Fercher von Steinwand and Mani

  • Robert Mason
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 13, 2008
      Research question to all:

      Does anyone have any info about a possible
      connection between the Austrian poet Fercher
      von Steinwand and the Spirit who was Mani?
      There may be some info in an article in *Der
      Europaeer*, Vol. 6, Num. 6: "Lenker der
      weissen Loge der Deutschen" by Andreas Bracher.
      I don't have the text, and I could hardly
      read it anyway; it's auf deutsch.

      Robert Mason

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
    • Robert Mason
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 19, 2008
        To All:

        I have posted photos of four book pages that
        are relevant to this question:
        <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cF-7RxYFiCKki843B6eZWWkqKdPtYg1WfwemQPX6o_To42aIdCE6aMu2jITnF6TmcmKGII3f5w7ujHGmlBxIFtHS7uHxzSWEuad9d_qN/P2120030%5B1%5D.JPG>
        <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cF-7R7QCYXKki843-qCfNTTe0aUsOafozdOcRzi58IXFJ3O3jyRpR0qoTMY38xIzH_V_a_wAseVb7nm-YQBqwvzPrrX8mCYqG4Jyz8Bs/P2120031%5B1%5D.JPG>
        <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cF-7R_mNPgOki843nzaUWotiJGULmqcrlBv2--P5cdaanC8ipfAbLBBz6Vr0k3i4pr2XYS2SAvYada0OgdKYGmvuwr_9JFrnVpnd_h7G/P2120032%5B1%5D.JPG>
        <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cF-7Rxgk0Ziki843CDY2lsuGimKG3d4riI7g_JPpruUJa2WNkiYci8_O4Yz7aA29D5AxAZIu0aY_DiUxUj9amXK50lIVIGJ20kV2_t94/P2120033%5B1%5D.JPG>
        (Unhappily, I don't know the title or author
        of this book.

        The first photo especially is dark and blurry,
        but the others are not quite so bad. I guess
        the legibility depends a lot on the quality of
        one's visual display. Perhaps some pixel-
        people here might do some light-blasting or
        something to make the text more readable. But
        it is in German.

        There's info in there somewhere, for whoever
        can dig it out.

        Robert Mason

        Looking for last minute shopping deals?
      • Robert Mason
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2008
          To All:

          I still haven't found any information that
          directly connects Fercher with Mani, but I have
          found some statements that RS made about
          Fercher. For instance:

          (*Riddle of Man*: "Pictures from the Thought-
          Life of Austria") "I learned to know him
          [Fercher] at the end of the 1880's in Vienna
          and for a short time associated with him
          personally."

          (*The Story of My Life*: "Chapter: VII") "I
          consider the fact that I came to know Fercher
          von Steinwand as one of the most important
          events of my youth; for his personality acted
          like that of a sage who reveals his wisdom in
          genuine poetry. . . . in the play of
          countenance, in every gesture of Fercher, I saw
          the essence of a soul which could only have
          been formed in the time from the beginning of
          the Christian evolution, while Greek paganism
          was still influencing this evolution."

          It is evident that Steiner considered Fercher
          to be a very significant spirit: meeting him
          was "one of the most important events of my
          youth"; I would assume that RS did not make
          that statement lightly. And what RS says about
          Fercher's previous incarnation is consistent
          with the place and time of Mani's life.
          Probably Steiner knew more than he was saying
          explicitly here -- only hinting at something
          very important?

          Elsewhere Steiner said something solemn and
          momentous in connection with Fercher:
          (*Mysteries of Light*: "Lecture III") ”I once
          read aloud here from this same platform a
          thesis of Fercher von Steinwand, that German-
          Austrian poet, who in the sixth decade of the
          19th century expressed his opinion about the
          future of the German people. The lecture is
          noteworthy because it was given before the
          ruling King of Saxony and his ministers. In
          this sixth decade — those who were there at the
          time heard it — Fercher von Steinwand said that
          his German people is predestined some time in
          the future to play a role somewhat like that
          which the Gypsies were playing then. It was a
          deep glimpse into the evolution of humanity
          which Fercher van Steinwand had."

          Apparently RS was endorsing Fercher's prophecy.
          And Steiner was really "hitting on all
          cylinders" at the time; he had a clear view of
          the future. In the same lecture he made this
          grave prophecy: "Let the kind of teaching that
          prevails in our universities continue for
          another three decades, let social questions be
          treated as they are now for thirty years more,
          and you will have a devastated Europe." He
          said this in December, 1919; of course the
          prophecy was fulfilled in less than thirty
          years.

          And Fercher was not the only one to make this
          prophecy. Bondarev wrote (in *The Crisis of
          Civilisation*): "Rudolf Steiner warned that
          the situation might come where the Germans are
          driven out of their native land and scattered
          over the entire earth. If we understand the
          dark spirit that rules in our time, we can say
          that the realization of this plan is already
          conceivable. It is enough to activate the
          radical Right-wing parties in Germany a little
          and unleash a corresponding campaign in the
          world-press - and under general expressions of
          approval the Morgenthau-Plan will be realized,
          or the Germans will be scattered over the other
          lands and continents.* {*There is a statement
          by Goethe to Wilhelm Riemer, the teacher of his
          son August, containing the following: "Who
          knows - destiny will beat them (the Germans)
          because they betrayed themselves and did not
          want to be what they are. It will scatter them
          over the earth like the Jews. - And rightly so!
          For the best of them live in exile and only in
          exile, in dispersion, will they develop the
          wealth of good that lies within them, for the
          benefit of the nation, and be the salt of the
          earth!" And Trithemius of Sponheim writes in
          *De septum mundum regnatibus Archangelis*: "The
          descendants of Lohengrin ... will be numbed and
          destroyed ... The Germans, scattered throughout
          the world like gypsies, will have to muster all
          their strength to retain culture for the earth
          as pupils of Michael ..." (translation from the
          Latin by Karl Luttenberg, 1943; Publisher's
          Note).}"

          I once mentioned this prophecy to a German
          Anthroposophist, and he replied that the
          Germans are already scattered like Gypsies. I
          think he was probably referring to the massive
          emigration of Germans to places such as the USA
          in the past few centuries. But I don't think
          that this emigration was the scattering
          that Fercher, Steiner, Goethe, and Trithemius
          were predicting. For one thing, that
          emigration was already well underway when
          Fercher spoke and practically completed when
          Steiner spoke; for another, it was not
          emptying Germany of Germans; and for another;
          the German descendants in the USA have not
          remained Germans as the Gypsies have remained
          Gypsies.

          It seems that this "scattering" still lies in
          the future. Germany has already been crushed
          and made powerless; she is effectively ruled by
          her enemies, and her people have mostly been
          "re-educated". The best products of her spirit
          (Goetheanism and Anthroposophy) have not
          reached fruition in the wider society, and are
          struggling even to survive. The hatred of the
          true German spirit is still such that her
          enemies on Earth (e.g. some that we know on the
          English-speaking Internet as the "Waldorf
          Critics") are loudly and energetically
          agitating against Anthroposophy. . . . And, if
          we take Steiner's warning seriously, it is
          apparent that this hatred has yet to do its
          worst against the German people themselves:
          Mid-Europe will be emptied of Germans and the
          survivors will be scattered like Gypsies. And
          why not? Germany is almost disarmed in
          relation to the rest of the world. Even
          Pakistan now has enough nukes to turn Germany
          into a radioactive desert.

          Sad, sobering thoughts.

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2, 2008

            I see some positives in living in a declining civilization.

            While society crumbles away, the social ties that bind the individual to tradition and conformity are also loosened; consequently people are freer than ever to explore the Mysteries, i.e. anthroposophy.

            Progress can be made—even in dying cultures, after all—on the level of "the individual".

            I see myself getting along equally well in both stages of culture, both the high and the low.  I'm comfortable at a Rammstein concert as I am at a recital of Saint Matthew's Passion.

            Ultimately, societal problems are in God's hands, not mine.