The East, The West, and the I

  • carynlouise24
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2008
      Maharaj Charan Singh `Light on Saint Matthew' 1978

      A book printed from talks given by the above person. After reading
      this book it came to my mind this is the very reason Rudolf Steiner
      broke away from the `Indian' train of thought coming from the
      Theosophical Society. The reason why Rudolf Steiner emphasized his
      lectures are for the West.

      It is with respect to the author of this book that I write this
      however I need, for myself, to reconcile what I understand.

      There is an aspect in these writings which I would like to comment on
      and it is this aspect, an aspect which, to me, misses the key to
      Saint Matthew and the Light.

      The writings in this book talk about the passages in the Gospel of
      Saint Matthew; and comments made on these passages as written here;
      page 12

      `… John the Baptist, and Christ, and Moses came for a particular
      period. After finishing their allotted task of putting their
      disciples on the Path and showing them that Light, they merged back
      into the Lord and became part and parcel of Him.

      But now they cannot help us. As long as saints are in the flesh and,
      being at our level, are experiencing that Light within themselves and
      are also at the level of the Father, only then, through them, can we
      experience that Light and become one with the Father.

      That is why John the Baptist is trying to prepare the seekers,
      saying, the one who is coming after me is greater than I, because he
      will show you that Light. I know that I will be beheaded, and will
      leave this world and merge back into the Father. After that I will
      not be able to help you1 (footnote 1 John the Baptist is referring to
      the seekers and not to those whom he had initiated) and you will have
      to turn to Christ to show you the Light.

      And how will he initiate you? `With the Holy Ghost and with fire'.
      Fire means the Light, because light comes to us from fire. And what
      is this Light? It is that Light which gives us life, that `jyoti',
      that flame which shines within every one of us. And `Holy Ghost'
      means that Spirit which is within every one of us'.

      These are great words for sure. Except I query `… as long as saints
      are in the flesh … then only through them (being in the flesh) can we
      experience that Light …' It misses the very Spirit part spoken about
      directly after!

      But the crux of my comments is reading page 44 where the audience,
      mainly westerners, ask questions;

      Q: Could you just talk about humility?

      A: Humility means absence of ego. If you are able to eliminate ego
      from within yourself, naturally you are filled with humility, and
      humility will also bring love within you. If you really have love,
      then automatically you will become humble. And if you are full with
      love, then ego has no place in you. So elimination of the ego will
      fill you with love and humility, and unless we become humble we
      cannot travel on the Path, because the obstacle in our way is nothing
      but the ego.

      - It is not my intention to take these two passages out of context as
      the whole book needs to be read to attain the whole just of it.
      However, the just of the book hinges on these two passages.

      It is a sorrowful thing to hear the words `humility means absence of
      ego' and `eliminate ego from within'. Often, too often, egotism and
      the Ego are confused as being the one and the same.

      There is a very fine line here between saying egotistic and
      recognizing the Ego – the `I AM'. Possibly the author is referring
      to egotism, and therefore what he says has truth in it – however, it
      is not a matter of eliminating the ego but transforming it from its
      lower instincts into higher ones. Not elimination! The transforming
      of the Ego from lower instincts into higher altruism `I AM' is not
      addressed in this book.

      Maybe this is why it is said people will be born without Ego's,
      without individuality, because they themselves have wished it to be
      eliminated. Thinking to merge into collective consciousness whereas
      the development of our individual Ego is a very important part of
      evolution.

      We are here on earth to make progress and part of this progress has
      been coming from a collective consciousness into an individual Ego
      personality. This is very important to recognize and understand.
      Because if it is not understood correctly the Ego will demand
      attention as we see in recent unrests. It is the Ego saying `hey I
      AM an individual – recognize me – don't try and lump us altogether'.

      Now, it is the thought of this book if the ego is eliminated it does
      not create karma and therefore it does not come back into earth
      again. And again this misses the very point of the Ego again.
      Understandably this is an eastern way of thought and again respected
      but the author is addressing his path to western audience and
      therefore it needs to be addressed (albeit the book was written in
      the 70's) We are here to make progress especially with our Ego – one
      cannot stop at a certain point and say that's it I am not coming back
      (although I'm sure most of us in today's climate would like not to)
      but nevertheless each lifetime, each day, our Ego's are making
      progress and if we had to stop say in the 70's how can we expect to
      keep up with evolution – how can we expect our Ego's to make
      continually progress. If we stop at a certain point then too do our
      Ego's stop growing and developing – it is only on Earth we learn to
      transform our entire bodies which in turn translates into our Ego.
      And with this the world evolves with the transformation of our Ego's.

      Egotism and the Ego – our I – is a very fine line in this
      transformation.

      We understand through Spiritual Science if one is born an egotist he
      has come from the region of Ahrimen. When one passes through the
      gates of death an egotist – he returns to the region of Ahrimen. This
      is; he has not transformed his lower ego into a higher ego. We also
      understand it is Ahrimen who tells people they must be humble – be
      humble – eliminate your ego. There is one thing in being humble and
      there is another thing if fearing God. What the essence of being
      humble is – `Love God with all your heart'. The teaching of being
      humble receives this `neither you hot nor cold and I spew you from my
      mouth'.

      It is only a strong Ego – a strong `I AM' which takes into itself `If
      you do not believe Christ has risen from the cross your faith is in
      vain'. If one is (egotistically) humble these words have no meaning
      to the Ego.

      So there is a curious conflict in these writings under `Light on
      Saint Matthew' - first it says experience the Light within and then
      it says eliminate your ego and become humble. How does one
      experience the Light within by eliminating ones ego?!

      As said possibly the author is saying eliminate your lower egotist
      instincts but it is not said in order to experience the Light within
      transform your Ego. Become master of your Ego. It is suggested in
      the book only through a mystic or saint walking on earth can one
      experience the Light within. People have to become independent of
      these mystics, everyone is a mystic, people have the power within
      themselves to transform themselves. A mystic may be very helpful to
      meet and talk too but at the end of the day people have to be
      accountable for themselves.

      Looking at these words again:
      And how will he initiate you? `With the Holy Ghost and with fire'.
      Fire means the Light, because light comes to us from fire. And what
      is this Light? It is that Light which gives us life, that `jyoti',
      that flame which shines within every one of us. And `Holy Ghost'
      means that Spirit which is within every one of us.

      These are true words : The Pillar of Fire; the Light that shines in
      the darkness. But what is the darkness- it is the unmanifested ego.
      What does this Light transform – it transforms the Ego. A
      transformed Ego through the Light - Christ Light -becomes the Christ-
      Ego and through Christ-Ego consciousness the individual Ego becomes
      united with the Holy Spirit which is the essence of Christ-
      consciousness. Individual and united in and with Christ.

      This is the Path of evolution to-date the developing of our
      individuality in Christ. Not a group collective consciousness as it
      was before the gift of our Ego but individuality. One cannot
      eliminate one's individual personality – it simply is not the way of
      future evolution. However, one can transform lower individual
      instincts into higher wisdom. When we `merge' into Christ
      consciousness by working on this transformation we retain our
      personality which through the transformed Ego becomes further
      refined. It is a glorious gift which comes from the unfoldment of
      creation. Very important to make sure our Ego's are right there.

      Comments are welcome on this and again it is not my intention to
      criticize the above work only to make it reconcile to my
      understanding of the Ego.