough article from the LA Times about Manly Hall,
          published when the biography was launched last June 21.
          http://www.latimes.com/features/books/la-et-hall21-2008jun21,0,5026720.story

          I encourage anyone who comes to Los Angeles to visit the PRS complex,
          mainly to experience the vast library there, a veritable treasure
          trove of thousands of occult and esoteric books that Manly collected
          from all over the world. Just ask for Dr. Obadiah Harris, tell him
          Tom sent you, and then Obadiah will lead you down to the subterranean
          secret vault below the library where you will see the copper canisters
          brought by Sir Francis Bacon and Sir Walter Raleigh to Virginia in
          1601 which contain evidence about the future founding of the USA i.e.
          Bacon's "New Atlantis," and the proof that Bacon is the true author of
          the works of Shakespeare ---- well, not exactly ;=) ---- but Obadiah
          is truly a gracious host and values the work of Rudolf Steiner highly,
          so he would warmly welcome any visitors to PRS from the Steiner stream.

          Tom Mellett
          Van Nuys, CA
        • Robert Mason
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 19 11:42 AM
            To Tom, who wrote:

            >>I encourage anyone who comes to Los Angeles
            to visit the PRS complex . . . . the
            subterranean secret vault below the library
            where you will see the copper canisters brought
            by Sir Francis Bacon and Sir Walter Raleigh to
            Virginia in 1601 which contain evidence about
            the future founding of the USA i.e. Bacon's
            "New Atlantis," and the proof that Bacon is the
            true author of the works of Shakespeare . . .
            .<<

            Robert writes:

            This raises a question of local interest in my
            neighborhood. Some years back (1990, I think)
            some psychic/New-Agey people from New Mexico
            came to Williamsburg, Va. and wanted to dig up
            the graveyard at Bruton Parish Church, claiming
            that Bacon's secret vault was down there
            somewhere. Mrs. Hall showed up too and joined
            in. (I recall seeing her speak about this.
            She was old and frail, and she got so excited
            that one of her younger companions had to
            restrain her.)

            Anyway, the authorities and congregation of
            that Church took a dim view of all this. Some
            of the group made a demonstration dig in the
            graveyard; the police got involved (arrests or
            the threats thereof; I don't remember). In the
            end, archeologists from Colonial Williamsburg
            dug in the graveyard and found no vault. The
            New Agers faded away from the scene.

            So, are these canisters in LA the ones that
            were supposed to be in Williamsburg? Where did
            the PRS get them? Did Bacon and Raleigh beat
            out the Jamestown settlers, or did you get the
            date wrong?

            Robert in Virginia
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 20 9:24 AM
              ******* Welcome to the list, Tom. Why don't you introduce yourself to our members?

                  Manly Hall was a good writer and commentator on great occultists' works. He never claimed to be anything more than a 'philosopher' himself, meaning he didn't succeed at developing his own direct cliarvoyant knowledge, and so is not in the same class as Steiner, but frequently he wrote worthwhile commentaries on occult truths for beginners.

                 But one thing, what evidence do you have that he didn't die of natural causes, at age 89? I heard no such rumor at the time.

              To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
              From: tmasthenes13@...
              Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 19:25:47 +0000
              Subject: [steiner] Re: Manly P. Hall: Hierophant of Hollywood

[...]

              Recent Activity
              •  1

              .

              Get thousands of games on your PC, your mobile phone, and the web with Windows®. Game with Windows