Re: upside-down 3folding (was: Schichten Urteilen)

  • happypick2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2007
      --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, Robert Mason <robertsmason_99@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > before Tomberg openly joined the Jesuitic-
      > Hermetic occult "stream". [Well, not quite
      > openly; he did make an inept attempt to
      > maintain anonymity. But the important point is
      > that he took a complete, head-first plunge into
      > that anti-Anthroposophical stream and abandoned
      > even the muddled claim to be doing
      > Anthroposophy.] And perhaps, in fairness to
      > Tomberg, I should note that the later,
      > Jesuitical Tomberg effectively disowned his
      > earlier, allegedly Anthroposophical writings; I
      > presume that this "Bible study pamphlet" was
      > among those. -- But all this is parenthetical;
      > right now, the important thing is to get the
      > 3fold order right side up.)
      >
      > Here is what Steiner did say in his basic book
      > on the 3fold order:
      >
      > ". . . . the economic member of a healthy
      > social organism. This member is comparable to
      > the head system of the human organism . . . ."
      > (*Basic Issues of the Social Question*, Chapter 2)
      >
      > In this book he didn't explain in much detail
      > why this analogy is correct and why the other
      > one is upside-down; the correct analogy is
      > implicit in his whole discussion. But
      > elsewhere he was more explicit on this point
      > (for instance, in the lecture of June 24, 1920
      > [Stuttgart; published in *Polarities in the
      > Evolution of Mankind*]).
      >
      > In the individual human organism the metabolic-
      > limb system supplies the life forces; the
      > rhythmic-heart-lung system and the head-nerve-
      > sense system "live on" these life forces.
      > More, the head system brings death forces into
      > the organism. -- In the social organism the
      > cultural-spiritual "sphere" brings the life
      > forces; the other two spheres "live on" these
      > social-life forces. And in the social organism
      > the economic sphere brings death forces.
      >
      > So, the correct analogy puts the economic
      > social sphere in correspondence to the head-
      > nerve system and the cultural sphere in
      > correspondence to the metabolic-limb system.
      > (And the legal-political sphere corresponds to
      > the rhythmic system.)
      >
      > And: making this correct analogy is not merely
      > an exercise in anal-retentive pedantry. If we
      > make the wrong analogy, we might miss the
      > important fact that the spirit, the culture,
      > supplies the essential foundation of the living
      > social organism . . . and miss the important
      > fact that no society can live based only on an
      > economy. The wrong analogy essentially makes
      > the same fundamental error that underlies
      > Marxist social theory: economic determinism.
      > Marxism sees economic processes as fundamental
      > to society and sees "culture" as being only a
      > "superstructure", an "ideology". Marx not only
      > stood Hegel on his head; he stood sociology
      > upside down and ontologically inverted the
      > spiritual and the material.
      >
      > Society can develop an economy only because
      > that social organism first comes to life
      > through the spirit; when economic forces
      > predominate over the cultural-spiritual in a
      > society, that society is dying. This is
      > fundamental. Steiner got it right; Marx and

      Dear Tom, Robert and Friends,

      This conversation, which I apparently missed out on during Tom's
      posting, reminds me so very much of my very frequent RE-discoveries so
      often found in my Steiner readings. A recent example is in regard to
      my pondering about a long time friend, my first mentor, and I told
      myself to the effect, "Well, now she's at such and such a stage in the
      Sp. Wrlds and is still in the sphere from which she could contact
      those close to her here on earth...." The reality was my close friend
      and mentor had already passed through 1/3rd of her last earthly
      incarnation and therefore was very unlikely to have remained in such
      close communication to the earthly sphere by now. Steiner's works are
      so incredibly all-encompassing and comprehensive to the point that I
      am increasingly becoming unable to always sift out, so to say, well
      known details on the spot until afterwards. Why this is so for me, I
      cannot understand, but it is the case.

      Blessings,
      Sheila
    • Robert Mason
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2007
        --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "happypick2000" <happypick@...> wrote:
        > This conversation, which I apparently missed out on during Tom's
        > posting. . . .

        Dear Sheila:

        You missed it because I was cross-posting my
        reply from Yahoo Anthroposophy and Anthroposophy
        Tommorrow. There's been a lot of cross-posting
        between those two lately, and I just included
        the Steiner list this time because of the
        importance of this subject.

        Robert M
      • happypick2000
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 6, 2007
          wrote:

          > --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "happypick2000" <happypick@> wrote:
          > > This conversation, which I apparently missed out on during Tom's
          > > posting. . . .
          >
          > Dear Sheila:
          >
          > You missed it because I was cross-posting my
          > reply from Yahoo Anthroposophy and Anthroposophy
          > Tommorrow. There's been a lot of cross-posting
          > between those two lately, and I just included
          > the Steiner list this time because of the
          > importance of this subject.
          >
          > Robert M

          Robert, thank you. I found it interesting as no doubt many others also
          did and one can always surf over to the other sites for followups if
          needed. That's what I should have done, but I was pleased to see such
          a fascinating conversation taking place in Steiner where we have so
          very many deeply knowledgeable APs! Let's hope more such interesting
          points pop up. Thanks you also for the notice of Kar. Rel. Vol III
          being online at the e-lib. That is one I have pondered on over and
          over again! Which of the two types am I? Such a critical insight
          brings us incredible insights, not only into our own lives but into
          those of others as well! Some years ago when I was first loaned it to
          study, my mentors so very wisely said it was alright that I was not
          yet a Member, since I would fail to understand various points should I
          not be ready! WOW! How very true! As the more modern expression might
          have it, it blew my mind! :)

          Keep on posting,