Soul-Calendar, Verse 47: "Joy in (Spring) Growth"

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2008
      The 'CALENDAR OF THE SOUL'

      Dr. Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, consisting of 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us as well as in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter Sunday.

      These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original 'Calendar ' also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month (to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos), plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events to contemplate on specific days.

      Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to this complete form. I have added some details on the planets as well.

      The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation AQUARIUS from February 9th to March 8th in our era.
      A version of a new symbolic image of the WATER-MAN (from the original Soul-Calendar, done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications) , is attached to this e-mail.

       *  M A N T R A  # 4 7  *

      Es will erstehet aus dem Weltenschoss

      Die Sinnenschein erquickend, Werdelust.

      Sie finde meines Denkens Kraft

      Gerüstet durch die Gotteskraft

      Die kräftig mir im Innern leben.

      There will arise out of World-Womb

      The Senses’ shine to quicken, Growth-Joy.

      It shall find my Thinking’s Force

      Prepared through the Gods’ Forces

      That forcefully in my Inner self lives.

        An interpretation:

      We are heading towards spring, when our inner selves once more go to sleep while the Earth awakens.

      Last week, we felt by working with the mantra how the surging new life in the outer world would have benumbed our souls if the force of Memory hadn't come in to play its proper role of preserving the Vision the Spirit had of what it wishes to create this year.

      This week, we feel how we find joy in that growth, and that our thinking is well prepared through the Divine to receive the world's revelations of new life.

      THE DAYS OF THE WEEK

      Sunday, February 24th. Moon Libra.   Matthias the Apostle (chosen in Judas’ place).    Gutenberg died 1468.

      Monday, February 25th. Moon Scorpio. Cellini died 1571.

      Tuesday, February 26th. Moon Scorpio.  Jonas (the Prophet).

      Wednesday February 27th. Moon Scorpio. Ernst Renan born 1823. Martialis (acted for the spreading of Christendom in Gallien in the 3rd century).

      Rudolf Steiner born 1861.

      Thursday, February 28th. Moon Sagittarius. Last Quarter. Montaigne (the Skeptic) born 1533. Leander (Christian author).

      Friday, February 29th. Moon Sagittarius.   (No listing---there was no Feb. 29th in the original 1912 Seelenkalendar.)

      Saturday, March 1st. Moon Capricorn. Alcuin (teacher of Charlemagne, Christian author). 399 before Christ, Socrates takes the poison. Swidbertus (conveyor of Christendom to the Frisians).

      PLANETS IN THE NIGHT & MORNING SKY (Northern Hemisphere):

         MARS is high in the south at sunset, above Orion the Hunter. It is bright yellowish-red, moving from near the Bull's horns towards the Twins of Gemini.

          Yellowish SATURN is in the East before midnight, beneath the Lion, south of the Big Dipper.

          VENUS and JUPITER, the brightest objects in the sky besides Sun and Moon, can be seen as brilliant 'morning stars' in the southeast from about an hour before sunrise on till dawn, next to the stars of the Scorpion in the south.

        Early risers who can see the southeastern horizon may also see MERCURY close to Venus, a second bright 'morning star'.