RE: [steiner] think piece: Is the Internet good or bad for the Consciousness Soul?

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7, 2008
      ******* This has nothing whatever to do with anthropsophy. It's conspiracy theory rubbish with someone using one or two concepts from out of anthroposphy to analyze the garbage, which is kind of like using gold utensils to eat poison off a plate. No more anti-Israel, "revisionist historians" or hysterical political ranting here, please. It's only a distraction from the spiritual path. True spiritual science empowers Man to accomplish; belief in conspiracy theories makes you believe yourself impotent and helpless, unable to influence your world. It's a thought-pattern that Steiner addresses many times, such as in Knowledge of the Higher Worlds. Moreover, the whole tone is assuming multiple prejudices to be "facts", while seeking spiritual knowledge requires ridding oneself of prejudice and retaining common sense. Simply put, to grasp spirit-science requires us to raise ourselves towards higher consciousness, not lower ourselves into a cesspool of irrational fear and hatred. Spend time listening to Beethoven and you might get somewhere, spend it listening to Noam Chomsky or Michael Moore and you're only going in one direction---down.

        There's an interesting article in the latest edition of the Steinerbooks catalog about how many leftists wind up mouthing anthropsophy, while not noticing that it is the exact opposite of leftist beliefs, and therefore causes cognitive dissonance, as much as trying to remain a Darwinist and become an anthroposophist would. Chuck out the prejudices and think freely and things may begin to seem quite different. Never mind whatever you think are "facts" in this kind of diatribe: feel the tone of it and ask, is this coming from the same plane as spiritual science? If it's overwhelmingly negative and pulls you down, reject it and go take a walk in the fresh air.

      As Goethe put it, "Only that which is fruitful is true."

      -starman

      www.DrStarman.com

      To: anthroposophy_tomorrow@yahoogroups.com; anthroposophy_world@yahoogroups.com; steiner@yahoogroups.com; anthroposophy@yahoogroups.com
      From: robertsmason_99@...
      Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 11:39:18 -0700
      Subject: [steiner] think piece: Is the Internet good or bad for the Consciousness Soul?

      To All:

      I ran across a blog by Michael A. Hoffman, who
      was discussing the publication and promotion of
      his new book:
      <http://revisionistr eview.blogspot. com/2008/ 07/war-of- ideas-and- promotion- of-judaism. html>

      For those who don't recognize the name, Hoffman
      is one of the deeper of non-Anthro thinkers and
      writers about the occult-political power
      structure....

      .

      Got Game? Win Prizes in the Windows Live Hotmail Mobile Summer Games Trivia Contest Find out how.
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 7, 2008

        Seriously Robert, come on.  Do you really count yourself among the Revisionists?  Or is this a prank?  You're one of the more likeable and friendly people in Anthroposophy, yet you've joined forces with people who are the antithesis of these qualities.  Maybe I'm not the only one with a dark side.

        I read Revisionist literature when I was in my early twenties, when I was a member of JZs school in Yelm , WA .  JZ is an anti-Semite if you didn't know (I used to buy copies of the Searchlight magazine from her book store.). Their anti Zionist theories are merely a thin veil obscuring a deeper hatred toward Jews in general.

        I'm sad to see you're still a member.

        --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, Robert Mason <robertsmason_99@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > benefited from just such electronic organizing
        > but there was no victory. Arousal there may be,
        > but consummation is another matter.
        >
        > >>Information is not power. The ability to
        > detect fraud is power. That ability has
        > atrophied in proportion of the extent to which
        > the printed page has been abandoned.
        > Coincidence?
        >
        > >>I'm hardly alone in this conviction. There is
        > a growing sense of an ominous decline in
        > intellectual ability. I hope you will take the
        > time to print out, read, contemplate and digest
        > the important essay, "Is Google Making Us
        > Stupid?" by Nicholas Carr, in this month's
        > Atlantic Monthly, at
        > http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200807/google
        > (click the "printer format" in the box at the
        > upper right).
        >
        > >>In spite of the notion that genius these days
        > comes in the shape of computer hackers and
        > software programmers in ripped jeans and
        > goatees, the elite, the people we aim to reach
        > with our new book, are predominately found
        > reading newspapers, books and magazines.
        > Whether they are a "dying breed" remains to be
        > seen. One of the tricks of the Cryptocracy is
        > what this writer terms, "predictive
        > programming," in this case to declare victory
        > in a war in which all the battles have not yet
        > been fought.<<
        >
        > -- Is that really WHERE THE BRAINS ARE -- still
        > in the realm of the print media?
        >
        > And is the Internet a net plus or a net minus
        > for the Consciousness Soul? -- My prejudice is
        > that it is a net plus, as least it seems to be
        > for me. I like the (relatively) free
        > availability of such vast information; it seems
        > to be "food for thought" that makes my
        > Consciousness Soul stronger. But I also have
        > to admit that it might be apt to become an
        > addictive distraction from "real life". And
        > maybe it makes my Attention Deficit Disorder
        > worse? I would think that it might well have
        > that tendency for people who do not regularly
        > practice meditational thinking.
        >
        > And in the wider socio-political realm? --
        > Well, we might compare the modern citizenry of
        > the USA to the revolutionary Minuteman and the
        > sturdy Jeffersonian-Jacksonian peasant on his
        > freehold. It seems a dismal comparison;
        > considering, for instance, the effective fight
        > in the early years of the Republic against a
        > private central bank, as compared to the supine
        > submission to the falsely so-called "Federal
        > Reserve System" over the past 95 years. -- But
        > on the other hand, maybe that sturdy peasant
        > is mostly an idealized phantasm of wishful,
        > ignorant nostalgia? The good old days couldn't
        > have been all that good; else how could they
        > have degenerated so badly into the present?
        >
        > Anyway . . .
        >
        > I don't know the answers to all these
        > questions. Right now, I'm just putting them
        > out there, hopefully as a springboard for
        > fruitful discussion. But this much seems
        > clear: the Internet is here, for better or for
        > worse, and we're going to have to live with it

      • happypick
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10, 2008
          Robert Mason wrote:

          Dear Robert et al,

          Each and every point you've brought up below is important, but I, myself, cannot take part in discussions involving those such as Gennady Bondarev due to my adherence to Steiner as my source. In spite of the occasional  errors in translations, I at least feel on "sure ground," so to say, with Steiner. Thank you for introducing possible varying viewpoint(s).

          Best Wishes,

          Sheila