Soul-Calendar, Verse 48

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2008

      Dr. Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, consisting of 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us as well as in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter Sunday.

      These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original 'Calendar ' also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month (to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos), plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events to contemplate on specific days.

      Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to this complete form. I have added some details on the planets as well.

      The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation AQUARIUS from February 9th to March 8th in our era.
      A version of a new symbolic image of the WATER-MAN (from the original Soul-Calendar, done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications) , is attached to this e-mail.

       *  M A N T R A  # 4 8  *

      Im Lichte, das aus Weltenhöhen

      Der Seele machtvoll fliessen will,

      Erscheine, lösend Seelenrätsel

      Des Weltendenkens Sicherheit,

      Versammelnd seiner Strahlen Macht

      Im Menschenherzen Liebe weckend.

      The Soul mightily would flow into

      The Light that out of World-Heights

      Appears, solving the Soul's Riddles

      Through the World-Thinking’s Certainty,

      Assembling its Mighty Rays

      To awaken Love in Man’s Heart.

        Some interpretation:

      We are heading towards spring, when our inner selves once more go to 'sleep', while the Earth instead awakens.

      Last week, we felt, by working with the mantra, Joy in the growth seen in Nature, our thinking prepared through the Divine to receive the revelations of this new life.

      This week, the growing Light we feel resolving all the World-Riddles that make our minds anxious, and in place of such fear it awakens Love in our hearts.

      Sunday, March 2nd. Moon Capricorn. 321 A.D. The celebration of Sunday begins to become common.

      Monday, March 3rd. Moon Aquarius. Kunigunder (husband Heinrich I).

      Tuesday, March 4th. Moon Aquarius. Leopold van Buch, Geologist, died 1853.

      Wednesday March 5th. Moon Aquarius. Eusebius (Christian writer of Caesarea in the 4th c.), 1512 Mercator the Cartographer born. 1827 Laplace died.

      Thursday, March 6th. Moon Pisces. 1274 Thomas Aquinas died. 1475 Michelangelo born. 1520 Australia was discovered. 1787 Fraunhofer born.

      Friday, March 7th. Moon Pisces. New Moon. Felicitas u. Perpetua (Christian martyr under the Emperor Severus, thrown to wild beasts in Alexandria).

      Saturday, March 8th. Moon Aries. Philemon (companion of Paul).

      PLANETS IN THE NIGHT & MORNING SKY (Northern Hemisphere):

         MARS is high in the south at sunset, above Orion the Hunter. It's the bright yellowish-red 'star' moving from near the Bull's horns towards the Twins of Gemini.

          Yellowish SATURN is in the East before midnight, beneath the Lion, south of the Big Dipper.

          VENUS and JUPITER, the brightest objects in the sky besides Sun and Moon, can be seen as brilliant 'morning stars' in the southeast from about an hour before sunrise on till dawn, to the left of the stars of the Scorpion directly south. The elusive MERCURY is also visible for a few days, near Venus.

         The waning crescent of the old moon may be seen close to Jupiter Sunday and Monday mornings; it then passes near Mercury and Venus Tuesday and Wednesday. All are visible shortly before sunrise. [The invisible planet NEPTUNE is also in the same area of the sky, though visible only with a telescope.]