RS re Providence

  • Robert Mason
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2008
      To All:

      If we are inclined to despair at the way that
      the world is going now, or especially at the
      troubles and failures of the Anthro Movement
      and Society(ies), we might wish to take a
      moment at least to consider how Steiner had
      "faith" in Providence, in the wise and loving
      order that ultimately rules in the world,
      despite appearances. RS did believe, with
      Paul, that all things work together for good ..
      . .

      In one instance he puts it this way, speaking
      to Anthros about Anthroposophical efforts:

      ". . . . that spiritual forces hold sway in the
      world, that they help us, that we may entrust
      ourselves to them. And if sometimes it seems as
      if things are not going well, then we say to
      ourselves that if we are not successful it is
      because the powers behind our activity do not
      intend us to succeed, and not to succeed would
      then be the right thing."
      (*Wonders of the World*; Lecture 1; 18th
      August, 1911; Munich; GA 129)

      So, sometimes even Anthroposophical failures
      can be the "right thing" for the development of
      world-evolution . . . in much the same way, I
      suppose, as cancer can sometimes be the "right
      thing" for an individual's development. Some
      might express much the same thought by saying
      that sometimes Divine Justice (which is Love's
      Severity) requires that we, mankind, need to be
      "punished" for our "sins".

      But this "punishment", rightly understood, is
      education . . . the hard way.

      I'd still much rather that we learn our lessons
      the easy way.

      Just a thought,

      Robert Mason

    • happypick2000
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2008
        --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, Robert Mason <robertsmason_99@...> wrote:

        > To All:
        >
        > If we are inclined to despair at the way that
        > the world is going now, or especially at the
        > troubles and failures of the Anthro Movement
        > and Society(ies), we might wish to take a
        > moment at least to consider how Steiner had
        > "faith" in Providence, in the wise and loving
        > order that ultimately rules in the world,
        > despite appearances. RS did believe, with
        > Paul, that all things work together for good ..
        > . .
        >
        > In one instance he puts it this way, speaking
        > to Anthros about Anthroposophical efforts:
        >
        > ". . . . that spiritual forces hold sway in the
        > world, that they help us, that we may entrust
        > ourselves to them. And if sometimes it seems as
        > if things are not going well, then we say to
        > ourselves that if we are not successful it is
        > because the powers behind our activity do not
        > intend us to succeed, and not to succeed would
        > then be the right thing."
        > (*Wonders of the World*; Lecture 1; 18th
        > August, 1911; Munich; GA 129)
        >
        > So, sometimes even Anthroposophical failures
        > can be the "right thing" for the development of
        > world-evolution . . . in much the same way, I
        > suppose, as cancer can sometimes be the "right
        > thing" for an individual's development. Some
        > might express much the same thought by saying
        > that sometimes Divine Justice (which is Love's
        > Severity) requires that we, mankind, need to be
        > "punished" for our "sins".
        >
        > But this "punishment", rightly understood, is
        > education . . . the hard way.
        >
        > I'd still much rather that we learn our lessons
        > the easy way.
        >
        > Just a thought,
        >
        > Robert Mason

        Dear Robert and Friends,

        It seems to me all of us might wish to learn our lessons the easy way,
        and I was reminded of Steiner's "Preparing for the Sixth Epoch," a
        lecture given in Dusseldorf, June 15, 1915 [GA 159] which may be
        available at the Steiner e-library. In this lecture Steiner emphasizes
        the necessity of our developing Fellowship communities rather than
        Blood Relationship communities, since it is the former which is
        necessary for our own times and on into the future. This necessary
        concept is so very difficult for modern mankind to adhere to, used to
        the family community concept as we are, but if we are able to truly
        understand the necessary and unique individuality of each one of us we
        might gain some glimmer of comprehension regarding this necessity for
        brotherhood not related to blood.

        Blessings,