Twelve Holy Nights

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 20, 2007

      Good to hear from you carynlouise24, as well as Sheila.

      I'm trying to hunt down an online copy of Schuré's Sacred Drama of Eleusis, but have been un-successful so far.

      I have been able to find another work by Schuré's, however.  Perhaps this work might be of interest to people in this forum or to the group as a whole during the 12 Holy Nights.

      Krishna and Orpheus: the great initiates of the east and west

      Yet another option for the 12 Holy Nights would be "The Fourth Dimension" (1912), by Charles Hinton.

      The barrier to both these options is that there's a lot of reading material involved.

    • carynlouise24
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 20, 2007

        Good to hear from you carynlouise24, as well as Sheila.

        I'm trying to hunt down an online copy of Schuré's Sacred Drama
        of Eleusis, but have been un-successful so far.

        I have been able to find another work by Schuré's, however. Perhaps
        this work might be of interest to people in this forum or to the group
        as a whole during the 12 Holy Nights.

        Krishna and Orpheus: the great initiates of the east and west

        http://ia310940.us.archive.org/2/items/MN40098ucmf_1/MN40098ucmf_1.pdf

        Yet another option for the 12 Holy Nights would be "The Fourth
        Dimension <http://www.archive.org/details/fourthdimension00hintarch>
        " (1912), by Charles Hinton.

        The barrier to both these options is that there's a lot of reading
        material involved.

        Interesting titles Matthew - good to think about.
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 21, 2007
          *******One thing that I've tried to consider in past years is if the book we choose to read together is available online, so that everyone in this internet "group" can read whatever we choose to take up.

          For those who don't know about it,the Steiner e-Library is here:

          http://www.rsarchive.org/eLib/?rfr=elib

          www.DrStarman.com

          To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
          From: carynlouise24@...
          Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 06:43:31 +0000
          Subject: [steiner] Twelve Holy Nights

          --- In steiner@yahoogroups .com, "Mathew Morrell" <tma4cbt@... > wrote:

          Good to hear from you carynlouise24, as well as Sheila.

          I'm trying to hunt down an online copy of Schuré's Sacred Drama
          of Eleusis, but have been un-successful so far.

          I have been able to find another work by Schuré's, however. Perhaps
          this work might be of interest to people in this forum or to the group
          as a whole during the 12 Holy Nights.

          Krishna and Orpheus: the great initiates of the east and west

          http://ia310940. us.archive. org/2/items/ MN40098ucmf_ 1/MN40098ucmf_ 1.pdf

          Yet another option for the 12 Holy Nights would be "The Fourth
          Dimension <http://www.archive. org/details/ fourthdimension0 0hintarch>
          " (1912), by Charles Hinton.

          The barrier to both these options is that there's a lot of reading
          material involved.

          ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ____

          Interesting titles Matthew - good to think about.

          Get the power of Windows + Web with the new Windows Live. Power up!
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 21, 2007

            I think a mystery play would be fun.  I've been reading plays a lot lately—Hamlet, Street Car, The Importance of Being Earnest—and it's a great medium.

            How about reading The Portal of Initiation, which is the first in a series of four mystery plays written by Steiner.

            We could read one act per day for 11 days, and on the 12th day we could summarize the entire initiation.

            If we could get two or three people to participate that would be a raving success in my opinion.  Great things start from small beginnings.

            > *******One thing that I've tried to consider in past years is if the book we choose to read together is available online, so that everyone in this internet "group" can read whatever we choose to take up.
            >
            > For those who don't know about it,the Steiner e-Library is here:
            > http://www.rsarchive.org/eLib/?rfr=elib
            > www.DrStarman.com
            >

            > To: steiner@...: carynlouise24@...: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 06:43:31 +0000Subject: [steiner] Twelve Holy Nights
            >

            > --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "Mathew Morrell" tma4cbt@ wrote:Good to hear from you carynlouise24, as well as Sheila.I'm trying to hunt down an online copy of Schuré's Sacred Dramaof Eleusis, but have been un-successful so far.I have been able to find another work by Schuré's, however. Perhapsthis work might be of interest to people in this forum or to the groupas a whole during the 12 Holy Nights.Krishna and Orpheus: the great initiates of the east and westhttp://ia310940.us.archive.org/2/items/MN40098ucmf_1/MN40098ucmf_1.pdfYet another option for the 12 Holy Nights would be "The FourthDimension <http://www.archive.org/details/fourthdimension00hintarch>" (1912), by Charles Hinton.The barrier to both these options is that there's a lot of readingmaterial involved.____________________________________________________Interesting titles Matthew - good to think about.

            > Put your friends on the big screen with Windows Vista® + Windows Live™.
            > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/shop/specialoffers.mspx?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_CPC_MediaCtr_bigscreen_102007

          • happypick2000
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 21, 2007

              > Good to hear from you carynlouise24, as well as Sheila.
              >
              > I'm trying to hunt down an online copy of Schuré's Sacred Drama
              > of Eleusis, but have been un-successful so far.
              >
              > I have been able to find another work by Schuré's, however. Perhaps
              > this work might be of interest to people in this forum or to the group
              > as a whole during the 12 Holy Nights.
              >

              > Krishna and Orpheus: the great initiates of the east and west
              > <http://ia310940.us.archive.org/2/items/MN40098ucmf_1/MN40098ucmf_1.pdf>
              >
              > Yet another option for the 12 Holy Nights would be "The Fourth
              > Dimension <http://www.archive.org/details/fourthdimension00hintarch>
              > " (1912), by Charles Hinton.
              >
              > The barrier to both these options is that there's a lot of reading
              > material involved.

              Mathew, these all sound wonderfully fascinating and certainly
              appropriate, and maybe we need to have "a lot of reading material
              involved". Thanks for including the links.

              Blessings,
              Sheila
            • carynlouise24
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 22, 2007
                I think studying the Mystery Play 'The Portal of Initiation' is an
                excellent creative idea. I haven't read it before so will be to do a
                bit of prep. The Mystery Play writings are fill of creativity into
                higher worlds.

                Cool.
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 22, 2007
                  ******* The Portal of Initiation, the first of Steiner's "Mystery Plays", may be found online here:

                  http://wn.rsarchive.org/Books/GA014/English/APC1925/GA014-1_contents.html

                     When groups take it up reading it, people usually choose parts to read. Guess we couldn't exactly do that opnline!

                      But each person could still choose a character to identify with particularly. One central character is Johannes, the artist who was introduced to the spiritual path by Maria, a pupil of Benedictus (a sort of Dr. Steiner figure). Then there are the two academics, the young scientist Dr. Strader and the old literature professor, Capesius, and about a dozen more characters. I've acted in it, as well as in a staging of Goethe's Fairy Tale on which it was based. If the group chooses to read the play over the 12 Holy Nights, which I think is a great idea, perhaps I'll post the Fairy Tale here between now and then, and we can discuss that a bit first.

                  To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
                  From: carynlouise24@...
                  Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 12:28:21 +0000
                  Subject: [steiner] Twelve Holy Nights : Mystery Play

                  I think studying the Mystery Play 'The Portal of Initiation' is an
                  excellent creative idea. I haven't read it before so will be to do a
                  bit of prep. The Mystery Play writings are fill of creativity into
                  higher worlds.

                  Cool.

                  Your smile counts. The more smiles you share, the more we donate. Join in!
                • carynlouise24
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 23, 2007
                    How wonderful to act in a Mystery Play! Yes, performing on line has
                    its challenges though no reason why it cannot be accomplished to be a
                    fine creative and professional work of art.

                    Identifying with a character will be a laugh ... getting into the
                    skin so to speak ! I will be reading the Play over the weekend and
                    will see what comes up. In the meantime look forward to the Fairy
                    Tale extracts if you have the time Dr. Starman and then we should
                    look at a schedule of events.

                    Will be nice to have more people involved else we might have to take
                    on more roles at once .. 'Audition's will be held at ... ' !! But I
                    should read the Play first.

                    Best regards.

[...]

                    Starmanwww.DrStarman.com

                    To: steiner@...: carynlouise24@...: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 12:28:21
                    +0000Subject: [steiner] Twelve Holy Nights : Mystery Play