RE: [steiner] ** Should we start reading the Portal Initiation now?

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 14, 2007
      ******* I'd encourage everyone to start reading it whenever they wish to. It has eleven scenes. It's usual for an anthroposophical group reading something together to have someone take each chapter and present it to the group, put into your own words what you get out of it. We would start on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. Who would like to present the first scene? The second?
         Last year it didn't work very well because people didn't commit in advance. We seem to have only a half dozen people participating in the list: who would like to volunteer? Any of you people who refuse to get e-mail from the list?

      To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
      From: tma4cbt@...
      Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 20:45:11 +0000
      Subject: [steiner] ** Should we start reading the Portal Initiation now?

      **  When do we begin reading the "Portal Initiation"?  I'm just now able to start reading our material for the Holy Nights and I didn't know if I should begin with "The Green Snake" or with the "Portal Initiation."  I've already read most of the "Green Snake" so far, and appreciate Starman's summaries on this story.

      Starman wrote:

      The Portal of Initiation, the first of Steiner's "Mystery Plays", may be found online here:

      http://wn.rsarchive .org/Books/ GA014/English/ APC1925/GA014- 1_contents. html

      When groups take it up reading it, people usually choose parts to read. Guess we couldn't exactly do that opnline!

       But each person could still choose a character to identify with particularly. One central character is Johannes, the artist who was introduced to the spiritual path by Maria, a pupil of Benedictus (a sort of Dr. Steiner figure). Then there are the two academics, the young scientist Dr. Strader and the old literature professor, Capesius, and about a dozen more characters. I've acted in it, as well as in a staging of Goethe's Fairy Tale on which it was based. If the group chooses to read the play over the 12 Holy Nights, which I think is a great idea, perhaps I'll post the Fairy Tale here between now and then, and we can discuss that a bit first.

      i’m is proud to present Cause Effect, a series about real people making a difference. Learn more