Correction (The Moon)

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2008

      I wrote:

      "…if you were standing on the Moon, the Earth would appear almost completely stationary; it would not rise and fall over the Moon horizon, but would always face the Moon as the Moon rotated around the Earth."

      I should have emphasized "almost completely stationary" instead of saying the Earth is completely stationary, if you're looking at the Earth from the surface of the Moon.  I don't know what I was thinking.  The Earth moves through the Moon's sky according to a thirty day cycle.

      Click here and watch a short YouTube video clip of the Moon orbit.